Utah Moab Trip 4/27/19-5/5/19

Nice! Congratulations! Welcome to the trailer group that is starting to build up here. Want to paint mine too before Moab and upgrade a few side marker lights.
I'll be adding new lights and side markers as well. I figured for the price I could put a bit more into it and make it look great while still saving 1k on something new. That way it will hurt less when its just sitting around and also not impact the wallet so much when it comes time to sell it.
That looks really nice! When I was looking for one, I was prepared to buy a project so I was watching some good youtube videos on replacing the deck. Some of them made it look pretty easy. I got lucky when I found mine because it was actually used to move equipment, I never hauled a car nor have the ramps even been out of their slots. Mine was practically brand new. I got really lucky because they were either really nice or junk. I missed out on a couple good ones because it took me a couple days to reply.

Anyway I think the deck is relatively easy, especially since you are working on your Jeep and your house, I bet you are just handy enough to do it.

Congrats on the trailer! it looks really cool.

Replacing the deck doesn't look that bad at all. Since it does have a dovetail at the end though I will more then likely need to cut out the angle iron that holds the boards in place to replace them. Then have a welder burn them back in. Honestly, the deck would probably hold up fine for a few more years but since I have to do the wiring anyways it seems easier to have it out of the way.

Reactions: ac_
I'll be adding new lights and side markers as well. I figured for the price I could put a bit more into it and make it look great while still saving 1k on something new. That way it will hurt less when its just sitting around and also not impact the wallet so much when it comes time to sell it.

Replacing the deck doesn't look that bad at all. Since it does have a dovetail at the end though I will more then likely need to cut out the angle iron that holds the boards in place to replace them. Then have a welder burn them back in. Honestly, the deck would probably hold up fine for a few more years but since I have to do the wiring anyways it seems easier to have it out of the way.
I have a dove tail Carson trailer as well. I've replaced my deck and it was easy. Just like you said, cut out the iron that holds the boards in place, replace the boards and weld iron back in to hold the boards in place. I used treated wood when I replaced mine.

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
I have a dove tail Carson trailer as well. I've replaced my deck and it was easy. Just like you said, cut out the iron that holds the boards in place, replace the boards and weld iron back in to hold the boards in place. I used treated wood when I replaced mine.
That's my plan. I figure I would rather suck up the cost of treated wood then needing to replace it again. I really need to learn to weld / get a welder.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Keep us posted with pictures as you fix up your trailer.
Will do. Once I get started I'll probably document the progress on my build thread. Weather dependent I'm hoping to get the deck off later in the week / weekend. With any luck I'll have it done by next month so I can tow the jeep down to Hollister with it. I would love to have a test run before the 2k round trip to Moab.

Reactions: ac_ and JMT
Will do. Once I get started I'll probably document the progress on my build thread. Weather dependent I'm hoping to get the deck off later in the week / weekend. With any luck I'll have it done by next month so I can tow the jeep down to Hollister with it. I would love to have a test run before the 2k round trip to Moab.
That would be a good test run. What are you towing the trailer with?

That would be a good test run. What are you towing the trailer with?
My ram 1500 ecodiesel. I've used it to tow the jeep with uhaul trailers and it does just fine. I just added the trailer brake switch so now I need to go to the dealer and have them flip the on switch.

Reactions: lowranger

Yeah I need to get hooked up and to a test run also.

@lowranger, what tie downs do you use. I was thinking about picking up a set from macs 2 6' and 2 8's, or do you have a better solution?

Reactions: Alex01
Went out and took some pictures for you.
IMG_20190205_094253338_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190205_094302544_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190205_094323630_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190205_094338244_HDR.jpg

Reactions: JMT and ac_
Sorr

Sorry I meant the actual tie downs like the straps. I was wondering what you bought and size. For instance I am looking at Macs with 2 6' straps and 2 8' straps but I don't know if they are really too short or too long.
Oh! I have 2" wide ratchet traps. Mine are too long. I use axle straps on the front of the Jeep to hook the ratchet straps to.

Reactions: ac_
How long is too long?
I don't know how long they are, but they are long, alot left over after securing the Jeep, like 10' left over. I use to use them when hauling hay for our horses. I didn't want to buy new ones or cut these down in case I need to haul something else that I need longer straps for. Haul all kinds of different things on the trailer.

I don't know how long they are, but they are long, alot left over after securing the Jeep, like 10' left over. I use to use them when hauling hay for our horses. I didn't want to buy new ones or cut these down in case I need to haul something else that I need longer straps for. Haul all kinds of different things on the trailer.
Makes sense. I will have to drive the Jeep on the trailer and do some measuring.

I can measure one of my straps for you if you like.
Nah it's all good. I can put my Jeep up there. it is what I need to do anyway because our trailers are different sizes anyway. I was really just curious if there was a rule of thumb more than anything

I just ordered my Tie downs for my car trailer

Macs 8ft with axle wraps and direct hooks. It is the ultra kit. Getting closer @lowranger My camper tie downs should be here tonight hopefully.