Utah Moab Trip 4/27/19-5/5/19

Wow! You are Rocking and Rolling!
I feel like there is a ton of shit to still do, so I am taking care of the big stuff first.

I am not sure what comes with the camper tie downs. The PO gave me some nice turnbuckles and an extended hitch so hopefully I am good, but the front turnbuckles need some chain extensions, I doubt they come with the tie downs so that means probably a run to the Home depot to figure out what I need.

Also not positive if the extended hitch will be long enough, but can't tell tell I get my camper on and my tie downs on my truck so there is still a lot of work to do. It is the fun part right?

I feel like there is a ton of shit to still do, so I am taking care of the big stuff first.

I am not sure what comes with the camper tie downs. The PO gave me some nice turnbuckles and an extended hitch so hopefully I am good, but the front turnbuckles need some chain extensions, I doubt they come with the tie downs so that means probably a run to the Home depot to figure out what I need.

Also not positive if the extended hitch will be long enough, but can't tell tell I get my camper on and my tie downs on my truck so there is still a lot of work to do. It is the fun part right?

Do you think you'll need air bags for the rear with that added weight?

Do you think you'll need air bags for the rear with that added weight?
So, that is a consideration. I haven't done any suspension mods at all. I am considering Billstein 5100's if I need them. The previous owner of the camper told me that he had the camper originally on his Nissan Titan and needed airbags, but soon sold it and bought an F150 and didn't. I am hoping since mine is a GMC 3/4 HD 4x4 that I might get lucky and not need them. Like the Jeep it has a steep rake so I am hoping it will level it. If it needs them I will get them, but yeah that is another consideration to get ready for the trip.

He told me that he put this camper in his F150 and towed a big boat and didn't do any suspension mods at all. He actually delivered the camper for me to my house and when we loaded it onto his truck it sunk in the back, but it didn't raise the front of his half ton. He may of had a helper spring, but he told me it was all stock. Best I can do is load it all up and see what it needs, but I have ordered parts from all over the US and it is taking its sweet ass time getting to me haha. Looks like the truck tie downs will come tomorrow, which means I will probably install them this weekend and set the camper down on it.

I just got my jeep out of the garage. I finally finished all of the work, and my driveway is finally cured, so I drove it in today yaya.

That's my plan. I figure I would rather suck up the cost of treated wood then needing to replace it again. I really need to learn to weld / get a welder.
You can stick one end under and bow the middle of the board up while a friend tucks the other end under and you won’t have to cut the angle out. Get the really wet treated boards they’re more “bendy”.. have fun in Moab.

Reactions: Alex01
I don't know how long they are, but they are long, alot left over after securing the Jeep, like 10' left over. I use to use them when hauling hay for our horses. I didn't want to buy new ones or cut these down in case I need to haul something else that I need longer straps for. Haul all kinds of different things on the trailer.
I roll the excess up and run a large zip tie through the middle of the roll. Sure wish I had a kitchen pass I never get enough Slickrock.

RIGHT!

You can stick one end under and bow the middle of the board up while a friend tucks the other end under and you won’t have to cut the angle out. Get the really wet treated boards they’re more “bendy”.. have fun in Moab.
I'm sure that would work for the 12ft pieces but I cant imagine I would get enough flex out of the 4ft dovetail section.

Reactions: DrDmoney
So, that is a consideration. I haven't done any suspension mods at all. I am considering Billstein 5100's if I need them. The previous owner of the camper told me that he had the camper originally on his Nissan Titan and needed airbags, but soon sold it and bought an F150 and didn't. I am hoping since mine is a GMC 3/4 HD 4x4 that I might get lucky and not need them. Like the Jeep it has a steep rake so I am hoping it will level it. If it needs them I will get them, but yeah that is another consideration to get ready for the trip.

He told me that he put this camper in his F150 and towed a big boat and didn't do any suspension mods at all. He actually delivered the camper for me to my house and when we loaded it onto his truck it sunk in the back, but it didn't raise the front of his half ton. He may of had a helper spring, but he told me it was all stock. Best I can do is load it all up and see what it needs, but I have ordered parts from all over the US and it is taking its sweet ass time getting to me haha. Looks like the truck tie downs will come tomorrow, which means I will probably install them this weekend and set the camper down on it.

I just got my jeep out of the garage. I finally finished all of the work, and my driveway is finally cured, so I drove it in today yaya.
You should be fine with a 3/4 ton. The structure is much more rigid over a 1/2 ton

Reactions: ac_ and Alex01
You should be fine with a 3/4 ton. The structure is much more rigid over a 1/2 ton
That is why I purposely bought a no frills light as I could find with the features I wanted for glamping trailer. My trailer is 1800 lbs fully loaded. I think I will be OK too. Hopefully I will find out this weekend.

Reactions: JMT