Utah Moab Trip 4/27/19-5/5/19

Why don't you just come with us, and you can read it first hand?

That’s a good idea, unfortunately I’ve got something going on during the week of those dates, but I had considered flying in for one of the weekends. Downside is that it looks like closest airport is 4 hours away.

I think that’s overnight, day use it appears are only available 24 hrs ahead of time.
Yes, the overnight is. Oh okay, the day use is only 24 hours ahead .... nice. I was going to do it 4 years ago and was going to take 2 days to go through it. But decided on other trails instead. Thought maybe I would come back to it later and try it.

I'm going to post up a bit more of my research on some trails to consider. There are four that sound interesting. These come from Charles A Wells book linked to on Amazon here. If these pages should be removed, I will do so. Otherwise, I hope they encourage people to buy the book!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/193483825X/?tag=wranglerorg-20&tag=wranglerorg-20

I really prefer loops rather than forward and reverse on the same trail. But I also realize a trail going in is different than the same trail in reverse. Just trails to consider. My favorite is this one.

Devil's Racetrack

It's rated as the same difficulty as Hells Revenge and Top of the World. It just has a lot to offer in terms of view, Indian pictographs, arches, et. al. Just sounds very interesting and not difficult to reach. The author recommends it as one of his favorite trails.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney and ac_
Elephant Hill

Discussed before. A bit of a drive to get to but an all-time favorite of many. This one requires a day-use pass and a fee at Canyonlands National Park. Many people who have gone once and missed this trail wish they had done it. Degree of difficulty is less than the others, more like Fins-N-Things, but lots of fun!

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
Strike Ravine

This looks really interesting. Great views of the LaSal Mountains. Get to pass through BFE and see the entries for the most difficult trails (without having to do them!) 33's and one locker recommended. Close to Moab. 3-5 hours to finish. Old mines along the trail. Looks fun. Difficulty is less like Fins-N-Things.

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
Box Car Loop

Not as well known. Pretty accessible. Need a rear locker. Difficulty is less than Fins-N-Things. Not my favorite of the four I've mentioned, but sounds beautiful, different scenery. 3-4 hours to complete.

Strike Ravine

This looks really interesting. Great views of the LaSal Mountains. Get to pass through BFE and see the entries for the most difficult trails (without having to do them!) 33's and one locker recommended. Close to Moab. 3-5 hours to finish. Old mines along the trail. Looks fun. Difficulty is less like Fins-N-Things.

View attachment 80293

View attachment 80294

They all sound great, my next trip back I plan on doing more of these types of trails. We went with a group that wanted to hit all of the iconic Moab trails as it was their first time. The only way you can go wrong is not taking pictures.

Reactions: JMT
They all sound great, my next trip back I plan on doing more of these types of trails. We went with a group that wanted to hit all of the iconic Moab trails as it was their first time. The only way you can go wrong is not taking pictures.
Let me know when you go. I’ll try just about anything as long as I am convinced I’ll be driving out. I’m moving to the PNW soon so I’ll be a little closer to Moab and certainly closer to the Rubicon Trail. Im about done building so I’ll be saving more for adventures.

Reactions: ac_
I’ve driven from SLC, it is a ways away, there is a small airport nearer in grand junction (GJT) but normally it’s quite $$$ to fly there and still about an hr and a half
It does tend to cost more to fly from Grand Junction Airport but there’re no lines and no hassle. I’m just 40miles east so it’s where I typically fly out of. There is some epic wheeling in GJ as well I’m told. Haven’t done any of them yet. Hopefully this year.

Let me know when you go. I’ll try just about anything as long as I am convinced I’ll be driving out. I’m moving to the PNW soon so I’ll be a little closer to Moab and certainly closer to the Rubicon Trail. Im about done building so I’ll be saving more for adventures.
I’ll do that. BTW the Rubicon is 45 minutes from my house if you make it there let me know.

Reactions: Alex01 and JMT
I’ll do that. BTW the Rubicon is 45 minutes from my house if you make it there let me know.
Rubicon is on my bucket list. Just need to find time and other people.

@DrDmoney and I have been talking about that. We'll get a thread going for an end of summer run, k.
YES!!!! As of now I only have one trip planned this summer in over summer. Early august we are going to take the jeep down to big bear and explore. I'm sure what ever date you guys are looking at I can make happen.

YES!!!! As of now I only have one trip planned this summer in over summer. Early august we are going to take the jeep down to big bear and explore. I'm sure what ever date you guys are looking at I can make happen.

Maybe early September. I need to look at the Rubicon Calendar so we don't go during a group event.

Reactions: Alex01