Utah Moab Trip 4/27/19-5/5/19

Re Moab:

Check out Behind the Rocks, also Tiptoe Behind the Rocks, both good trails.
Yeah, I had looked at the Behind the Rocks. It looks very fun to run. Problem is, they recommend body armor and 35’s. Looks pretty tippy at spots. I’m seeing some rolled over rigs on that trail. White Knuckle looks pretty dicey. High Dive looks awesome but dangerous.

I very much enjoyed reading thru this thread as my son and I are planing to take our rigs out to Moab around July 15.

While it would be great to come out for this trip....pesky seasonal job (planting) interferes!

Can anyone comment on the ability / availability to get into the Sand Flats rec area camping with an RV? First come first serve during mid July?

Or better suggestions on where to camp? (w/o spending $50 night!)

I very much enjoyed reading thru this thread as my son and I are planing to take our rigs out to Moab around July 15.

While it would be great to come out for this trip....pesky seasonal job (planting) interferes!

Can anyone comment on the ability / availability to get into the Sand Flats rec area camping with an RV? First come first serve during mid July?

I had the same problems you had.

Lazy Lizard Hostel is $8/night in town.

For The state park camping, Arrive on Thursday’s for best options on first come first serve. About $20/night.

I had the same problems you had.

Lazy Lizard Hostel is $8/night in town.

For The state park camping, Arrive on Thursday’s for best options on first come first serve. About $20/night.

July 15th would be a Monday so that might help. It appears that you can stay up to 14 days once you find a spot.

Peak season pricing at the commercial campgrounds is Mar-May then Sept-Oct. Which was kind of leading me to think Moab isn't as busy in the heat of July? (Maybe wishful thinking?)

Reactions: JMT

It’s pretty warm in July so make sure your cooling system is 100%. I would go through and replace hoses and put a new serpentine belt on. Take plenty of water and sunblock. Less tourists there in summer that’s a plus.

July 15th would be a Monday so that might help. It appears that you can stay up to 14 days once you find a spot.

Peak season pricing at the commercial campgrounds is Mar-May then Sept-Oct. Which was kind of leading me to think Moab isn't as busy in the heat of July? (Maybe wishful thinking?)

I think July is more European tourist season, far less Jeeps and mountain bikers. At least that’s what I observed 5 years ago coming back from a job in Chicago I stayed there a few days.

Reactions: Farmergreg
It’s pretty warm in July so make sure your cooling system is 100%. I would go through and replace hoses and put a new serpentine belt on. Take plenty of water and sunblock. Less tourists there in summer that’s a plus.
^excellent advice
I overhauled my Cooling system in October; mopar radiator and waterpump. New thermostat, hoses, and serpentine belt.

I'll bring one of those blue 5 gal water containers you use at camp.

Reactions: DrDmoney
^excellent advice
I overhauled my Cooling system in October; mopar radiator and waterpump. New thermostat, hoses, and serpentine belt.

I'll bring one of those blue 5 gal water containers you use at camp.
Do you have a UHF/VHF or CB radio? I would definitely carry one or both, you might not see a lot of other rigs on the longer trails. There’s a full moon on the 16th of July so night wheeling would be awesome on the less technical trails.

Reactions: Farmergreg
Do you have a UHF/VHF or CB radio? I would definitely carry one or both, you might not see a lot of other rigs on the longer trails. There’s a full moon on the 16th of July so night wheeling would be awesome on the less technical trails.

CB's are on the agenda.

The moonlight wheeling goes against my fatherly preaching:
"If you want to survive your youth, get in by dark"

Reactions: DrDmoney
I'm all booked up at the KOA, looking forward to it. I've been going through the TJ here over the past few weeks, looks like I'm good to go other than a CB. That'll be going in soon.

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
I'm all booked up at the KOA, looking forward to it. I've been going through the TJ here over the past few weeks, looks like I'm good to go other than a CB. That'll be going in soon.
Do you have a particular brand or model?

@lowranger, tell me about camping at Moab? Do you guys go out for dinner or stay in camp and grill?

One month, are you guys ready? I got my trailer ready and my camper is done except for I want to thoroughly clean it. I cleaned all of the bedding and cushions. I pulled apart all of the upholstery, and washed it, and put it back together, now I want to super clean everything else to like brand new. I want to then practice towing it around.

I am in the middle of putting airbags on my tow vehicle. and I am considering putting my onboard air on the truck also, if I can get it all done this week. I plan on towing the Jeep on the trailer this weekend to the local ORV park to practice towing the trailer with the Jeep on it. Just little stuff left over to do now after the air bags.

Reactions: JMT