Utah Moab Trip 4/27/19-5/5/19

I know you’ll have @Alex01 in for the con, that’s all he’s been building his rig for

Are you driving to Moab or being toad?
Driving. I think it’s about 1000 miles. I’d love to tow but I’m not set up and it’s just too short a time to get all that together. Hopefully in the future. Driving will make for an interesting road trip. I’m looking to do some of the things in your thread about making a TJ/LJ more comfortable for long drives. I think I’m going to start with the sound-mat and see where that lands me. I like to do one mod at a time so I can isolate the difference that one thing makes. That’s a really good thread you started!

The Con is a long way from me. But I’ve been wanting to go to CA anyway. By then I hope I can get toad.

Driving. I think it’s about 1000 miles. I’d love to tow but I’m not set up and it’s just too short a time to get all that together. Hopefully in the future. Driving will make for an interesting road trip. I’m looking to do some of the things in your thread about making a TJ/LJ more comfortable for long drives. I think I’m going to start with the sound-mat and see where that lands me. I like to do one mod at a time so I can isolate the difference that one thing makes. That’s a really good thread you started!

The Con is a long way from me. But I’ve been wanting to go to CA anyway. By then I hope I can get toad.

Yeah I’m hoping to do some things long term too, like I said in that thread I really want my Jeep to be an expedition I can go anywhere kind of vehicle which I think is what drew me to the LJ. It was great talking to Blaine and getting his perspective, he basically said: don’t say “it’s a Jeep so it’s only going to be so good”, I’ve had rigs drive just as well as any other thing out there.

I’ll probably try and get the sound proofing in just before Moab also will be staying tuned to what you find out.

A lot to see in that area of the rubicon too, Yosemite is amazing although the valley can be a bit of a zoo in the summer.

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
Let's not forget napa, sf, lake tahoe and my favorite truckee.

Reactions: JMT
Was hoping to make Moab next spring for the first time in a Jeep, this would be great. Lucky for me it’s only a 2.5hr drive if I trailer it. I’m new to Jeeping and would be looking to tag along with a group on some of the more moderate/difficult trails if possible. The Jeep will be more capable than my experience level so running with a few of you more experience guys would be helpful.

Did you guys purposely schedule this right after the Jeep Safari? The weather should be great and the town should be empty, guessing. Doubt it would of been a noticeable TJ invasion otherwise.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Did you guys purposely schedule this right after the Jeep Safari? The weather should be great and the town should be empty, guessing. Doubt it would of been a noticeable TJ invasion otherwise.
Yes..... We planned it that way for the least amount of people or events in Moab. Wanting to avoid big crowds.

Gents, I'm following this and marking the calendar. I had two trips planned to Moab last year with the wife and kids (KOA camping) but got rained out both times. I'll be trailering the '99 Sahara down from SLC, and I like the idea of avoiding the massive jeep crowds but still going with a few like minded folks. I'm in the same boat as Powdermonkey; picked up my first Jeep early last year and learning a lot.

Hey everyone! I'm a new jeeper, and I don't foresee myself building out my Jeep for serious trails before April. . . But coincidentally I am planning to be in/around Moab at about that time. Mind if I swing by and say hello?

Hey everyone! I'm a new jeeper, and I don't foresee myself building out my Jeep for serious trails before April. . . But coincidentally I am planning to be in/around Moab at about that time. Mind if I swing by and say hello?
No problem.... come on by and say "Hi" to us!

so my first time in a jeep was in june 2017. while on a road trip I went to Moab and rented a jeep from twisted jeep rentals for some fun. I did chicken corners, and hurrah pass and a few other easy ones. so that hooked me on a jeep . Fast forward and this summer my wife and daughter want to road trip with me and rent a jeep. my problem is I know my wife would freak at something like chicken corners going around the cliffs. Are there any trails which don't hug the cliffs to enjoy?

Reactions: Paintbiscuit
Well do you count switchbacks as cliff hanging? I can't speak for all of Moab but I ran a lot of trails in the northern section just south of the airport around the Determination Towers and the Monitor and Merrimac Buttes which is virtually all flat and mostly sandy trails with a bit of slick rock. There are so many ways in and out that you really don't have to ride over the same ground twice if you don't want.

Shafer Trail (142) is a great trail although a bit short if you rush it. If you run this and if you begin in the Canyonlands National Park you will pay the Park's entrance fee, the switchbacks descend into the valley as it runs below Dead Horse Point. However if you begin out of Moab on 142 (at the Potash Ponds) you avoid the Park fee. There is a small stair climb on that side, however the trail is rated easy.

You could connect Shafer with Long Canyon Rd (rated moderate though not sure why) for a RT out and back to Moab.

I use AllTrails as a resource for looking at new areas and have found them to be pretty accurate.

Sweet thanks for the update, I just wanted to start getting notices if anybody updates. I couldn't go look at trailers this weekend because I got really sick. I am feeling better now thank you hehe. But yesterday. I found a guy that wants to trade a camper for my toy hauler, so if that works out I am going to be in great shape. If nothing happens by the end of the month I am going to just get serious and go ahead and buy a trailer. I hate waiting so long. Right now my jeep is in the shop all torn apart. Had to remove the trans to replace a freeze plug behind the flywheel. Still waiting for parts. Will update. Also just poured a new driveway in front of my garage so my jeep is stuck in there till the concrete bakes a while, so I thought it was a good time to take it apart.

Reactions: JMT and tomtaylz
Sweet thanks for the update, I just wanted to start getting notices if anybody updates. I couldn't go look at trailers this weekend because I got really sick. I am feeling better now thank you hehe. But yesterday. I found a guy that wants to trade a camper for my toy hauler, so if that works out I am going to be in great shape. If nothing happens by the end of the month I am going to just get serious and go ahead and buy a trailer. I hate waiting so long. Right now my jeep is in the shop all torn apart. Had to remove the trans to replace a freeze plug behind the flywheel. Still waiting for parts. Will update. Also just poured a new driveway in front of my garage so my jeep is stuck in there till the concrete bakes a while, so I thought it was a good time to take it apart.
What kind of camper? One that goes in the bed of your truck? Sorry you have been sick.

Reactions: ac_
What kind of camper? One that goes in the bed of your truck? Sorry you have been sick.
Yeah I am looking for a lance 650 - 850. The guy talking about trading me has a lance 821s. It is a little bigger than I wanted, but if the deal is right, I will consider it. So far it looks like we are both happy with the deals although neither of us have seen each others toys yet. And he lives a couple hours a way, so there is some more coordinating to do for sure.

But if we can't do the deal in a couple of weeks, I am going to scrap it, and make a car trailer my first priority, so I can at least haul my Jeep. Then I will get reservations for some thing close. But Ideally I want to stay at the KOA with you find folks!

Yeah I am looking for a lance 650 - 850. The guy talking about trading me has a lance 821s. It is a little bigger than I wanted, but if the deal is right, I will consider it. So far it looks like we are both happy with the deals although neither of us have seen each others toys yet. And he lives a couple hours a way, so there is some more coordinating to do for sure.

But if we can't do the deal in a couple of weeks, I am going to scrap it, and make a car trailer my first priority, so I can at least haul my Jeep. Then I will get reservations for some thing close. But Ideally I want to stay at the KOA with you find folks!
That would be great if the deal goes through with the camper! You could hang out with the cool guys in the RV park. Still get a flat bed trailer to tow your Jeep on?

Reactions: JMT and ac_
That would be great if the deal goes through with the camper! You could hang out with the cool guys in the RV park. Still get a flat bed trailer to tow your Jeep on?
That is what I mean't if the deal goes pear shaped, I will at the very least make buying he car hauler my number one priority in February to make sure it is ready for the trip.

Reactions: lowranger and JMT