Utah Moab Trip 4/27/19-5/5/19

Okay......thanks.
Where might you be moving too?
We are moving to Spokane WA. Timing is up in the air though, depending on when we sell our home.

I will be sadly leaving TX rock crawling behind, but there will be new adventures ahead!

We are moving to Spokane WA. Timing is up in the air though, depending on when we sell our home.

I will be sadly leaving TX rock crawling behind, but there will be new adventures ahead!
Wow! That's a big move.....but yes, new Adventures ahead.
Weather is going to be different for you. Selling the property too that you hunt?

Wow! That's a big move.....but yes, new Adventures ahead.
Weather is going to be different for you. Selling the property too that you hunt?
Yes, it is a huge move for a family of seven. There we will experience four seasons for the first time in our lives. A bit colder, of course, and snow.

Here in TX the house and property are together. It's a great place with elevation changes for safe hunting grounds not far from town. There is some sadness in that respect, but we're already looking at the adventure of Elk hunting up north. And seeing new critters perhaps, like Moose, and Caribou in the panhandle of ID or Montana, as well as Bear. A few members here are from that area so I'm going to hit them up for some tips and hope to get a good head start.

On a lighter note, this Sunday we're heading to South TX for our annual big game hunt near Cotulla. These are large properties, most of which have now been fracked for oil and have pad sites. It provides a kind of eerie background noise and a series of flames burning off gas dotting the horizon during evening hunts. It's my last big game hunt in TX for awhile I'm sure. I just want to enjoy the peace and tranquility of it all. The skies the limit as to what we could see; white tail, hogs, javelina, coyote, bobcat, mountain lion, as well as birds like the green jay, cardinals and mexican eagles. And spending some time with long time friends, barbecuing, shooting the bull and drinking a few cold ones while we gut the deer mid morning or under starlight. I reckon I hope we have a good hunt. I hope my two boys are able to take a couple, which is more important than me doing so. Thanks for asking. Want a real nice place in TX? I can hook you up...It has a few Jeep trails on it too, not too big, just right for this area.

Wow! Very cool, Spokane is right down the road from me (3hrs). There will be many adventures to be had up this way.

Reactions: JMT
Wow! Very cool, Spokane is right down the road from me (3hrs). There will be many adventures to be had up this way.
Alright! Sweet. I can't wait to run some trails with you. Looks like Idaho is right in between us....You know, it really is cool to already be able to make some contacts before we move up. That's a great thing about this forum.

Reactions: EJD
Yes, it is a huge move for a family of seven. There we will experience four seasons for the first time in our lives. A bit colder, of course, and snow.

Here in TX the house and property are together. It's a great place with elevation changes for safe hunting grounds not far from town. There is some sadness in that respect, but we're already looking at the adventure of Elk hunting up north. And seeing new critters perhaps, like Moose, and Caribou in the panhandle of ID or Montana, as well as Bear. A few members here are from that area so I'm going to hit them up for some tips and hope to get a good head start.

On a lighter note, this Sunday we're heading to South TX for our annual big game hunt near Cotulla. These are large properties, most of which have now been fracked for oil and have pad sites. It provides a kind of eerie background noise and a series of flames burning off gas dotting the horizon during evening hunts. It's my last big game hunt in TX for awhile I'm sure. I just want to enjoy the peace and tranquility of it all. The skies the limit as to what we could see; white tail, hogs, javelina, coyote, bobcat, mountain lion, as well as birds like the green jay, cardinals and mexican eagles. And spending some time with long time friends, barbecuing, shooting the bull and drinking a few cold ones while we gut the deer mid morning or under starlight. I reckon I hope we have a good hunt. I hope my two boys are able to take a couple, which is more important than me doing so. Thanks for asking. Want a real nice place in TX? I can hook you up...It has a few Jeep trails on it too, not too big, just right for this area.
Thanks for the offer, but I have it pretty good here. Nice home and lots of hunting.
Nice that you already know people where you are going.

I use to like hunting Idaho, until they started protecting the wolves and then there was hardly any game left. Now they are allowing wolf hunting. Hope the game comes back. That was up by Stanley. I got a nice 5x5 Mule deer 28" wide. Oh....in Texas that would be a 10 pointer, so you will have to change how you talk about how your buck was out west here. :)

My Dad lives about an hour north of Spokane. I haven't talked to him in a while, but the last time I talked to him he said he has a resident bear that lives in his back yard. He has made tree stands in his 50 acre backyard to watch game move at night and early morning. He loves it up there.

My Dad lives about an hour north of Spokane. I haven't talked to him in a while, but the last time I talked to him he said he has a resident bear that lives in his back yard. He has made tree stands in his 50 acre backyard to watch game move at night and early morning. He loves it up there.
I like putting a feeder out with a game camera to see what's out there. On day a bear decided he wanted to see what the game camera tasts like. I got a real good picture of his nose.

Reactions: ac_
So what are my odds of striking up a friendship with your dad and hunting the land? :sun_smiley:

Reactions: ac_
I like putting a feeder out with a game camera to see what's out there. On day a bear decided he wanted to see what the game camera tasts like. I got a real good picture of his nose.
I have a pic of a Mountain Lion on our game cam when it was literally 5 yards from my retaining wall. The kids didn’t get outside the coop for about 2 months after that. I’ll try to dig up the pic...

I love love LOVE Moab! Gone during EJS 2 times, it was packed of course but awesome to see all kinds of differently built rigs. I was fortunate enough to go up Lions Back the year before it got closed. Ass pucker climb!
The rock is unbelievable how grippy it is. I’m used to granite rock and the sand stone will get you in trouble quick.
Hells revenge can take a whole day or two just playing around. Golden Spike is a mellow ride and killer photo opp doing the crack
Rim is nice, great views
Pritchett is my favorite, but it’s pretty gnarly
Area BFE is fun too. From mild to wild trails but gotta pay to get in.

And if any of you golf. The course is killer. Do twilight and at dusk the colors on the rocks are beautiful. Golf and beer!

And don’t forget the new blood alcohol limit for Utah .05. Cops don’t eff around in Utah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey ac_ .... don't you have an "8 ball" for your shifter and maybe even for your transfer case lever?
Not an 8 ball but a retro black roundie:

20171119_224412.jpg

So what are my odds of striking up a friendship with your dad and hunting the land? :sun_smiley:
Odds are pretty good actually. Although, he is pretty close to 100 now, and it might be like hunting with Mr. Magoo, but I am sure he would enjoy the company.

Thanks for the offer, but I have it pretty good here. Nice home and lots of hunting.
Nice that you already know people where you are going.
Its fantastic you’ve got great hunting grounds. I’ve been fortunate to see some pics. The real offer was free hunting for anyone of you who came over. But now I’ll be gone.