Moab, Utah Trying to Control UTVs

explorerlyon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Copying a post from a Utah group about recent efforts in Moab regarding UTV. I haven't been wheeling in Moab for a couple of years, but UTVs are sure annoying on other trails.

Moab.jpg

Yikes.

But I know the crowd well having been into quads, dirt bikes and UTVs up until a few years back. They are their own worst enemy when it comes to noise, speed and a general lack of regard for tread lightly. I’m sounding old here but the whole finance all the things crowd and dune folks are toolbags for the most part. Sucks but it what it is.

Yikes.

But I know the crowd well having been into quads, dirt bikes and UTVs up until a few years back. They are their own worst enemy when it comes to noise, speed and a general lack of regard for tread lightly. I’m sounding old here but the whole finance all the things crowd and dune folks are toolbags for the most part. Sucks but it what it is.
Yep, definitely their own worst enemy. I used to ride ATVs growing up, and it was always those assholes who ruined it for everyone and got all of our trails shut down in CT. Stupid dumb partying rednecks. Now if the cops see you with an ATV in the back of your truck they basically stop you and ask you where you are going, thinking you will be going somewhere illegal. Can't say I blame them, for a while there were idiots just riding ATVs and dirt bikes right through people's yards and private property to be dicks.

Yep, definitely their own worst enemy. I used to ride ATVs growing up, and it was always those assholes who ruined it for everyone and got all of our trails shut down in CT. Stupid dumb partying rednecks. Now if the cops see you with an ATV in the back of your truck they basically stop you and ask you where you are going, thinking you will be going somewhere illegal. Can't say I blame them, for a while there were idiots just riding ATVs and dirt bikes right through people's yards and private property to be dicks.
One of the biggest hurdles in fighting for Johnson Valley was trying to get the locals on our side. Oh, ya'll offroad? Yeah, fuck off.
Uh, what is the problem? You off roaders come out here on the weekends to the little shithole cabins you bought and run amok through our fences, yards, private property, make a mess and then leave only to do it all over again the next weekend. We're tired of it and no we aren't going to help you.

Turns out it was ATV, and UTV owners with the odd old CJ tossed in there that were just terrorizing the place.

Yikes.

Yes, that is the sad truth. Don't know why most of the ATV and UTV folks think they have to drive them 90 mph every where they go. I still have an ATV and UTV. Went to a UTV event about 4 years ago in Wells Nevada. A lot of people were wanting to haul ass, so a few of us just dropped back to the end of the line and let them go. We took our time and enjoy the country. When we got back to camp, one of the "speeders" were camped next to us. They were sitting in their chairs covered in dust and looked beat. I asked them, "Did you see the wild horses"? Answer " No". Did you see the antelope? Answer "we did see anything". What's the point? To see how fast you can get back to camp and sit on your ass? They are definitely going to ruin it for the rest of us!

Yes, that is the sad truth. Don't know why most of the ATV and UTV folks think they have to drive them 90 mph every where they go. I still have an ATV and UTV. Went to a UTV event about 4 years ago in Wells Nevada. A lot of people were wanting to haul ass, so a few of us just dropped back to the end of the line and let them go. We took our time and enjoy the country. When we got back to camp, one of the "speeders" were camped next to us. They were sitting in their chairs covered in dust and looked beat. I asked them, "Did you see the wild horses"? Answer " No". Did you see the antelope? Answer "we did see anything". What's the point? To see how fast you can get back to camp and sit on your ass? They are definitely going to ruin it for the rest of us!
I think a lot of them drive like that because they can and those fast-ass UTVs are the only vehicles they've ever taken out. So they go to the RZR store, get the credit card, swipe it for a new 1000 turbo along with all the Fox Racing gear, and off they go. Those things can handle trails at 50mph while our lil Jeeps are going 15mph so they think that's the point.

I think a lot of them drive like that because they can and those fast-ass UTVs are the only vehicles they've ever taken out. So they go to the RZR store, get the credit card, swipe it for a new 1000 turbo along with all the Fox Racing gear, and off they go. Those things can handle trails at 50mph while our lil Jeeps are going 15mph so they think that's the point.
I thought many were rentals

It's unfortunate, but I agree...
They are their own worst enemy
We've had too many negative experiences with the bike / quad / UTV crowd. We find ourselves drawn to the parks that don't allow them on their trails (Rocks & Valleys, MI and Rausch Creek, PA).

I plan to make it out to Moab someday. I guess we'll have to wait and see where this local movement goes.

Wow, are the UTV guys really this bad? I’ve never been around them before. We have a bunch in our neighborhood though and they are annoying as shit on the streets here.

Reactions: Rick Flair
The UTV's in Moab never annoyed me. UTV's are a different type of off-roading (go fast, have fun) compared to TJ's (slowly crawl). The UTV's can get slightly annoying when they try to blast around Jeep trails, but that doesn't seem to be too fun for the go fast crowd so they usually end up in the Dunes or elsewhere.

I like UTV's. Always been a lot of fun to me at least.

Wow, are the UTV guys really this bad? I’ve never been around them before. We have a bunch in our neighborhood though and they are annoying as shit on the streets here.

They can be really irritating on Colorado. They go wherever they want to as fast as they can. The driver's often don't understand trail etiquette. The drivers often don't understand what they are driving. I see more rolled utvs than I do Jeeps or trucks. I watched a utv driver chase down a small group of mountain goats. Seeing the goats was one of the reasons I was there.

The UTV's in Moab never annoyed me. UTV's are a different type of off-roading (go fast, have fun) compared to TJ's (slowly crawl). The UTV's can get slightly annoying when they try to blast around Jeep trails, but that doesn't seem to be too fun for the go fast crowd so they usually end up in the Dunes or elsewhere.

I like UTV's. Always been a lot of fun to me at least.
The UTVs that I have met on the trails in Moab have always been good. They wait for you to get over your obstacle, then you pull over and let them go by. :)

Reactions: TJ Starting
Take however annoyed you are and then imagine them driving across your front yard. That's about what Moab and other places are typically dealing with.

Take however annoyed you are and then imagine them driving across your front yard. That's about what Moab and other places are typically dealing with.

This.

Around here they know they can more easily outrun the Police, and in many cases the cops simply won't engage them because they know chasing them down will just endanger other drivers with little chance of actually catching them. The UTV/ATV guys know that, so they act accordingly.

Reactions: Rick Flair
We ran into one on a trail ride who had a turbo with a blow off valve. He was doing everything he could to make noise🙄 9 out of 10 i see are also hauling a cooler full of beer and drifting 50 mph around corners