Modifying the factory bumpers

myjeep3

TJ Enthusiast
Hello there,

I am trying to modify the oem from and rear bumpers on my 97 TJ and need some suggestions for the rear.
I already cut the front. The rear is not cut yet. Need ideas.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
I don't think (?) there is much else you can do other than get some end caps for the rear, maybe make some fro the front and you're done.

Reactions: Rubisohoe
The front turned out nice. I think the back looks best with the caps on, that or just replace it with the an aftermarket one

I am thinking of going this route for the rear. Will try to find something small that is close to the oem.
I'm just not a big fan of those big aftermarket bumpers I see on these Tjs

I'm at the same point with mine. I modified the front into a stubby, but the rear I wanted to do differently, and I have contemplated on for several years.

This post may not be of much help, but I've had an idea in my head of welding up what would essentially be new end caps, but weld them to the existing bumper. After being pretty much pinned on that idea for the plan, I accidentally came across steel end caps online that were just as I had been thinking on building. They keep the ends somewhat rounded just as they are with the factory jugs, but they are flattened on the front side.

The potentially useless part of this, is that I haven't been able to find that online ad again. It was fairly recent, so I'd imagine they are still there. I'll have to try looking again to try locating them.

I think on my kid's I went down 2" and cut at a 45 like your front. I went to get a pic just now but there is a hornet nest near where our bumper pile is. I'll kill them tonight and take pic tomorrow if you still need one. (It's a little bent from where I ripped it off trying to pull him out of a mud hole, but you'll get the idea).

I think on my kid's I went down 2" and cut at a 45 like your front. I went to get a pic just now but there is a hornet nest near where our bumper pile is. I'll kill them tonight and take pic tomorrow if you still need one. (It's a little bent from where I ripped it off trying to pull him out of a mud hole, but you'll get the idea).

sure, would love to see a pic

Nice. I like it. How did you get to mount the 8 inner bolts?? did you have to remove the gas tank?
Never really thought about it, guess because mines an LJ. Plenty of room.

Also, I didn't know there was one like it available. I originally made one almost 20 years ago for my previous Jeep.

Sorry, just got back to this. We were gonna weld side plates up from the scrap from the fronts, but then the mud "puddle" indecent occurred and he just bought new.

View attachment 165876

View attachment 165877

thats exactly how i cut mine...hahah. I am also thinking about cutting the top and cut out so that it can slip on top of the frame bumper. I see they sale them but its actually very easy to make

I wheeled my first LJ with no rear bumper at all for almost 4 years. I installed a couple of early 2000’s GM pickup tow hooks to the frame for recovery. While running without the bumper I hit the tub corner exactly once while crossing Golden Crack in Moab and put a very tiny dent in the tub.
Current LJ has a Bestop rear bumper and I must have hit it a hundred times during the last trip to Moab. As soon as I pick up a couple of the GM hooks that bumper will disappear as well.

I wheeled my first LJ with no rear bumper at all for almost 4 years. I installed a couple of early 2000’s GM pickup tow hooks to the frame for recovery. While running without the bumper I hit the tub corner exactly once while crossing Golden Crack in Moab and put a very tiny dent in the tub.
Current LJ has a Bestop rear bumper and I must have hit it a hundred times during the last trip to Moab. As soon as I pick up a couple of the GM hooks that bumper will disappear as well.

There is a compromise here that may or may not present itself depending on where the Jeep is used.

I got rid of my old enormous rear bumper because I was getting tired is it getting in the way. I exchanged it for a low profile bumper plate. Problem solved and I'm very happy with the change. Since then, I have tagged the rear body corners on trees and rocks. That and a couple other reasons are why full corner armor is getting higher on my list.

Big bumpers that get used as bumpers offer protection. Get rid of them and that protection need to be shifted elsewhere.

Given how often I still land on the bumper plate, the bare crossmember can't be safely left exposed.

Last edited:
There is a compromise here that may or may not present itself depending on where the Jeep is used.

I got rid of my old enormous rear bumper because I was getting tired is it getting in the way. I exchanged it for a low profile bumper plate. Problem solved and I'm very happy with the change. Since then, I have tagged the rear body corners on trees and rocks. That and a couple other reasons are why full corner armor is getting higher on my list.

Big bumpers that get used as bumpers offer protection. Get rid of them and that protection need to be shifted elsewhere.

Given how often I still land on the bumper plate, the bare crossmember can't be safely left exposed.
I see what you’re saying. I may pick up a Genright style or make one just to reinforce the crossmember. Not too concerned about the tub, it would be easy enough to trim a few inches off the bottom of the corners to minimize the risk of damaging them.