Monroe OE Spectrum vs Rancho 5000x?

Rustynj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Monroe / Rancho guys told me to go with the Monroes for a nicer ride if I'm 95% on pavement, which I am. Do you guys have any input? I see a lot of love for the ranchos on here.

This is a daily driver for me.

I love my Rancho’s, but a key is getting the right length so you get as close to 50:50 travel bias as possible.

I’m sticking with stock height. Likely why the guy suggested the OE spectrums.
Stock height the Rancho shocks do not fit without modifications (extended bumps), they are too long. I'd pass on those, you need something like a 12.5" compressed front shock length or you're going to loose some of what little travel stock has.

Stock height the Rancho shocks do not fit without modifications (extended bumps), they are too long. I'd pass on those, you need something like a 12.5" compressed front shock length or you're going to loose some of what little travel stock has.

Hey @pagrey, which Rancho shocks do you have in mind? I put a set on mine, at stock height, and they fit fine.

I recently replaced my Monroes with Ranchos, and did not feel a significant difference in street driving. The exception was when hitting washboard roads. Then, the Ranchos felt better.

I can check my Monroe part numbers if you'd like to be sure it's a fair comparison.

Edit: PS Mine is an SE, so extra light. I think most who love the Ranchos have heavier rigs.

Last edited:
Hey @pagrey, which Rancho shocks do you have in mind? I put a set on mine, at stock height, and they fit fine.
Front Rancho RS5000X shocks are about 13.5" long so without additional bump stops they will bottom out before the suspension does. They fit but they might be damaged if you ever bottom out. Every Jeep is a little different so yours might be fine. The only way to find out is to check yours to be sure they fit. Cycling your suspension is a good project, you always learn something.

Reactions: SSTJ
Front Rancho RS5000X shocks are about 13.5" long so without additional bump stops they will bottom out before the suspension does. They fit but they might be damaged if you ever bottom out. Every Jeep is a little different so yours might be fine. The only way to find out is to check yours to be sure they fit. Cycling your suspension is a good project, you always learn something.

Aha, I get it. And yes, that's consistent with what @TJim reported elsewhere, that the "stock length" Ranchos are actually better with/for a slight lift

And yes, I should cycle my suspension some day.