Monroe steering not playing nicely with Moog drag link

Hoboscratch

Supporting Member
I ordered some new components to replace my steering setup since I had to do tie rod ends anyway and everything was super rusty. I followed the parts list on the ZJ tie rod conversion thread in the How To section.

Drag link part DS1430
Monroe damper SC2928

I’ve got everything installed but am not able to get the tapered bolt for the stabilizer installed all the way into the drag link. I’ve got it torqued down to 55ft lbs but it’s hasn’t popped in yet. What am I missing?

30D478E8-5D26-4538-B1C1-9A150059C725.jpeg

Yeah it’s tight enough now that I can’t even back it out. Been banging on the nut threaded on the bolt a bit and on the side of the drag link...stuck. I was going to double check that the hole was tapered but going to have to work at this a bit to check that I guess

Yeah it’s tight enough now that I can’t even back it out. Been banging on the nut threaded on the bolt a bit and on the side of the drag link...stuck. I was going to double check that the hole was tapered but going to have to work at this a bit to check that I guess
You can drive a jeep without the stabilizer. If it seems tight I wouldn't worry about it too too much.

Reactions: Hoboscratch
Ok I’ll leave it as is for now and address it later. Trying to get this buttoned up. Thanks for the quick reply!

That is the same as mine that I just replaced. The one I removed was not seated all the way either. The hole is tapered and I got mine in just like yours is. I have been driving it like that for 3 days. No issues

Reactions: Hoboscratch
Oh BTW, watch your driver side adjuster sleeve clamps. I had someone turn left and right and my sleeve clamps were rubbing the sway bar mounts. Had to turn the clamps.