Moog Control Arm Bushings: Something to Consider

RaymondT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I see there are a number of threads on control arm bushings. One thing to keep in mind is that the stock rear upper arms take the most beating. You're likely to find movement in them while the lowers and the 130ft lbs clamping them seem to last forever (a little surface weathering doesn't compromise the bushing).

So, if you are considering replacing the uppers with Moog, go with the "CK" versions which use Clevite bushings. The cheaper "RK" versions use a regular bushing as do all the bushing kits that you press in to the arms. You can also get a "CK" front upper arm but it only has the Clevite bushing in the rearward end.

IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG
Moog Rear Upper Control Arms.PNG

Great bit of advice! In all honesty, I didn't know there were two different bushings.

The stock ones are clevite bushings, right? It's been so long I can't remember.

I see there are a number of threads on control arm bushings. One thing to keep in mind is that the stock rear upper arms take the most beating. You're likely to find movement in them while the lowers and the 130ft lbs clamping them seem to last forever (a little surface weathering doesn't compromise the bushing).

So, if you are considering replacing the uppers with Moog, go with the "CK" versions which use Clevite bushings. The cheaper "RK" versions use a regular bushing as do all the bushing kits that you press in to the arms. You can also get a "CK" front upper arm but it only has the Clevite bushing in the rearward end.

View attachment 67749View attachment 67750View attachment 67751
The CK version is what I installed in mine. I remember that distinctly. However, I didn't even realize there was a choice!

Reactions: KCsTJ
Good bushings are absolutely huge on chassis stability, tracking and handling....the catch is they can degrade so slowly an owner doesn’t realize the change. They are key to getting a like new ride and drive quality .. and will undermine everything else that gets replaced if neglected. Nothing compensates for worn control arm bushings , and worn bushings cause rear steer and vague handling.

Reactions: fuse and Squatch
The CK version is what I installed in mine. I remember that distinctly. However, I didn't even realize there was a choice!
I used the CK versions too. There's not that much difference in price, so no reason not to get the better ones.

Reactions: Squatch