Mopar thermostat alignment for weep hole

Actormike

Since I have ordered the proper thermostat, where is the weep hole supposed to align? I noticed this big notch to the right and thought maybe there.
20230511_122401.jpg

Just noticed the new one doesn't even have a bleed hole! I got it from a dealership too! Wonder why? I don't want to put in another Thermostat that fails after 5 months!

Lacking a bleed hole won't make it fail, it just makes it easier to get the air out when you're filling it back up.

I thought in the other thread you said it was holding steady idling at 192...why are you changing the thermostat?

Because in most common conditions that usually means the wrong temperature thermostat was installed.
It sounds like you have the correct thermostat now, but it doesn't have a bleed hole. You can still proceed with the thermostat installation but may need to burp the system a little more thoroughly to ensure no air pockets are present. If you feel more comfortable having a bleed hole, you can drill a small hole in the thermostat in the location indicated in the linked thread. Just be careful not to drill too deep, as you don't want to damage the thermostat or restrict the flow of coolant.

It sounds like you have the correct thermostat now, but it doesn't have a bleed hole. You can still proceed with the thermostat installation but may need to burp the system a little more thoroughly to ensure no air pockets are present. If you feel more comfortable having a bleed hole, you can drill a small hole in the thermostat in the location indicated in the linked thread. Just be careful not to drill too deep, as you don't want to damage the thermostat or restrict the flow of coolant.

ChatGPT? 😄

That's surprising to me. Mine has idled at or very close to 210 in my local temperate conditions since my first new TJ in 1996. I guess that would be normal in cool or cold conditions though.

My 2.5L with a 195 degree stat also idles at 192.. Only time it gets close to 200 degrees is if I’m running the A/C… I’ve never seen it over 205 degrees..

That's surprising to me. Mine has idled at or very close to 210 in my local temperate conditions since my first new TJ in 1996. I guess that would be normal in cool or cold conditions though.

i should specify...from a cooled start, and without running the AC, which may or may not have been an accurate assumption of what the OP was doing. There seems to be some hysteresis in the system where it won't reach the same temperature coming from above than when it approaches from below.

I was doing some testing last year and even in ambients approaching 110°F it would climb up to about 195 (thermostat opens), drop back into the 180s (from the sudden slug of ambient temp coolant that had been sitting in the radiator) and then settle down to the low 190s and sit there long enough convince me it had settled.

It was in a fan clutch thread but the results didn't change when I replaced my original clutch with the Hayden heavy duty. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/should-you-get-a-heavy-duty-fan-clutch.53938/page-6#post-1160259

If I ran the AC it would climb, and if I went for a drive with AC on and got up into the 210s and then turned the AC off and idled, it would not fall back down to 192 within any time that I was willing to wait for it.

They are using scan tools to get the temp. About as useful as installing temp senders in the combustion chambers.

They are using scan tools to get the temp. About as useful as installing temp senders in the combustion chambers.

I'm confused because I used OBD-II to get my temperatures and as you can see above it hits the 210-degree mark as expected. For me the scan tool has always worked as expected.