MORryde vs Exogate

Be aware! Got my MORryde in this weekend, and this isn't their issue, but when I went to install it the freak'n shitty ass Torx heads started stripping out on me!
Great, now I have to pay someone to install this relatively easy upgrade. It's always something?

Be aware! Got my MORryde in this weekend, and this isn't their issue, but when I went to install it the freak'n shitty ass Torx heads started stripping out on me!
Great, now I have to pay someone to install this relatively easy upgrade. It's always something?

Did you use heat?

Did you use heat?
No, too late, striped, they actually looked pretty effed up before I started on them too. Some came right out. I thought it was only the cowling bolts that had lock-tight?
Maybe I'll try the flat head screwdrive hamered in the bolt hole and heat to see if that'll work.
Got a quote to install and they want $300-350 to just install it, damn!

I’ve had mine for about a year and starting to notice some cracking on the tailgate between the latch and bracket.

I suspect it’s possible I hit the spare at some point. Don’t remember it but certainly possible.

Im still happy with the product but something to watch.

DD2DAA34-B7B9-45CD-BB43-DCF7427C524D.jpeg

I’ve had mine for about a year and starting to notice some cracking on the tailgate between the latch and bracket.

I suspect it’s possible I hit the spare at some point. Don’t remember it but certainly possible.

View attachment 140801
Did you install the complete kit or just the HD hinges ?

No, too late, striped, they actually looked pretty effed up before I started on them too. Some came right out. I thought it was only the cowling bolts that had lock-tight?
Maybe I'll try the flat head screwdrive hamered in the bolt hole and heat to see if that'll work.
Got a quote to install and they want $300-350 to just install it, damn!

When I did mine, I was able to get 3 bolts out with heat and 3 broken Snap-On driver bits. The others I ended up drilling.

I used the hardware that came with the kit to figure out the exact bolt size, and got a drill bit that was the size of the very outside tips of the threads. Then I drilled into the head until it got to the bolt shank, the head popped off, and then the hinge could be removed, and the remaining piece of the bolt came out pretty easily with vise grips. The bolts are soft, they drill easy, the torx indention in the head makes a great start for the drill bit, and at least in my case, it was not the threads that were seized, but the aluminum hinge and it's fondness for the steel fastener that was holding it in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tray Burge

My door cracked in the same spot with 31on it with the stock hinge/mount setup.
I think it's from hitting something, not the size of the spare.

Were you (or anyone else) able to figure out a mod for the Garvin rack mount to work with the reinforcement hinges, without weakening that Garvin mount point, too much? Any tips, insight or feedback?
Yes, I cut down the passenger side top rear bracket. Then I used a large 3/16 backer plate on the inside.
Here are some super dirty pics I took when I got home tonight. Also, upgraded one size in bolt diameter to increase clamping force.

1E5C3607-7D60-4DAF-9FA0-CDDD58FABD93.jpeg

66B17235-0F06-465B-A666-7872175F3AC2.jpeg

When I did mine, I was able to get 3 bolts out with heat and 3 broken Snap-On driver bits. The others I ended up drilling.

I used the hardware that came with the kit to figure out the exact bolt size, and got a drill bit that was the size of the very outside tips of the threads. Then I drilled into the head until it got to the bolt shank, the head popped off, and then the hinge could be removed, and the remaining piece of the bolt came out pretty easily with vise grips. The bolts are soft, they drill easy, the torx indention in the head makes a great start for the drill bit, and at least in my case, it was not the threads that were seized, but the aluminum hinge and it's fondness for the steel fastener that was holding it in place.
Great tips, I'll keep that in mind when I do mine. I just got it back from the body shop last week having the grill painted and replaced so the first sunny weekend now I'm on it. We're about to start building our Ark here in GA we're having too much rain?

I am about to mount my spare tire and have been looking at the MORyde hinges. I have 32" tires (265/75r16) and best guess is that my spare weighs between 70 to 75 lbs. Questions is...

Do I need a stronger set of hinges or can I run on the stock hinges and carrier?

If Hinges are needed, can I just use the hinges vs the full MORyde setup for my spare?

Can I buy the internal triangular reinforcement bracket with just the hinges?

I am about to mount my spare tire and have been looking at the MORyde hinges. I have 32" tires (265/75r16) and best guess is that my spare weighs between 70 to 75 lbs. Questions is...

Do I need a stronger set of hinges or can I run on the stock hinges and carrier?

If Hinges are needed, can I just use the hinges vs the full MORyde setup for my spare?

Can I buy the internal triangular reinforcement bracket with just the hinges?

If your driving is mostly on the road and dirt roads, you might get away with stock hinges and carrier, provided you make the appropriate adjustments to the 5 rubber bumpers that sit between the tire and the gate, and especially the one below the gate on the tub. Rocky stuff that bumps around a lot...that may still not be enough long term.

They sell the hinges separately, but the gate can crack too, and the hinges don't help the gate.

I'm not aware that the reinforcement bracket is available without the full kit.

If your driving is mostly on the road and dirt roads, you might get away with stock hinges and carrier, provided you make the appropriate adjustments to the 5 rubber bumpers that sit between the tire and the gate, and especially the one below the gate on the tub. Rocky stuff that bumps around a lot...that may still not be enough long term.

They sell the hinges separately, but the gate can crack too, and the hinges don't help the gate.

I'm not aware that the reinforcement bracket is available without the full kit.

Thanks @freedom_in_4low. Living in the Houston area, we don't have much in the way of large rocks. My driving is mostly on road with about 10% on the beach and 10% on dirt/mud ranch roads.

I like the clean look of the hinges and thought it would be a good idea to be preemptive about the hinges considering the slightly heavier wheels and tires.

The hinge support bracket would be a "nice to have". I may hit up MORyde to see if they would sell that separately as well.

I just took apart the stock carriers and bumpers to do a once in 21 year inspection, clay bar and waxing of the tailgate. Now would be the right time to add the hingesIMG_20200217_143538.jpg

...The hinge support bracket would be a "nice to have". I may hit up MORyde to see if they would sell that separately as well...
If the weight on the tailgate is heavy enough so that the roll-bar tie-in bracket would help, that weight will likely damage an unreinforced tailgate over time. The bracket is really only useful in combination with the full tailgate reinforcement, which is why it's not offered separately.

If the weight on the tailgate is heavy enough so that the roll-bar tie-in bracket would help, that weight will likely damage an unreinforced tailgate over time. The bracket is really only useful in combination with the full tailgate reinforcement, which is why it's not offered separately

I was thinking that if something was to get damaged, I would prefer it was the tailgate and not the tub.
(Of course I would much more prefer that nothing gets damaged at all)

Spare is only a 32" that weighs in at around 75lbs. Not sure what the stock 205/75r15 on factory Canyon weighed but guessing I am only about 25lbs heavier now.