MORryde vs Exogate

This part here

62BE136C-1D82-45A2-8F78-44B73F927061.jpeg

Reactions: skrelnik and Chris
There’s got to be a reason for the cost difference. It’s ~20% not including shipping and ~30% with shipping. As cost conscious as the TJ market is, there’s no way there can be that big of a spread for a product that is the exact same.

I got mine from extreme terrain with the above discounts. When I first received it it was missing a critical bit (the huge metal plate that goes by the tailgate) so took a long time to get all the parts I needed. MORryde specifically sent out the replacement.

From what I’ve read (which could be completely wrong) gr8tops bought the plans and had exclusitivity at first and branded it as exogate. Once that was over the person who originally designed it under MORryde sold it to other outlets. Note in this picture ignore how the additional spacers are installed, ones upside down :p. I need to get the rotopax carrier sometime.

View attachment 47743

Looks good painted.

There’s got to be a reason for the cost difference. It’s ~20% not including shipping and ~30% with shipping. As cost conscious as the TJ market is, there’s no way there can be that big of a spread for a product that is the exact same.

Looks like Gr8Tops is just rebranding it as an "Exogate" and charging a premium for that. I'll call MORryde and ask soon, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that's what they're doing.

Looks like Gr8Tops is just rebranding it as an "Exogate" and charging a premium for that. I'll call MORryde and ask soon, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that's what they're doing.

While I do think Exogate is a superior name, it’s definitely not worth 30%! You may have better success calling the high price guy asking why he is higher than the low price guy asking why he is lower!

While I do think Exogate is a superior name, it’s definitely not worth 30%! You may have better success calling the high price guy asking why he is higher than the low price guy asking why he is lower!

I'll have to. I can get it on Extreme Terrain for $329, minus 6% off, and then free shipping to top it all off!

I think I'd just call MORryde themselves and asking them why one of their resellers is charging so much more than everyone else and calling it something different. They are after all the people who built / invented it.

Yeah I would get the whole kit, it hooks into the rollbar so would distributes the weight better. @Alex01 told me how he cracked his tub on his YJ with an oversized spare.

Yes live and learn. I cracked the tub above the hinge on my old YJ. I bought the jeep very used for $1,800 when I was 18 so it didn't bother me much.
yj.jpg

(loading up the jeep for a fun day at lake Tahoe on the 4th of July)

Reactions: tomtaylz and Chris
Looks good painted.

Thanks, I wish the shop I took it to would have done a bit better job painting it (up close some of the paint is a bit thin) but I do like it body matched. I just didn’t like the big black plate by the taillights.

Last edited:
@Chris from what I have seen you should know that you are going to have to trim the large hinge backing plate to work with your Savvy tail lights.

@Chris from what I have seen you should know that you are going to have to trim the large hinge backing plate to work with your Savvy tail lights.

Ahh, thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of that. Wonder how much material I’ll have to remove.

I'll have to. I can get it on Extreme Terrain for $329, minus 6% off, and then free shipping to top it all off!

I think I'd just call MORryde themselves and asking them why one of their resellers is charging so much more than everyone else and calling it something different. They are after all the people who built / invented it.

The other authorized reseller, retrofitoffroad, has it listed at 389. My assumption is that Extreme Terrain sells more products than gr8tops and retrofitoffroad so ET can get steeper discounts for moving more products.

MORryde has a cool website lots of goodies...maybe Jeff Scherb has the answer since he licenses his builds to these guys. I'm surprised not to see him on this forum.

Reactions: Hotrodbud and Chris
Thanks, I wish the shop would have done a bit better job painting it (up close some of the paint is a bit thin) but I do like it body matched. I just didn’t like the big black plate by the taillights.

I completely agree with you about the big black plate, not about the paint job, paint job looks good from pics. Since I have a black and red theme going if fit well with my color scheme.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Does anyone know if retailers of either version of the tailgate reinforcement kit, EG or MR, will sell the kit minus the hinges, if you've already bought the hinges separately first?