MORryde vs Exogate

I am running the Genright Alum. corner armor and I ended up getting a piece of Alum.plate the same thickness as the armor and used the Tailgate Reinforcement as a template. Cut it out and mounted it behind the Tailgate Reinforcement part and worked out great.
This is what I was thinking.

My corner armor is made by Warrior Products, 1/8". I think it will help to have it there, but, not a replacement for the bracket. I will probably find some aluminum strips 1/8" thick and same width as bracket and drill the appropriate holes to pinch them in between the tailgate bracket and the tailgate.

Reactions: Alex01
Just read this entire thread, pretty much set on getting one of these. Two issues I expect to have with the nstall:

• I have round LED taillights, will need to either make a spacer for the passenger side or trim out the hinge supporting plate. Not sure how much trimming it would be, if I went this route, I don't expect that it would adversely affect the strength, correct?
  • I have corner armor, this will obviously push the bracket out from the tub a small amount. Would you recommend cutting the armor to bring it to the tub, or put a spacer between the Reinforcement plate and the tailgate?
Question for the designer, jscherb. I appreciate how you reinforced the upper hinge, curious why you didn't attempt to reinforce the lower hinge as well?

This has been a very informative thread.

John
Both hinges are reinforced to deal with the forces they experience. The upper hinge experiences a force that pulls it away from the tub, so the reinforcement of that hinge incorporates a bracket that ties the hinge to the roll bar.

The lower hinge experiences a force that pushes in on the tub, so the reinforcement there is a plate that goes between the bottom hinge and the tub. In the original Gr8Tops version of the Exogate the plate only goes under the lower hinge and is made from 16-gauge steel; in the later MORryde/Gr8Tops version of the Exogate the plate is made from 3/16" steel. The new version goes under both hinges, it goes under the top hinge not specifically as reinforcement but to act as a spacer to line it up with the plate that goes on the tailgate, it's main reinforcement purpose is for the lower hinge.

Reactions: il buono
I'm new to the forum and excited to be here! Just purchased a MORryde kit and love the quality of the product. My OEM tire bracket is in bad share so I ordered a new Rugged Ridge HD tire carrier (to bolt onto MORryde), although the new carrier bracket conflicts with the MORryde top lip of the bracket. Has anyone notched out top lip of the MORryde tailgate bracket? Or where can i can a new OEM style tire bracket that doesn't cost a fortune?

Thanks!

I'm new to the forum and excited to be here! Just purchased a MORryde kit and love the quality of the product. My OEM tire bracket is in bad share so I ordered a new Rugged Ridge HD tire carrier (to bolt onto MORryde), although the new carrier bracket conflicts with the MORryde top lip of the bracket. Has anyone notched out top lip of the MORryde tailgate bracket? Or where can i can a new OEM style tire bracket that doesn't cost a fortune?

Thanks!
Removing any portion of that lip will reduce the rigidity of the reinforcement and is not recommended. A better alternative would be to mount the carrier on the offset brackets (parts #3 in the instructions) which are provided in the kit or to make spacers to move the Rugged Ridge carrier away from the tailgate far enough so that it clears the lip.

Removing any portion of that lip will reduce the rigidity of the reinforcement and is not recommended. A better alternative would be to mount the carrier on the offset brackets (parts #3 in the instructions) which are provided in the kit or to make spacers to move the Rugged Ridge carrier away from the tailgate far enough so that it clears the lip.
Thanks Jeff!

I am borrowing a factory carrier to determine where I want the tire sitting. Once I have that mocked up, I will have one of my fabricator buddies make me a piece that will mount to the MORryde reinforcement bracket and get the tire positioned as close to the tailgate as feasible. I plan to make this bracket reversible so I can have the tire lower on the street and higher on the trail.

What are your thoughts removing some of the metal on the tub bracket to fit my round taillights?

Thanks,
John

Here are the lights I am running, not my Jeep, just the same lights.

1595794560271.png

@jscherb

What is the MAX weight capacity of your system? Lets not worry about tire size but is there a weight limit?

150lbs? 160lbs? Since I know some tire & wheel combos can weigh more than others.

Thanks

@jscherb

What is the MAX weight capacity of your system? Lets not worry about tire size but is there a weight limit?

150lbs? 160lbs? Since I know some tire & wheel combos can weigh more than others.

Thanks
I believe both MORryde and Gr8Tops recommend it for up to 35" tires.

For daily driving I carry about 85 lbs. on mine (spare plus Safari Cab barn door upper), and on the trail I often carry a HiLift and/or a 5-gallon jerry can...

CaliforniaPass3_zpse146ce41.jpg

And often on the road I carry two bicycles on a prototype Exogate Cargo System bike rack...

1595849135504.png

1595849157987.png

Reactions: skrelnik
the new carrier bracket conflicts with the MORryde top lip of the bracket.
I just installed the MOR/ryde kit with the RR HD bracket. You can use the supplied relocation brackets as I did and it will work. The only issue I have is that with the 3.75" BS my wheel has, the tire sticks out way too far for even the spacers to help with the bumpers. I'm not entirely sure what I am going to do about it yet.
A2KcvFgYShqhzbMFjJrH6w.jpg

I just installed the MOR/ryde kit with the RR HD bracket. You can use the supplied relocation brackets as I did and it will work. The only issue I have is that with the 3.75" BS my wheel has, the tire sticks out way too far for even the spacers to help with the bumpers. I'm not entirely sure what I am going to do about it yet.
View attachment 179763
Yeah this is a known problem with rugged ridge carriers. Your best bet is to find a used OEM take off.

Yeah this is a known problem with rugged ridge carriers. Your best bet is to find a used OEM take off.

Even with OEM, I ended up doing some cutting and re-welding to have my 35 sit where I wanted it to be.

View attachment 179763
Hi Axeman! What size spare tire are you running?

This seams like a silly question...The bracket that runs from the roll bar to upper hinge bolts, I assume we are supposed to put a nut on that thing to secure it, I did. The bolts supplied did not come through long enough so I used the shoulder bolts from the reinforcement bracket for the upper hinge. I then stole the nylock nuts from the reinforcement bracket to secure it.

Surprised that it is all stainless steel hardware, thinking about replacing it with grade 8.

Ran some 1/8" x 2" aluminum strips to off set for my armor.

Pretty much everything installed except the factory carrier, went pretty simple except the one bolt that decided to snap. Drilled it out retapped, good to go.

This seams like a silly question...The bracket that runs from the roll bar to upper hinge bolts, I assume we are supposed to put a nut on that thing to secure it, I did. The bolts supplied did not come through long enough so I used the shoulder bolts from the reinforcement bracket for the upper hinge. I then stole the nylock nuts from the reinforcement bracket to secure it.

Surprised that it is all stainless steel hardware, thinking about replacing it with grade 8.

Ran some 1/8" x 2" aluminum strips to off set for my armor.

Pretty much everything installed except the factory carrier, went pretty simple except the one bolt that decided to snap. Drilled it out retapped, good to go.
Yea I ran into the same issue with the bolts not being long enough for the bracket. I just got 2 longer bolts (kept with the stainless, it's plenty strong for its application and no rust issues). I also had to order longer bolts for my tire bumpers and make extensions. The ones that came were the wrong thread anyway, my tailgate is a metric thread M6x1.0 and the bolts that came were 1/4 x 20.

I thought the bumper bolts were wrong as well, then I checked and noticed there were 8, 5 for the older and 3 for the newer. The set of 3 worked on my 05.