Motor mounts and where to jack the engine?

joshwellborn

I recently purchased a 99, 2.5L 4Cyl. I’ve been reading the various motor Mount posts in the forums and watching YouTube videos. I’m unclear about where to lift/hold the engine up…?
one video looked like it was placed in the front, just below the timing chain housing. Underneath, it looks like I’ve got a dent in the oil pan closer to the rear in front of the transmission.
9B13A12C-64B7-4C3C-AD37-0421A76A8DF5.jpeg

I supported my 4.0 with a 2x4 placed between my hydraulic floor jack and the flange around the oil pan where the pan is bolted to the block. Supporting the engine on the side of each new motor mount.

Like Jerry said, the oil pan flange is a safe place. When I bought a stroker, that’s how it was supported when it arrived in the shipping crate. Later, I made this to do my MML:
1672703078006.jpeg

I decided to use an engine support bar that I borrowed from a buddy.
I might need to start a new thread, but now I’m having trouble getting the new mount to fit in the bracket.
Is there a tool that I need to be using to squeeze the rubber part back in? Seems like it will be difficult to line up the through bolt even if I do get them into position

image.jpg

Did you get it?

2x4 under the flat part of the oil pan works for me. I would not use the support bar if it is resting on the little bars that go from the radiator to the firewall.

A pry bar on top of the motor mount to pry up the the engine bracket works well if you can fit it in there. (for aligning the bolt holes)

Did you get it?

2x4 under the flat part of the oil pan works for me. I would not use the support bar if it is resting on the little bars that go from the radiator to the firewall.

A pry bar on top of the motor mount to pry up the the engine bracket works well if you can fit it in there. (for aligning the bolt holes)

Still working on getting the through bolt in on the passenger side.
I have 2x4’s (with rags protecting the paint) under the feet of the support bar, so it’s not resting on the cross bars.
Any pointers on getting the through bolts back in would be appreciated.
I’ve got the through bolt in the front, but the back won’t line up. Should I remove the nut and bolt from the frame?

Maybe try loosening (but not removing) the mount to frame bolts on both sides. Then see if you can wiggle everything in and then snug it all back down.

edit: of course this assumes the motor remains safely supported.

Reactions: joshwellborn
Still working on getting the through bolt in on the passenger side.
I have 2x4’s (with rags protecting the paint) under the feet of the support bar, so it’s not resting on the cross bars.
Any pointers on getting the through bolts back in would be appreciated.
I’ve got the through bolt in the front, but the back won’t line up. Should I remove the nut and bolt from the frame?

Could try loosening the frame bolts to give some movement without completely removing them

Got it done!
Thanks everyone
I ended up removing the engine support bar and maneuvering the jack and using a pry bar and two extra sets of hands (including Big Craig.)
But we got it done.
Here’s a look at the old and new side by side. Vibration seems to be down a bit. I’ll do the transmission mount next.

2BC228D2-246E-48DE-A9D5-C624555AC873.jpeg