Motorcycle Hand Signals

RMETeeJay

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've been driving on dirt roads since I could drive, but I'm fairly new to wheeling on technical trails. Last time out, I noticed that motorcyclists on the trail were using hand signals. I hadn't seen that before, so I looked it up. Are there other signals (besides the Jeep wave ;)) that I should be aware of? I am aware of the 4WD rules of the road.

Trail-Hand-Signals.jpg

Reactions: TJScott
I've been driving on dirt roads since I could drive, but I'm fairly new to wheeling on technical trails. Last time out, I noticed that motorcyclists on the trail were using hand signals. I hadn't seen that before, so I looked it up. Are there other signals (besides the Jeep wave ;)) that I should be aware of? I am aware of the 4WD rules of the road.

View attachment 253951

514D3DA6-1DE3-4B5E-8741-DC38E11CE5E0.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: RMETeeJay
For woods riders, the rise of side x sides has really heightened awareness for hand signals.

I spent this morning riding single track in Tennessee on my KTM 300, one way single track is all that lights my fire on a bike...but many recreational areas need the revenue of other enthusiasts.

Signaling, and watching for signals, whether you are in your jeep or any off road vehicle, can be important. For us guys in a jeep, we are all about making it more capable....for many of the bike guys, it is all about faster, and there are some unbelievably fast people out there.

I’ve known of several pretty scary incidents....the more universal it becomes and practiced the better.

I refrain from using the jeep waive on trails and instead use hand signals. I go on a whim so its always just me and I just show a closed fist to oncoming traffic. it is nice to know when the first side by side coming at me indicates how many more are hauling ass around a blind corner coming at me behind him though.

View attachment 253951

I almost thought I understood the purpose of this but honestly I have no idea what this is telling me. At first I just thought it was weird that the finger signals were in numerical order because for a total of 4 riders I would expect the three fingers to be first, followed by the two fingers, the one finger and lastly the fist. Then I noticed the picture with 6 total riders, is it a group of 6 or a group of 5 and another group of one. Whatever they are, none of them are signaling anything. Maybe because they ain't sure how many they really are and either way they are more than 4 so majority rules.

I also think that keeping both hands on the handle bars, especially when off road, is probably a better idea.

Yep. Basic trail signals and etiquette. We use the hand signals snowmobiling too and used them when we ran sled dogs. Easier to memorize than the 72 COLREGS. Trust me on that one.

Number of riders still coming is very helpful.

For example, if they're coming toward you on a narrow section of trail, and you can't see the whole group because you're sitting around a corner.

So if you don’t know which groups hand signals? Not a problem for me thus far as I am not aware of anyone flashing hand signals other than the hello or mid finger! I could be an asshole (probably), but you folks with specialized hand signals are assuming we all know what you are attempting (outside your own group).

Those hand signals letting oncoming trail users know how many in your party aren't specific to any one group. It’s not one thing for cycles, one for 4x4 etc. Universal, and they've been around a long time. Not everyone knows or uses them.