Motortrend's take on Bronco vs Jeep

srimes

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
These guys need to stick to pavement reviews lol

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...ion-jeep-wrangler-4xe-comparison-test-review/
A couple, um, "highlights."

"Ford claims greater ground clearance, a better breakover angle, and a slightly better approach angle thanks in part to those massive optional tires. None of that matters, though, if you don't have grip, and the Bronco doesn't. Blame Ford's decision to equip the Sasquatch Package with mud terrain tires instead of all-terrains. As a result, the Wrangler was able to climb up challenging desert obstacles with far greater ease than the Bronco."

"Just to be sure, though, we aired both trucks down to 30 psi all around for extra grip."

I thought you aired UP to 30 to go back onroad. 🤣

Editors wanted the Bronco to win, but even with that bias the Wrangler won hands down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt888
They claim that the Bronco has “high speed desert running capability” and that should somehow offset other deficiencies. They also refer to the Bronco’s “wider range of capabilities.” They give no supporting data for either of these claims. They just threw them out, and then expect us to accept them as fact.

Reactions: Tob
Then they talk about the Jeep being able to do something in 4hi and the Bronco had to use 4 lo. WTF is wrong with these people?

"Obstacles the Wrangler was able to conquer in 4 High with the front anti-roll bar disconnected and the axles unlocked tripped up the Bronco, which required 4 Low, locked front and rear differentials, and the front anti-roll bar disconnected. Even then, the Bronco often needed to take a run at the obstacles and use momentum."

Lots of odd comparisons in that article.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 10.22.26 AM.png
Here's what we might expect with some 'built' broncos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW3pfep...oIslDQRxDAl-vCBoKt2bqVvfrZsSGOuVMl1iUQdQ18JYg

What's the audience for the Bronco and why are we trying to make it out to be a rock crawler? These are $50K stock. To build the thing you're going to have $70K in the damn thing. I have the same internal argument every time I see the sticker on a new Jeep, WTF?. Don't know about you guys, but I'm not bringing my $70k rig out to bounce it off the side of a mountain.

What's the audience for the Bronco and why are we trying to make it out to be a rock crawler? These are $50K stock. To build the thing you're going to have $70K in the damn thing. I have the same internal argument every time I see the sticker on a new Jeep, WTF?. Don't know about you guys, but I'm not bringing my $70k rig out to bounce it off the side of a mountain.
70K is 70K, many people have that into wheelers jeeps to start for sure but start to look at what a buggy cost. Just because it's new doesn't mean many aren't willing to test them out on rocks.

Then they talk about the Jeep being able to do something in 4hi and the Bronco had to use 4 lo. WTF is wrong with these people?

"Obstacles the Wrangler was able to conquer in 4 High with the front anti-roll bar disconnected and the axles unlocked tripped up the Bronco, which required 4 Low, locked front and rear differentials, and the front anti-roll bar disconnected. Even then, the Bronco often needed to take a run at the obstacles and use momentum."

Lots of odd comparisons in that article.
They have the Dirt Everyday Guys on staff, they should've handed this comparo off to them. Dudes know how to rockcrawl at least.

70K is 70K, many people have that into wheelers jeeps to start for sure but start to look at what a buggy cost. Just because it's new doesn't mean many aren't willing to test them out on rocks.

When you say "many" you actually mean "very few". Remember, we're talking about new vehicles here. Amongst new Jeep owners, very few with that much invested are willing to even let the wheels stay dirty for a weekend. The vast majority of "built" JLs sit in heated garages with a fresh coat of polish on the color matched D-rings. I've used my cousin as an example before. She owned a Rocky Ridge built JL. 100% rhino lined, warn winch, 37" Mickey Thompson's, electric lockers, the damn thing had a snorkel kit on it. It never even saw a trail and she lost the controls for the winch. That is the vast majority of $70K Jeep owners.

Again what's the audience on a $50K "offroad" vehicle? It's not the offroad crowd! It's the ones that want heated/cooled leather seats, lane assist, blind spot monitors, voice activated navigation, auto headlights, and touch screen everything. They're not trying to sell you a vehicle that is a rock crawler. I don't think it's a stretch to say that NO mass production vehicle made today is designed to do what we consider offroading. They are designed for dirt roads. That's it. Even my $70K Raptor which is stroked as an offroad king, is actually just a dirt road queen. It's so damn wide you couldn't get it down anything remotely considered "offroad". But it has a heated steering wheel 😲👏.

Here is what the vast majority of $70K JLs do. 👇 I'm surprised it was allowed to get wet.

image0.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Chris and JMT
When you say "many" you actually mean "very few". Remember, we're talking about new vehicles here. Amongst new Jeep owners, very few with that much invested are willing to even let the wheels stay dirty for a weekend. The vast majority of "built" JLs sit in heated garages with a fresh coat of polish on the color matched D-rings. I've used my cousin as an example before. She owned a Rocky Ridge built JL. 100% rhino lined, warn winch, 37" Mickey Thompson's, electric lockers, the damn thing had a snorkel kit on it. It never even saw a trail and she lost the controls for the winch. That is the vast majority of $70K Jeep owners.

Again what's the audience on a $50K "offroad" vehicle? It's not the offroad crowd! It's the ones that want heated/cooled leather seats, lane assist, blind spot monitors, voice activated navigation, auto headlights, and touch screen everything. They're not trying to sell you a vehicle that is a rock crawler. I don't think it's a stretch to say that NO mass production vehicle made today is designed to do what we consider offroading. They are designed for dirt roads. That's it. Even my $70K Raptor which is stroked as an offroad king, is actually just a dirt road queen. It's so damn wide you couldn't get it down anything remotely considered "offroad". But it has a heated steering wheel 😲👏.

Here is what the vast majority of $70K JLs do. 👇 I'm surprised it was allowed to get wet.

View attachment 293437

You should go wheeling more if you don’t think plenty of people out there have 70k sunk into a Jeep…

Reactions: DWR