Mot's 2005 "X" Rocky Mountain Edition OEM+ Build

Jan 10, 2019
Jacksonville FL
Wow you spent a lot of time writing! I dont have time to read it all right now but wanted to say we have almost the same Jeep. 2005 RME Silver, 6 speed. Purchased last summer with under 52k on it. Tires, wheels, lift were already on it. They were pretty much exactly what I would have installed if I bought a stock Jeep so I think I got a pretty good deal. Same goes for the Bestop.

ZqtTJUzQSdqrZ2j+z+q%gw.jpg

Jan 10, 2019
Jacksonville FL
July 10, 2018
Added a couple complementary items to the stereo:
1. Proclip center console vent dash mount for 2003-2006 Wrangler (item #853223) and Pixel XL phone holder. I've not seen a better phone holder on the market, these are made specifically for the vehicle. I have used these in my last few cars.
2. Added rapid charge USB charger into cigarette lighter. Can't recall the brand, but I got it on Amazon for like $10-12

Now my 2005 Jeep has the same capabilities of pretty much any new car. One of my goals have been met!

July 11, 2018
New Wheels and Tires are in!

Wheels - American Racing AR172 Baja, 15x8, black alloy, 3.75” BS (-19 offset)
Tires - BF Goodrich KO2 32x11.5x15 A/T

I am very happy with the wheels. After the $50 BFG rebate and Tire Rack sale on the wheels ($88/each), I was able to get all 5 for less than $1500 including shipping, mounting/balancing, center caps, and black lug nuts. I just had to instal myself, easy peasy and worth the effort.

For only a bit more than steelies, these alloy wheels are well made and they balanced nicely at only ~19 lbs a piece. I liked the look of the Soft 8 steelies, so these were a great choice for me. With real steelies, you really have to watch out for the cost. Many seem cheap, but then you find out lugs and center caps are not included. And some of the cheaper 15x8's weighed 29 lbs. The lightest ones I saw were ~26 lbs. I liked the idea of less weight on my tire carrier, ball joints, suspension, and less weight for the brakes to handle etc. The 32" fit on the stock carrier without modification and is nice and secure.

View attachment 50820 View attachment 50818 View attachment 50819 View attachment 50822

Another goal down, but now the Jeep really needs a lift! I drove around for a bit on the 32's without issues or rubbing, but it was sitting pretty low! Love the BFG's with the RWL out...old school for an old school Jeep.

View attachment 50817
Can you post a picture of the Proclip in your jeep? I wanted to get the Angled Dash Mount so it does not block the windshield but their site says its only for automatic transmission.

OP
OP
mots

mots

TJ Enthusiast
May 11, 2018
OH, USA
Wow you spent a lot of time writing! I dont have time to read it all right now but wanted to say we have almost the same Jeep. 2005 RME Silver, 6 speed. Purchased last summer with under 52k on it. Tires, wheels, lift were already on it. They were pretty much exactly what I would have installed if I bought a stock Jeep so I think I got a pretty good deal. Same goes for the Bestop.

View attachment 71626
Can you post a picture of the Proclip in your jeep? I wanted to get the Angled Dash Mount so it does not block the windshield but their site says its only for automatic transmission.
Awesome, I saw one of our twins yesterday on the road near where I work. Also black wheels :).

Here is apic of the ProClip mount. I posted about it in another thread, but it should probably be here too.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rugged-ridge-dash-multi-mount.7527/page-2#post-273661

7F56EF2B-6610-40FE-A8D6-169BB1C84029.jpg

July 18, 2018
After much debate, I decided to have the professionals down the road install my lift. I received a bonus from work and that sealed the deal. I didn't feel like wrestling with 13 year old rusty nuts and bolts and I knew they could do it in a day while I was off working at my day job, as opposed to me wasting a whole weekend, LOL. The shop installs many BDS TJ lifts and had many local Jeeps as examples in their portfolio to demonstrate their work. They also do re-gearing and many full-on hard core builds and custom fabrications. The owner also lives in my neighborhood, so I needed to befriend these guys anyhow in case I ever need something!

Here is what I went with keeping with my OEM+ plan:
  • 2” BDS Lift (BDS springs + NX2 shocks)
  • NX2 steering stabilizer (maybe not giving any performance gains, but hey it looks cool and the stock one looked beat!).
  • JKS “Quicker Disconnect” adjustable front sway links for 0-2" lift.
I'm very happy with the lift height and the ride is nice and compliant on-road. A bonus was that the NX2 shocks and stabilizer have a silver painted body that matches my bright silver TJ.

Before and after:
View attachment 51608

View attachment 51596

View attachment 51597
View attachment 51685 View attachment 51600 View attachment 51601 View attachment 51602 View attachment 51603 View attachment 51604 View attachment 51605

July 19, 2018
Manifold-back exhaust installed. As I reported back a few posts, I was getting the dreaded CEL with code P0421 (Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold - Bank 1). It kept coming back after I cleared it several times, at least once every 200 miles and sometimes more often. Usually it was by itself (typically means the cat is bad). Along the way, I also received the P0153 (CAT slow response bank 2 sensor 1) 2 times.

The stock manifold was still in decent shape at 102k miles, but the mid-pipe (downpipe with 2 pre-cats + 3rd cat), O2 sensors, and cat-back were original. I also had a very strong suspicion that there was some blockage in one or more of the cats because the Jeep didn't readily allow me to push past 3500-4000 RPM. Many others have reported the same on TJ's around the 100k mark.

It was time get 'er done and make this thing run properly with no CEL's. Here is the system I went with. To my surprise, I was able to do this in a very economical fashion.
What a difference! The TJ exhaust is now flowing properly again and I can easily and smoothly take it up to redline. There was definitely some blockage in one or more of the cats. With the new exhaust and the XP985 spark plugs, the TJ is running like a champ. Since I am writing this post one month later, I can also say that I have run 4 tanks of gas without a CEL.

Some think the Banks cat-back is a noise maker, but it is barely louder than the stock exhaust on the later TJ's with the 3 catalytic converters. On older TJ's with the single cat, it will be a bit louder.

View attachment 51682 View attachment 51681

View attachment 51683 View attachment 51679

View attachment 51680
Now our Jeeps are waaaay too similar. I got the same code today except bank 2 vs 1. 2u5yN%v2TZC4mF+rGMRxKQ.jpg

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Feb 27, 2017
Texas Hill Country, United States
Caught up to post #31 (sweating). This is some crazy detail describing the mental road that we probably all went down.

Great work, of course, but you already knew that. Beautiful rig and great decisions, especially to build it. Another case of getting the Jeep mod bug, but keeping it as simple as possible. Well done

OP
OP
mots

mots

TJ Enthusiast
May 11, 2018
OH, USA
Caught up to post #31 (sweating). This is some crazy detail describing the mental road that we probably all went down.

Great work, of course, but you already knew that. Beautiful rig and great decisions, especially to build it. Another case of getting the Jeep mod bug, but keeping it as simple as possible. Well done
Haha, thanks for reading and the nice comments JMT! It really is a challenge to make sensible decisions that fit the needs and budget. Couldn’t have done it without you guys and this site!