Mountain of new parts in the barn but my body isn’t allowing me to install them

Rescue6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Turns out it’s hard work building and keeping up with the Jeeps when you are doing it alone and handicapped. Didn’t ever used to think anything about working on the Jeep or any other vehicle at that matter. But I can’t do what I used to by myself Or at all in some cases. After six spinal surgeries. An implanted spinal cord Stimulator and permanent nerve impairment it’s slow going to say the least. I’ll get it all done at some point. I’m just frustrated with my body and abilities anymore. I’ve Currently got the rear RJ 60 out for an ARB locker I'm installing as I broke the Eaton E locker for the second time. It’s repairable but I already had to do it once so I’m replacing it this time since the part from Eaton is backordered. All while I have New Genright Aluminum highline fenders and inner fenders, Genright Aluminium rear armor and rear flares, Genright windshield armor, Genright Stretch mini boat side sliders, Genright 3 piece hood louvre, Genright aluminum tire carrier, New trans mount built so the skid doesn’t hold the trans., a new belly skid, I have three link brackets for the front end to install, new shock towers for the front and rear to allow longer shocks, new front track bar frame mount, front steering stretch kit, new tuned 12” race series Fox 2.0 for all four corners, new Currie springs f&r, new hood and new cowl, Raised body mounts and a set of half doors. And the paint for the whole Jeep. All waiting on me. I will eventually get this round of parts done. Just in time for the full width axles to be completed and the last two ORI’s to be purchased. I am removing Genright full steel corner armor, flares and Genright Gen 1 front fenders, 10” Fox 2.0 shocks, 4” springs, etc. etc. But the pile just keeps growing faster than it should. It’s like it’s reproducing on it’s own at this point. Sorry I just had to bitch about it to people that might understand the urge I have to work on my Jeep. Just wish my body would cooperate. My wife doesn’t understand.

I am in a similar situation with parts needing installed versus my body continually saying nope. Although not as bad as your spinal issues, I was t-boned this last October and both my knees have been in extreme pain since. I wear knee braces every single step through my days. Needing to go back to the doctor and finally get them fixed, but I also work a job I can’t easily take time away from. I’ll get all the work on my Jeep done, but it’s taking 10x as long as it ever has in my history…

I hope you start feeling better and getting many things ticked off the Jeep to-do list!

Sorry to hear about the physical limitations. There are a lot of days that all I care about is getting home so I can spend the rest of the day in the garage working on the Jeep. Would be awesome if you could find a teenager in the area that showed an interest that you could put to work and supervise.

I am in a similar situation with parts needing installed versus my body continually saying nope. Although not as bad as your spinal issues, I was t-boned this last October and both my knees have been in extreme pain since. I wear knee braces every single step through my days. Needing to go back to the doctor and finally get them fixed, but I also work a job I can’t easily take time away from. I’ll get all the work on my Jeep done, but it’s taking 10x as long as it ever has in my history…

I hope you start feeling better and getting many things ticked off the Jeep to-do list!
Sorry to hear you are hurting. Hope it gets better

Reactions: MichaelGH
Sorry to hear about the physical limitations. There are a lot of days that all I care about is getting home so I can spend the rest of the day in the garage working on the Jeep. Would be awesome if you could find a teenager in the area that showed an interest that you could put to work and supervise.
Yeah it would be nice to teach another youngster. My youngest graduated this last May. I swear he hasn’t been home more that to sleep and eat ever since. He helps occasionally but usually only long enough to then ask me to work on his Dirtbike or his Jeep. Seems that’s all I’m good for these days other then cash. I’ve got a buddy I help and who helps me but he works a day job and I’m Medically retired so I usually have hurt myself by the time he gets off work. I tend to over do it on the days I feel decent then spend the rest of the day in bed and sometimes two or three days in bed.

Hey brother I hear ya!

The 50+ years I’ve spent being a welder, sheet metal, machinist, fabricator hasn’t been kind to my back or my knees. Or any other place for that matter! 🤣
So yeah, I can appreciate what you’re saying.

But you’re still a young man, so remember:
Slow and steady wins the race.

Don’t be in such a hurry that it becomes a detriment to your health!

Patience my friend, you’ll get there, and good luck to you too!

I feel guilty now and will quit complaining about my minor aches and pains. My 5 hernia surgeries, torn bicep (didn't have surgery), torn rotator cuff and back occasionally giving out for days doesn't compare. My problems are all the result of powerlifting in my younger days. 😬

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your back problems.

I’ve got a buddy I help and who helps me but he works a day job and I’m Medically retired so I usually have hurt myself by the time he gets off work. I tend to over do it on the days I feel decent then spend the rest of the day in bed and sometimes two or three days in bed.

I'm not sure what Medically retired is but if it's like Workers Comp they won't like you doing so much physical activity, and I'm pretty sure Workers Comp looks to find anything that it doesn't like. I'm not saying your cheating any system, I'm just saying to be careful in general so you don't piss off the "big guy" or do more damage to yourself.

This is very well put:
But you’re still a young man, so remember:
Slow and steady wins the race.

Don’t be in such a hurry that it becomes a detriment to your health!

Patience my friend, you’ll get there, and good luck to you too!

Is this the Piss & Moan thread? ;)

I hear you, @Rescue6 although my body isn't in as bad of shape as yours, I definitely feel more limitations and pain as I age.

Still, it always feels good to do it myself. It gives me a subtle, but tangible confidence whenever I take it on an adventure.

Reactions: Thedogsbollocks
I appreciate all the support and offers to help. Sorry about the whiny post. I just had to bitch and moan to others that could understand. Jeeps are all I have left of my old life and it’s just so damn frustrating when something that used to take me an a couple hours now takes me multiple days or even weeks to finish because of the injuries. Spending time laying around in pain and thinking of everything I need or want to do certainly doesn’t help. It will get there eventually. I’ve got the parts finally anyway. Sorry again for the whiny ass poor poor pitiful me crap. I’m feeling a little better today. Still bed bound again from trying to do too much on my own on Monday I’ll live just slower

Turns out it’s hard work building and keeping up with the Jeeps when you are doing it alone and handicapped. Didn’t ever used to think anything about working on the Jeep or any other vehicle at that matter. But I can’t do what I used to by myself Or at all in some cases. After six spinal surgeries. An implanted spinal cord Stimulator and permanent nerve impairment it’s slow going to say the least. I’ll get it all done at some point. I’m just frustrated with my body and abilities anymore. I’ve Currently got the rear RJ 60 out for an ARB locker I'm installing as I broke the Eaton E locker for the second time. It’s repairable but I already had to do it once so I’m replacing it this time since the part from Eaton is backordered. All while I have New Genright Aluminum highline fenders and inner fenders, Genright Aluminium rear armor and rear flares, Genright windshield armor, Genright Stretch mini boat side sliders, Genright 3 piece hood louvre, Genright aluminum tire carrier, New trans mount built so the skid doesn’t hold the trans., a new belly skid, I have three link brackets for the front end to install, new shock towers for the front and rear to allow longer shocks, new front track bar frame mount, front steering stretch kit, new tuned 12” race series Fox 2.0 for all four corners, new Currie springs f&r, new hood and new cowl, Raised body mounts and a set of half doors. And the paint for the whole Jeep. All waiting on me. I will eventually get this round of parts done. Just in time for the full width axles to be completed and the last two ORI’s to be purchased. I am removing Genright full steel corner armor, flares and Genright Gen 1 front fenders, 10” Fox 2.0 shocks, 4” springs, etc. etc. But the pile just keeps growing faster than it should. It’s like it’s reproducing on it’s own at this point. Sorry I just had to bitch about it to people that might understand the urge I have to work on my Jeep. Just wish my body would cooperate. My wife doesn’t understand.
Man keep the faith. You have been through a lot. A lot of healthy people would never have gotten as far with one as you have. You aren’t done.

People like you are what we need, passionate and enthusiastic enough to build one despite all the surgeries and pain.

visualize yourself well and wheeling it , know it is going to happen....it is extremely important to have something to look forward to. Read what Victor Frankl has to say about that .

Don’t quit.

I'm right there with ya man! I'm in my late 20s but I have a disability that has crippled me not entirely but i'm not what I used to be 10 years ago before my disease started and I don't really have anyone to help me so it takes me longer to do things, they get done eventually but I too have parts waiting now, so i'm in the boat with you

Reactions: Blondie70
You guys are the heros.

Makes me stop and realize not every one on here has the same deal, and not to be too quick to give someone grief about something that they can’t even bend over to fix, etc.

I appreciate the thread, and you guys baring your souls a little. We take a lot for granted, health especially.

Last edited:
Is this the Piss & Moan thread? ;)

I hear you, @Rescue6 although my body isn't in as bad of shape as yours, I definitely feel more limitations and pain as I age.

Still, it always feels good to do it myself. It gives me a subtle, but tangible confidence whenever I take it on an adventure.
Well said. It really makes you more familiar with the vehicle, by far....and that can help you figure things out before sunset.

Well said. It really makes you more familiar with the vehicle, by far....and that can help you figure things out before sunset.
Being in business I don't get that type of gratification from my own stuff. Matter of fact my stuff gets put on the back burner because of course...you know...i don't make money off myself.

Other things however I learn and do...I can porcelain tile a floor now like a champ... shit like that.
I've become a self proclaimed master plumber over the years...cut weird designs in the four acres I have to mow...

Being in business I don't get that type of gratification from my own stuff. Matter of fact my stuff gets put on the back burner because of course...you know...i don't make money off myself.

Other things however I learn and do...I can porcelain tile a floor now like a champ... shit like that.
I've become a self proclaimed master plumber over the years...cut weird designs in the four acres I have to mow...
That is funny, im a tile setter by trade , and became a residential remodeler. On weekends the last thing i want to do is drag carpentry tools out, I want to play mechanic.

It is good to learn new things, I think when you do something professionally it becomes “here i go again “ a little.

On another note, I’m proud guys like us found a way to succeed in the trades, America needs that so bad.

I appreciate all the support and offers to help. Sorry about the whiny post. I just had to bitch and moan to others that could understand. Jeeps are all I have left of my old life and it’s just so damn frustrating when something that used to take me an a couple hours now takes me multiple days or even weeks to finish because of the injuries. Spending time laying around in pain and thinking of everything I need or want to do certainly doesn’t help. It will get there eventually. I’ve got the parts finally anyway. Sorry again for the whiny ass poor poor pitiful me crap. I’m feeling a little better today. Still bed bound again from trying to do too much on my own on Monday I’ll live just slower
Have you tried marijuana for the pain?