MountaineerTom's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

You can look in the hole in the bottom center of the skid to see/feel if the tank is all the way down.

I ended up crawling under there this morning before going to work. Looks like it’s all the way down. I’ll get up in there on Wednesday or Thursday with a light and inspection mirror and see if the fuel line is actually tight between the tank and crossmember.

624C8622-9FD3-4C79-8600-30AEF2FFBBB6.jpeg

I used my endoscope camera to look at that fuel line that I thought might be crushed between the fuel tank and crossmember. It looks snug in there but I don’t think it’s being crushed.

EAABD6A8-DE6E-4748-A191-4159E6B54329.jpeg

BBA423C0-DFB5-404D-897B-CB8DB35418B9.jpeg

8AE64796-6AC2-4EBD-B5DD-08676A91F89F.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a 5 tire rotation, an oil and filter change and changed the air filter.

I tried one of these Form-A-Funnel‘s for the first time for changing out the filter. It worked pretty good. Not a drop of oil anywhere except in the funnel and drain pan.

Form-A-Funnel Flexible Draining Tool - General Purpose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017MTFIYE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

9985C244-2C10-4680-B665-7ABBEBF444E9.jpeg

22B80705-B857-4FD1-9354-E8835410BCD1.jpeg

84EA323C-AB0F-4FBA-A819-50D33E98D437.jpeg

Last edited:
Took the Jeep out on the trails last Wednesday for first time since having the Savvy control arms, UCF extra clearance skid, SYE and Tom Woods drive shaft. I’m happy with how they performed. Went to a
few areas where I drug skids a lot before. This time, the UCF skid didn’t have any signs of dragging. Engine skid drug a little on one area that it did before but the transfer skid didn’t. Also tested one of the Dana 30 mini skids and is did what it’s supposed to do. The Savvy gas tank skid got broke in as well, but I don’t know where. I didn’t even realize it until after getting home.

IMG_6452.jpeg

IMG_6443.jpeg

IMG_6479.jpeg

IMG_6442.jpeg

Last edited:
Took the Jeep out on the trails last Wednesday for first time since having the Savvy control arms, UCF extra clearance skid, SYE and Tom Woods drive shaft. I’m happy with how they performed. Went to a
few areas where I drug skids a lot before. This time, the UCF skid didn’t have any signs of dragging. Engine skid drug a little on one area that it did before but the transfer skid didn’t. Also tested one of the Dana 30 mini skids and is did what it’s supposed to do. The Savvy gas tank skid got broke in as well, but I don’t know where. I didn’t even realize it until after getting home.

View attachment 422594

View attachment 422595

View attachment 422596

View attachment 422597

Snip.jpg

If you drive off the clearly marked path —- of course you will engage with obstructive terrain. Please use our clearly identified path, some small potholes may be encountered. But please do not state that our Government provided pathway is unusable and then flex to impress....

—-

J/k. What I saw the pic it appears so flat straight ahead (ack it's deceptive in the pic) and then there was you off the straight line flexing. :ROFLMAO:

Glad you got to get out and flex it out! Sounds like you are happy with the results. (y)

• Haha
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Yeah, the angle is a little deceiving it’s not really flat anywhere in that picture. On the far right is a relatively smooth trail up and around everything. I purposely chose some areas where I drug the OEM transfer case skid with my 31” tires so I could compare the UCF skid.

Reactions: FarFire70
I got something completed today that I've been wanting to do for a long time; converted the fluorescent light fixtures in my workshop over to LED's. Six fixtures, each with two eight-foot bulbs in them. Removed the ballast and rewired them all for direct wire. The bulbs are GE color select tubes, advertised as 4000k, 5000k and 6500k. They are incredibly bright on the 6500k setting. So much better than the fluorescents with no humming or flickering.

IMG_6708.JPG

IMG_6712.JPG

IMG_6618.JPG

I got something completed today that I've been wanting to do for a long time; converted the fluorescent light fixtures in my workshop over to LED's. Six fixtures, each with two eight-foot bulbs in them. Removed the ballast and rewired them all for direct wire. The bulbs are GE color select tubes, advertised as 4000k, 5000k and 6500k. They are incredibly bright on the 6500k setting. So much better than the fluorescents with no humming or flickering.

View attachment 431553

View attachment 431555

View attachment 431551

That’s a pretty cool solution. How do you change the temperature?

Washed it up, did a little extra on the soft top by applying protectant and cleaner for the windows, then took it off and tucked it away until late fall. Swapped the full doors for the half doors and installed the safari top. Also fixed a loose pin on the passenger's side door surround and made some paracord pulls for the soft uppers. Still need to reinstall my rear seat so I can take my oldest granddaughter for a coupe rides in about a week. :)

IMG_6824.JPG

IMG_6819.JPG

IMG_6823.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

Last edited:
did a little extra on the soft top by applying protectant and cleaner for the windows

Tom, what are you using on your windows? I’ve been cleaning with Meguires soft top cleaner and applying 303 "Protect". These work fine, but I’ve been thinking my windows need a little more attention, maybe even polishing. Of course if I go down that path I'm sure I'll wind up polishing the whole Jeep which is about a 10 hour job. :sneaky:

I use the window cleaner that comes in the Bestop cleaning/protection kit. It has 1 bottle each of soft top cleaner, protectant and window cleaner. No particular reason I use that kind other than someone got it for me as a gift.

Reactions: Wildman and BlueC
Great reading today, glad you have the thread. I picked up LJR, 6spd a few weeks ago. It was from the first time owner and in good shape. Mostly stock with the exception of winch, 2” spacer lift, 32” tires and on board air compressor via a second a/c compressor. Has 112K on it, has a wheel shimmy around 45MPH, even after tires rotated and balanced, but that is about it. Trying to decide what all I want to do, already have an engine / tranny skid to put on. Need to figure out the shimmy of course. Trying to decide if I want to replace the spacers with an actual suspension lift. This jeep is addition to my 2015 JK, which is a different beast all together.

Anyways some great ideas on here. And thank you for your service.

Great reading today, glad you have the thread. I picked up LJR, 6spd a few weeks ago. It was from the first time owner and in good shape. Mostly stock with the exception of winch, 2” spacer lift, 32” tires and on board air compressor via a second a/c compressor. Has 112K on it, has a wheel shimmy around 45MPH, even after tires rotated and balanced, but that is about it. Trying to decide what all I want to do, already have an engine / tranny skid to put on. Need to figure out the shimmy of course. Trying to decide if I want to replace the spacers with an actual suspension lift. This jeep is addition to my 2015 JK, which is a different beast all together.

Anyways some great ideas on here. And thank you for your service.

Thank you. :)

Over the weekend, I replaced the old High Pressure Sodium light fixture on the front of my workshop to an LED area light. Kinda goes with my new LED tubes inside the shop. Liking it really well. Going to replace another one that is on a pole near the house soon as well.

IMG_6908.jpeg

IMG_6911.jpeg

IMG_6912.jpeg