MountaineerTom's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Oops, I meant @freedom_in_4low had the Lock Right, not the No Slip.

Yes, the Torq does ratchet and click when turning. With the windows up and radio off I can't hear it in the cab. With the windows down and radio off, I can hear it. In the Torq instructions, it says there is a 600 mile break in and it may be less noticeable after that. It also says and occasional "clunk" may be heard with this style locker and should be of no concern. I'm using the recommended 85W-140 conventional gear oil that is supposed to help quiet it down.

I've only driven it about 25 miles though. Too much crappy, rainy weather.
I'm sure it's awesome on the trail. I ran with a front locker only for a while, and if I suggested one locker only, it would be a front, even though I know it is hotly debated. The reason is a rear only can push and cause a dangerous situation when raising the front tires, causing inadvertent tire rise that is sudden and unexpected. Two lockers is awesome though. Virtually unstoppable.

I'm sure it's awesome on the trail. I ran with a front locker only for a while, and if I suggested one locker only, it would be a front, even though I know it is hotly debated. The reason is a rear only can push and cause a dangerous situation when raising the front tires, causing inadvertent tire rise that is sudden and unexpected. Two lockers is awesome though. Virtually unstoppable.
I‘m looking forward to getting on a trail with it. Hopefully in a few weeks I’ll be able to go to one of the off-road parks somewhat nearby to test it out. 👍

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
Hmmm. Interesting video. The PowerTrax Lock Rite is different from the PowerTrax No Slip that I have. Does the Torq ratchet when you turn?

I've never had a no slip in my hands so I don't know exactly how it works, my understanding is just that some extra parts hold the cam gear and the side gear separated until the end of the turn, rather than ratcheting with every tooth.

All of the other automatic lockers that I compared in the video ratchet during the turn. I don't even hear mine from inside even with the windows open, but I know it's ratcheting because I have zero signs of it being locked up when I'm turning, and it passed the spin test with flying colors. I suspect I might hear it at low speed with the doors off, when the weather warms back up enough to do that.

I thought most already closed for the winter?
Gulches is open year round unless it’s really wet and muddy, which it is very much so now. LOL

I‘ve only been there once and it was ok. Most trails seemed a little too intense for my skill level and “how much do I want to smash my Jeep up?” level. LOL.

It will be good for really testing the locker out though.

I can’t hear my lunchbox locker in the front my TJ. But when I had my XJ with a spartan in the front omg, on tight left hand turns, sounded like a Grenada was going off. I wheeled with 2 other xjs with the same locker and theirs was not as bad.

I've never had a no slip in my hands so I don't know exactly how it works, my understanding is just that some extra parts hold the cam gear and the side gear separated until the end of the turn, rather than ratcheting with every tooth.

All of the other automatic lockers that I compared in the video ratchet during the turn. I don't even hear mine from inside even with the windows open, but I know it's ratcheting because I have zero signs of it being locked up when I'm turning, and it passed the spin test with flying colors. I suspect I might hear it at low speed with the doors off, when the weather warms back up enough to do that.
Torq Locker sounds confident they have done away with the cause of the ratcheting by eliminating the spacer, which you showed in the comparison. Interesting.

“ Best On-Road manners of any automatic locker; the Key-Way design is more forgiving than the rigid dowel pin design. The Key-Way allows for smoother locker engagement. By eliminating the spacers they eliminated the leading cause of the pop some people experience with automatic lockers.”

Torq Locker sounds confident they have done away with the cause of the ratcheting by eliminating the spacer, which you showed in the comparison. Interesting.

“ Best On-Road manners of any automatic locker; the Key-Way design is more forgiving than the rigid dowel pin design. The Key-Way allows for smoother locker engagement. By eliminating the spacers they eliminated the leading cause of the pop some people experience with automatic lockers.”

I think popping and ratcheting are two different things. The ratcheting still happens...it has to, lacking the parts of the No Slip. That's the only locker I'm aware of that eliminates the clicking as the gears ride up and down over each other during a turn.

The hard bangs and pops that other lockers (supposedly...I've only ever had the Torq) is what Torq claims to be eliminated by the keyed, spacerless design. I think it would be more accurate to say the keyed design without pins is what eliminates those; the keys perform the function of both the pins and the spacers. I believe the cause of those hard bangs is the pins getting sideways and binding up because the contact is concentrated between the pin and the edge of it's hole. I've mentioned before that I do experience a mild pop, occasionally, but it's never been the loud bangs with a noticeable sensation of unloading the driveline that many describe as a "feature" of auto lockers.

The hard bangs and pops that other lockers (supposedly...I've only ever had the Torq) is what Torq claims to be eliminated by the keyed, spacerless design. I think it would be more accurate to say the keyed design without pins is what eliminates those; the keys perform the function of both the pins and the spacers. I believe the cause of those hard bangs is the pins getting sideways and binding up because the contact is concentrated between the pin and the edge of it's hole. I've mentioned before that I do experience a mild pop, occasionally, but it's never been the loud bangs with a noticeable sensation of unloading the driveline that many describe as a "feature" of auto lockers.

I only had the clicking noises with my Lock-Rite in my front axle. The BANGS and wiggle in the rear was what the Detroit Locker did. But this was the old style Detroit before they'd come out with the soft locker. It was a lot of fun sometimes but never enough to casue me serious issues.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Started reorganizing my tool bag. Removed a few things and went from the big mechanics tool bag to the Rhino USA tool roll. got rid of the bulky wrench roll ups and the socket case and put them on a strip. The tool roll takes up a little less room in my tool box.

48A202E5-524C-4BB7-B0F1-A597732A6A1A.jpeg

EA942F7D-CB85-4B77-AEB1-7EE2BED26A4A.jpeg

12F4EEF5-D6E7-4482-A2AD-A8268CCC9F2A.jpeg
C854B8F1-E050-4A63-8BFB-3E2EF017C23B.jpeg
612C4B06-8592-426B-8BF8-D74D223EBCF4.jpeg

@MountaineerTom , did you ever get to test out your locker on a trail?
No, not yet. No time off on a day that would be good to go yet. I’m trying to plan a day in 2 or 3 weeks when I’m off on a Friday.

We got a little snow and ice here a couple weeks ago. Not really a big deal, but is is for some in my area that are not used to it. I went out about 1:30am and played around on some of the forest roads nearby. Not really enough to do anything. Had fun at the car wash at 3:00am in 29° weather washing all the mud off so it didn’t thaw and fall off in my shop. 🤣

Reactions: JMT
Very nice and thorough build!

I have been eyeing that tool bag from Rhino usa as well. Nice to see some real world pics.

I have an aussie in the front of lj, stock rear and it works pretty good. I think you will be happy with the torq updated locker. I hear mine clicking on slow turns but other than that I don't notice it.

Looking good! I didn't know Viair sold that bracket. I've been holding out on installing my 400H because I wanted to do a Windstar intake and mount it where the stock airbox goes. I like your solution though. I've got my Rubicon locker pumps on the ABS tray right now, but I wonder if that bracket could accommodate them along with the Viair. Is there a decent amount of clearance between the brake booster, master cylinder, and the bracket in that spot?

The more I look at it, the more I like that mounting point - the wires right next to the big loom across the firewall, the I/O switch right on top, the air line output facing the right direction...

Started reorganizing my tool bag. Removed a few things and went from the big mechanics tool bag to the Rhino USA tool roll. got rid of the bulky wrench roll ups and the socket case and put them on a strip. The tool roll takes up a little less room in my tool box.
Always interesting to see what people carry. I spy a Park Tools 36mm crow foot. I like the pipe, I'm going to have to do that. I'm surprised you don't carry locking pliers or at least they aren't in the picture.