MountaineerTom's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Looking good! I didn't know Viair sold that bracket. I've been holding out on installing my 400H because I wanted to do a Windstar intake and mount it where the stock airbox goes. I like your solution though. I've got my Rubicon locker pumps on the ABS tray right now, but I wonder if that bracket could accommodate them along with the Viair. Is there a decent amount of clearance between the brake booster, master cylinder, and the bracket in that spot?

The more I look at it, the more I like that mounting point - the wires right next to the big loom across the firewall, the I/O switch right on top, the air line output facing the right direction...
There won't be much room between the bracket and booster. 1/4 inch or so. I changed the male quick connect fitting out to a female coupler. I plan to mount the coupler on the grille brace or possibly onto the bracket itself if there is enough room.

Reactions: Tob
Always interesting to see what people carry. I spy a Park Tools 36mm crow foot. I like the pipe, I'm going to have to do that. I'm surprised you don't carry locking pliers or at least they aren't in the picture.
Yeah, I got the crow foot for the fan blade nut. I need to get a pair of locking pliers for the bag. I think of it sometimes at the worst time; middle of the night when I can't sleep, at work, etc but always forget to pick up a pair. You can't see it in the picture, but I wrote The Persuader on it in sharpie. I wife gets a laugh out of it every time she sees it. :ROFLMAO: I have a couple other of them like that in my shop toolbox and truck.

Reactions: pagrey
Found your thread digging around and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Lots of little considerations and implementation. Glad to see someone else rocking 31's and having fun. :cool:

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Found your thread digging around and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Lots of little considerations and implementation. Glad to see someone else rocking 31's and having fun. :cool:
Thanks, I enjoy it. Maybe 33’s someday but the 31’s are working for me right now.

Finished up my Viair 400H underhood air compressor. @Tob , you were asking about how close it is to the brake booster. There was a decent gap, but I split a piece of old rubber hose I had and slid down between them just in case there was some movement.

I used one existing M8 x 1.25 nut plate in the tray to mount the bracket to and drilled one other. I put a 90° on the bottom and drilled a hole in the plate to run the air intake hose. I just placed the air filter back behind the bracket. Zip tied the coupler to the grill brace. Waiting on one of those pacifier things from Wit’s End to be delivered. Still need to get some more plastic loom because I ran out.

Trying to figure out now how to fix the engine/hood/firewall ground connector that broke. May just have to get a whole new strap or two. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/engine-hood-firewall-ground-strap.60008/#post-1070243

ADF17BBF-F5D6-45D0-8C6F-7B6ECA539D37.jpeg
7E6CF57E-B302-4516-8A3B-2EA5898995ED.jpeg
3302DBCD-003D-4873-B95D-FDB6EC964E74.jpeg
64945C86-4743-495A-9A3C-FB831679AA89.jpeg
D6F1A420-9F53-4831-92D4-8F2D55982BE1.jpeg
FC0494E5-02FA-46A7-A4C1-B60D71EAA3A3.jpeg
E328C68D-BABF-4B49-B977-C6DE8F2669A3.jpeg

So I was all excited the other day, carried out my compressor to test fit, opened up the hood, and it occurred to me that I have a manual, and that real estate is already claimed by the clutch hydraulics. I may try to take off the ABS tray and mount it deeper in the fender if it'll fit.
I had my Viair mounted underneath the master cylinder on the ABS tray, a dual ARB is there now.

Reactions: Irun and Inline.TJ
Finished up my Viair 400H underhood air compressor. @Tob , you were asking about how close it is to the brake booster. There was a decent gap, but I split a piece of old rubber hose I had and slid down between them just in case there was some movement.

I used one existing M8 x 1.25 nut plate in the tray to mount the bracket to and drilled one other. I put a 90° on the bottom and drilled a hole in the plate to run the air intake hose. I just placed the air filter back behind the bracket. Zip tied the coupler to the grill brace. Waiting on one of those pacifier things from Wit’s End to be delivered. Still need to get some more plastic loom because I ran out.

Trying to figure out now how to fix the engine/hood/firewall ground connector that broke. May just have to get a whole new strap or two. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/engine-hood-firewall-ground-strap.60008/#post-1070243

View attachment 311703View attachment 311704View attachment 311705View attachment 311709View attachment 311706View attachment 311707View attachment 311708
Is this the mounting bracket you used? (close to your pic, but not rounded off for the hood)

https://www.viaircorp.com/air-accessories/mountingbracket

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Curious, so there wasn’t room to just mount it flat to the stock ABS plate, positioned just as you show it sitting on the work bench?
I didn’t measure the tray or anything, but I don’t think it would fit. The compressor is fairly long at almost 11 inches. I wanted it up so the switch was easy to get to also.

Reactions: Mfpaul73 and Tob
Is this the mounting bracket you used? (close to your pic, but not rounded off for the hood)

https://www.viaircorp.com/air-accessories/mountingbracket
Yes, that’s it. I just rounded the corner, drilled a hole in the side the compressor mounts on and put an elbow into the compressor and screwed the barbed fitting for the intake onto it. The intake hose passes through that hole I drilled. I used some rubber fuel line I had laying around for the intake because that hard hose they supplied is VERY hard and kinked when I trried you bend it. I guess I could have got another barbed elbow, but that would have meant another trip to the hardware store and I had the rubber hose laying around.

Last edited:
Reactions: zebra12 and Irun
I wondered if there was any progress planned on the skid and steering changes? Or are they’ll n the back burner for now.

I wondered if there was any progress planned on the skid and steering changes? Or are they’ll n the back burner for now.
Nothing planned yet. I still haven't had a chance to get to some good trails for a real test of the front locker. Twice I've had plans to, but something has come up both times to sideline it. 😒

• Sad
Reactions: Irun
After an unexpected day off of work yesterday, I took off to Uwharrie to play around for a little bit and get a good feel on how the Torq Locker works. My wife wasn't feeling well and since it was last minute, I ended up going by myself. I wasn't willing to try anything too difficult due to that. The first video was a little ledge I had never tried before. With the auto locker, the steering feels heavier when in 4-LOW which I expected. I'm happy with the locker.

The forest around the back side of Daniel trail looks like they have done a controlled burn on it.

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

Went to air up before heading home, and this happened on the 2nd tire. 😐 The Eldorado Outpost has free air though.

IMG_4146.JPG

Last edited:
After blowing the air hose when airing up my tires (see above post) I’m thinking of adding this tee and a 150 psi pressure relief valve between the hose and coupler.

For those with experience with onboard air systems, would there be any problem with doing that? Compressor max psi is 150 psi, new air hose is 160 psi.

Blowing the original hose turned out to be my fault. I thought I had bought a higher psi hose, but it was only rated 120 psi.

54E87174-CD89-41D2-809B-072D1EC66F28.jpeg

I would definitely run a pressure relief valve - I do on my setup. Although as you mentioned it was not the cause of your hose issue, the relief valve protects your pump, and other components, if the pump runs away for some reason.

I would definitely run a pressure relief valve - I do on my setup. Although as you mentioned it was not the cause of your hose issue, the relief valve protects your pump, and other components, if the pump runs away for some reason.
Great, thanks. (y)