MountaineerTom's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Congrats, how many is that? Now make sure those parents are getting some sleep. I haven't slept well in nearly three years now, mostly due to my shadow whom you met.

Thanks. She’s the 2nd. Both grand daughters. One is turning 8 this summer and this newest one is actually 6 months old this month. We were supposed to be there for her birth but my wife and I both got Covid a couple days before her birth. My wife has been able to see her but I couldn't get off work and also had troubles with coordinating being able to meet with our son and his family.

Wont be able to help much with the sleep. LOL. They are about 6-1/2 hours away from us in WV and our other grand daughter is about 6 hours away in Va.

Hoping to get up there soon to see her too.

Reactions: BlueC
Clarification: are you saying that vibes come on at 40-50mph and then go away at higher speeds?

There are some vibes if I take off quickly from a stop (and then go away quickly) and then the ones around 40-50 mph. The best I can tell they go away. I haven‘t had it past 60-ish this time around though. I may try that tonight on the way home to see if I can go higher.

The vibes aren’t real bad. Just enough to feel it and make some things rattle/vibrate in the little storage pocket in the front part of the center console.

Oh yeah…

- 2 inch spring lift but got about 2.5” out of them.

- 31” tires

- UCF extra clearance transfer skid. I think they advertise 2 extra inches of clearance.

- Using a MOPAR trans mount. Have a UCF LowPro mount but would like to use the MOPAR if possible.

- Also have an Advance Adapters SYE sitting on the bench. I’d like to make sure everything else is squared away before installing it and getting a new drive shaft.

Reactions: JMT
Wont be able to help much with the sleep. LOL. They are about 6-1/2 hours away from us in WV and our other grand daughter is about 6 hours away in Va.

Sounds like you need to move up into my area where you'd be 3 hours closer, you're too close to Myrtle Beach now anyway. That's not good for your health. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Sounds like you need to move up into my area where you'd be 3 hours closer, you're too close to Myrtle Beach now anyway. That's not good for your health. :LOL:

I‘ve never liked Myrtle Beach. Too busy and too many people. That’s why we started going to Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort, SC and Ocracoke in the Outer Banks years ago. Hunting Island can be crowded on holidays, but there are usually areas less crowded if you’re willing to walk a little. 🙂

I think I’ve only been to Myrtle 3 or 4 times in the last 10-12 years. LOL

Reactions: Wildman and BlueC
Clarification: are you saying that vibes come on at 40-50mph and then go away at higher speeds?

There are some vibes if I take off quickly from a stop (and then go away quickly) and then the ones around 40-50 mph. The best I can tell they go away. I haven‘t had it past 60-ish this time around though. I may try that tonight on the way home to see if I can go higher.

The vibes aren’t real bad. Just enough to feel it and make some things rattle/vibrate in the little storage pocket in the front part of the center console.

Got it up to almost 70 on the way home from work. Not a lot of areas between work and home to be able to do that. The vibes were not bad at all. It was the same as when they kind of disappear around 50 mph. I hesitate to say they are not there at all, they may be and I’m thinking it’s just to road surface, but nothing like 40-50 mph.

I think I need to lower my fan shroud a little more. I think the fan hit the bottom when I did a hard take off.

Reactions: JMT
Got it up to almost 70 on the way home from work. Not a lot of areas between work and home to be able to do that. The vibes were not bad at all. It was the same as when they kind of disappear around 50 mph. I hesitate to say they are not there at all, they may be and I’m thinking it’s just to road surface, but nothing like 40-50 mph.

I think I need to lower my fan shroud a little more. I think the fan hit the bottom when I did a hard take off.

When you tuck it tilts the front of the engine back down some, and interference can happen.

At 2.5” of lift, an SYE would probably solve things.

What happens if you’re driving uphill on a driveway, about 10-20mph? Vibes?

I was in the same spot, sometimes wondering if the vibes were there or not. Then, when I drove it without the rear driveshaft, it immediately became clear that it was quieter and smoother. There was no longer any question about it, a very distinct difference.

That finally convinced me that I needed an SYE and DC driveshaft. I didn't want minor vibes wearing away at pinion and tranny bearings and u-joints over time.

When you tuck it tilts the front of the engine back down some, and interference can happen.

At 2.5” of lift, an SYE would probably solve things.

What happens if you’re driving uphill on a driveway, about 10-20mph? Vibes?

I elongated the holes in the shroud after adding the UCF skid. I probably just need to go a little more.

I don’t know, I don’t know anyone with an uphill driveway. Kinda flat around here. 🤣 I do know a place with some dirt roads that I can drive out to tomorrow and see what it does.

I was in the same spot, sometimes wondering if the vibes were there or not. Then, when I drove it without the rear driveshaft, it immediately became clear that it was quieter and smoother. There was no longer any question about it, a very distinct difference.

That finally convinced me that I needed an SYE and DC driveshaft. I didn't want minor vibes wearing away at pinion and tranny bearings and u-joints over time.

This is probably a dumb question, but will transfer case fluid run out, or get pumped out, if I drive it with the stock rear driveshaft removed?

The back of the 6-speed NSG370 has a seal. I don't know on the 42RLE.

Oops, that was dumb. We're talking about the transfer case. Nope, the seal will keep it inside.

The back of the 6-speed NSG370 has a seal. I don't know on the 42RLE.

Oops, that was dumb. We're talking about the transfer case. Nope, the seal will keep it inside.

Ok, thanks. I'll try pulling that tomorrow and see what happens when just front wheeling it. If it's the same, I'll try removing the front shaft and see what happens.

Pulled the transfer case today to start the SYE install. Gave it a good pressure wash too. Probably won't start tearing it apart until this weekend.

IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6038.JPG

What does everyone use to get at the three 9/16 nuts on top where the transfer case mates to the transmission?

I couldn't get a normal length wrench or ratchet in there due to how close the tub is. I could get a stubby wrench in there but had no leverage. I had to lower the transfer case way down to loosen them with regular length wrench. Just wondering how I'm going to get them torqued during the installation. :)

What does everyone use to get at the three 9/16 nuts on top where the transfer case mates to the transmission?

I couldn't get a normal length wrench or ratchet in there due to how close the tub is. I could get a stubby wrench in there but had no leverage. I had to lower the transfer case way down to loosen them with regular length wrench. Just wondering how I'm going to get them torqued during the installation. :)

I struggled with those too. I think in the end i went through the cab under the shifter opening. Can't fully remember. Also can't remember if i torqued them or just tightened it up and called it good 😬

I'm thinking I may have to just blue loctite them and get them as tight as I can when the time comes.

Reactions: kiwi
I knew I couldn't get a torque wrench in there. Don't have crows feet for reaching in there, and those top ones are tough.

So I put a bolt in a vice, and used a torque wrench to feel what 26 ft lbs feels like at about the length of my combo wrench. Then I used the combo wrench on the real bolts, trying to pull about as hard as the practice run. It's a lousy way to do it, but it's all I had.

Don't overdo it, you don't want to strip those studs in the aluminum case.