Mounting a Jerry Can

My 'do a little basic fuel management' wasn't meant to be a dig at you. But having wheeled in remote areas including Death Valley, I don't know of any location within the U.S. that is 300 miles from a gas station. Where do you wheel where the nearest gas station could be 300 miles, other than Alaska? That includes Death Valley where I have been several times including 3 days offroading there a few months ago. Even within Death Valley the furthest distances between the three gas stations within the park are only 29, 31, or 54 miles depending on where you are.

I needed extra fuel for a mojave desert run. Just a few extra gallons as insurance.. but the soft sand, low gear range, and explorations drained my whole tank and then some.

You are correct Jerry, that the extra fuel on most runs are not needed.. but when your overlanding.. and exploring.. just having the extra fuel as insurance.. is wise.

Some people have such an insatiable need to be right that they become blind to other valid points of view.

I wonder how our proponent of 'basic fuel management' in lieu of jerry cans would respond to an argument that spare tires are similarly unnecessary. Would he opine, My suggestion is to simply make good air management decisions?

Of course not.

Everyone's needs are different. Perhaps we should refocus on helping @Flivver250 accomplish his goal of carrying extra fuel in the best manner possible rather than kick dirt on his plan.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a side mount can for water.

For fuel... I think Mr. Bills setup is awesome.

The times i needed a fuel can was few.. and I threw in the groups chuck wagon. So buying the extra fuel can is on the lower part of my jeep list.

I like the idea of a side mount can for water.

For fuel... I think Mr. Bills setup is awesome.

The times i needed a fuel can was few.. and I threw in the groups chuck wagon. So buying the extra fuel can is on the lower part of my jeep list.

It doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.

I typically keep the cans empty around town and fill them before trips, both offroading trips and long road trips where getting stuck between towns can be a very long walk (think U.S 50, the "Loneliest Road in America" kind of walk).

The water can on the passenger side has a bung for a spigot, shown below, which is handy in camp.

Water Can with Spigot.jpg

My 'do a little basic fuel management' wasn't meant to be a dig at you. But having wheeled in remote areas including Death Valley, I don't know of any location within the U.S. that is 300 miles from a gas station. Where do you wheel where the nearest gas station could be 300 miles, other than Alaska? That includes Death Valley where I have been several times including 3 days offroading there a few months ago. Even within Death Valley the furthest distances between the three gas stations within the park are only 29, 31, or 54 miles depending on where you are.
Those sound like the closest stations via pavement. Most of DV is dirt and has long runs between gas stations.

For example, if you gas up in Olancha, its 75 miles to Saline HS, another 70 miles to Eureka Dunes and then another 90 miles to Stovepipe Wells (gas station). That route is a popular run through the northern end of DV. That's 235 miles without a station in between.

Another example- Stovepipe to Butte Valley to Goler Wash, thru Panamint Valley and back to Stovepipe is 180 miles by itself. Realistically, it is in the 220 to 250 range if you take the interesting side trips. I guess you can count the gas station at Panamint Springs as an option, but buying gas at $2 gallon over market is not appealing.

It's just not that hard to rack up 200+ miles in DV between fuel stops.

The distances get bigger in Utah. For example, gas up in Hanksville and run down to the Dollhouse on the Col. River, and return in a circular pattern. That's 200 miles, 170+ on dirt. And there's lots of cool side trails etc to explore. That multi day trip is easily 300++ miles between fills.

Last edited:
Reactions: superduty

Ever been to death valley where furnace Creek is out of fuel?

Jerry, you cite the furthest distances between the gas stations in DV....What does that have to do with the price of tea in China ?

Wouldn't the more important number be the furthest distance one could travel from a gas station?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If you guys want to create scenarios/routes to avoid the three gas stations in Death Valley, or complain you don't want to use one of the stations because it has higher prices due to its remoteness, be my guest. I'm not buying those scenarios as anything that would be forced on you. I've spent too many years wheeling in the deserts for any of your concerns to be anything that would concern me. My first trip out to the desert for going offroad (Calico Mountains) was in 1965 and I currently hit desert trails 8-12 times a year. I never had to worry about carrying extra gas, though I did for a couple years before I figured out it was just extra weight that wasn't necessary after just a little planning and good fuel management.

This is how I used to carry my jerry cans. I sold that carrier to get the non-jerry can version to move the spare in closer and to lose the weight.

rear.jpg

Last edited:
I have some mounts that 45 up and out similar to Mr Bills. They work good unless your tire mount supports aren't on a 45, but then all you have to do is some minor fabricating to get the angle correct. I can't remember where I got them, I'll dig around a bit.

I also run a small generator at times, chain saws, 4 wheelers, etc... So my extra fuel isn't necessarily for the Jeep.

It doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.

I typically keep the cans empty around town and fill them before trips, both offroading trips and long road trips where getting stuck between towns can be a very long walk (think U.S 50, the "Loneliest Road in America" kind of walk).

The water can on the passenger side has a bung for a spigot, shown below, which is handy in camp.

View attachment 71372

I've been a fan of your jeep and that rack setup for awhile.. especially since we have the same color jeep. Lol.

Reactions: Mr. Bills
I’ve been on a couple of Winter runs where we used at least twice if not three times the normal fuel amount due to deep snow. A few times when I finally arrived at the closest fuel station at 3-4:00am the fuel gauge was on empty. After that experience I started carrying extra fuel during most Winter runs.
Here is my Smittybilt fuel can holder mounted to a Bestop tire carrier, the MFC fits perfectly in the carrier.

8ABFC617-2A76-4579-A2F3-171053120C0D.jpeg

BC58CE19-0374-40C4-A29E-59F157644D0E.jpeg

Gas in california is going to get so expensive that driving my jeep will become stupidly expensive. By the time my 121k 4.0 hits 250k miles... gas will be 20 bucks a gallon in CA.

Was in texas over the weekend.. it was 2 bucks a gallon. Wtf

We go wheeling on Fridays with a full tank of fuel. That day is the sabbath here and the outlying gas stations are sparse. On average, we finish with about a 1/4 of a tank. Deep sand and tall dunes suck a tank dry pretty quick. If we camp and try to get in more sand time, I will feel better carrying extra fuel. I always carry more water and food then I think I will need as well. I like a couple of the mounting options I saw, and will rig something up.

Reactions: dla
I’ve been on a couple of Winter runs where we used at least twice if not three times the normal fuel amount due to deep snow. A few times when I finally arrived at the closest fuel station at 3-4:00am the fuel gauge was on empty. After that experience I started carrying extra fuel during most Winter runs.
Here is my Smittybilt fuel can holder mounted to a Bestop tire carrier, the MFC fits perfectly in the carrier.

View attachment 71390

View attachment 71391
How does the can holder actually mount to the carrier?

How does the can holder actually mount to the carrier?
1-1/4” exhaust clamps on the carrier, a piece of 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” angle bolted to the clamps and bolted to the carrier then I added a brace going to the lower tire carrier horizontal bar. I can get more pics tomorrow if you’d like

1-1/4” exhaust clamps on the carrier, a piece of 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” angle bolted to the clamps and bolted to the carrier then I added a brace going to the lower tire carrier horizontal bar. I can get more pics tomorrow if you’d like
Would really appreciate a closeup pick. I would love to hang a water can from my 45 degree carrier, if it can be done cheaply. You seem to have done it!

We go wheeling on Fridays with a full tank of fuel. That day is the sabbath here and the outlying gas stations are sparse. On average, we finish with about a 1/4 of a tank. Deep sand and tall dunes suck a tank dry pretty quick. If we camp and try to get in more sand time, I will feel better carrying extra fuel. I always carry more water and food then I think I will need as well. I like a couple of the mounting options I saw, and will rig something up.

The link i posted at the start is for a side mounted, removable, frame mounted can mount. I like the fact that it is removable, and frame supported.

Reactions: Flivver250