Moving Axles Around in the Garage

FarFire70

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Having recently pulled out the Dana 30 and Dana 44 to clean up and repaint, I'm looking for advice on how folks are getting axles around the garage floor. I used 2 3-ton jacks together to get both out.

It worked but it was far from perfect. Seeing folks here dragging around much larger axles, I'm curious if there's better options to get the axles around, especially after I spend the time to paint them (don't want to scratch up a new paint job).

I'm pretty much in a 1 person operation when moving them around. The wife's willing to help when needed but its typically just me moving them around. The shifting weight of the pinion and finding good jack points made the 2 jack system be workable but a little sketchy at times. (Dana 30 slid down the jacks like it was sledding...)

Been thinking something simple like a furniture dolly may be an option to get them back under the Jeep but looking for ideas to simplify this process.

A couple of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YHENVI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Screenshot_20210315-204059_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Put your wheels back on them and they are much easier to move around. Plus you don’t have to climb over the wheels if they were bolted up.

Reactions: qslim
Put your wheels back on them and they are much easier to move around. Plus you don’t have to climb over the wheels if they were bolted up.
LOL! Thought I was a genius when I thought of this when removing the rear. Then I jacked it up to the level that would be needed for the tire to go on and realized it would have been too high to clear the gas tank. :foreheadslap:

• Haha
Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
LOL! Thought I was a genius when I thought of this when removing the rear. Then I jacked it up to the level that would be needed for the tire to go on and realized it would have been too high to clear the gas tank. :foreheadslap:
Lucky for you they can be bolted on after you pulled it!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FarFire70
Was figuring a furniture dolly was a good idea. Maybe some added blocks to be sure the jack can get under it. Thanks for those confirming that I wasn't in left field on ideas.

Being as I have 3-4 feet of clearance on either side of the Jeep, it's helpful to have tips to help move things around it. The double jacks on an axle worked but was a pain and more time intensive than preferred. I also have old parts on the floor beside the Jeep for the jack to catch on that were an added fun obstacle for the jacks to clear....

I like the trans jack idea better but when I was building mine I strapped it to jack stands and the dollies underneath. Painted it while on them too. The bigger wood dollies like posted above would probably be a little more stable.

IMG_20191227_133127763.jpg

i made this thing up. a length of 6" channel, a couple scraps of tube and a couple scraps of angle. i made a couple dolly boards with cheap HF casters and those go on and off depending on whether it needs to roll or remain stationary.

sometimes i get lazy and lay a few boards across my creeper and just drop it on there to move it out of the way.

118836884_320447015703770_1932649381480125339_n.jpg

I currently have a Rubi Dana 44, Dana 30, and a 12 Bolt early Camaro/Nova rear on 3 sets of HF dollies. They fit nicely underneath the the LJ and are easy to move around. Generally, you need to add a 2x4 block, to prevent the rotors from dragging.

Furnitue dollies work great. When I do suspension work I build a cradle to position the axle at ride height and proper pinion angle. Helps a lot with the setup, and makes them very mobile.

1B63E0C5-24C6-47D1-8935-23BAC3EBA87E.jpeg

I just built a 14 bolt using this approach, and even with that heavy beast the furniture dolly handled the weight just fine.

Last edited:
I feel like I use furniture dollies for everything BUT furniture!

IMG_8805.JPG

IMG_0356.jpg

I have a couple pieces of plywood and 4"x4" that sits perfect between the runners (the pieces without carpet) for when I need to keep something from falling through or adjust the height. I recently got a set of Pittsburgh/HF car dollies and those things are amazing as well.

IMG_2145.JPG

For moving axles from garage to side yard, I have a set of rollers for just that purpose...
IMG_8652.JPG

Reactions: FarFire70 and Irun