Moving BACK to the PNW

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This time for good though :D

We took a trip over to Oregon a couple weeks ago just to get away for a few and for fun we checked out a few houses. Before I knew it my wife had found out that the work she does had an opening in Tillamook, she applied, interviewed, and was hired in the blink of an eye. Next thing we know, were making an offer on some amazing mountainous forested coastal property and it has just been accepted! I put in my notice of voluntary separation from the hospital I work at today and we should be leaving here by the end of the month. Insane!

Lol yeah a little over a year ago. We've lived here for about 5 years prior to that even though, we've lived all over the place even in other countries. No stranger to moving thats for sure. But this is the first time were buying a home so thats saying something about the area. Love the coastline of the PNW, this most recent trip back was amazing and I think it made us realize just how much we wanted to make this happen.

Picture of where you're moving to?
We're moving to this area right down there in that coastal forest, its between Pacific City and Lincoln City. It all borders some huge nature preserve too so its nice to have all this access so close to home. The kayaking, fishing, hiking, and beach exploration is top notch here. There are great schools here for my daughter and for me it'll be midway between a couple cities with hospitals for work. The Jeeping here is mainly forest roads and sand dunes with the Siuslaw National Forest, some beach access at Sand Lake and then theres the Tillamook State Forest nearby too with all the wheeling they have at Brown's Camp. Thats basically just whats in close proximity without having to branch out too far. I'm really excited for this move.

Cascade Head OR.jpg

Gorgeous area! We were just there a few weekends ago and frequently go to the Oregon coast.

What is your wife doing for work out there? I always wondered what people do for work at the coast, as it's not like the job market is booming.

Reactions: EJD
Gorgeous area! We were just there a few weekends ago and frequently go to the Oregon coast.

What is your wife doing for work out there? I always wondered what people do for work at the coast, as it's not like the job market is booming.
Yeah the OR coast is so beautiful, where'd you go on the coast usually?, and hey we'll practically be neighbors! Lol. I love that we'll be an hour or so from the aquarium in Newport too, ever take the kids there?

My wife will be working in Tillamook with Oregon's DSHS. She tends to fill the gap where the world of social work meets mental health. I work in a hospital pharmacy setting as a person who compounds IV medications. I don't yet have work lined up but as long as I am in proximity of some hospitals i'm good, it'll happen.

Seriously though work does tend to be very specific on the coast though, which is why its so temping to want to move there but it's like how do you make it work. We always said that if the right job offer came along ever we would jump on it, and it did. :)

Yeah the OR coast is so beautiful, where'd you go on the coast usually?, and hey we'll practically be neighbors! Lol. I love that we'll be an hour or so from the aquarium in Newport too, ever take the kids there?

My wife will be working in Tillamook with Oregon's DSHS. She tends to fill the gap where the world of social work meets mental health. I work in a hospital pharmacy setting as a person who compounds IV medications. I don't yet have work lined up but as long as I am in proximity of some hospitals i'm good, it'll happen.

Seriously though work does tend to be very specific on the coast though, which is why its so temping to want to move there but it's like how do you make it work. We always said that if the right job offer came along ever we would jump on it, and it did. :)
DSHS?

We usually go to Neskowin, Lincoln City, Newport, Seaside, or Cannon Beach. But it seems like we're always driving through Tillamook on the way to one of these places.

We take our kids to the Newport Aquariam usually a few times a year. It's a pretty cool place for being on the coast, and Newport is a cool beach town for sure (with nice beaches too).

We were in Rockaway beach a few weekends ago and I was looking at beach properties posted on the wall of this reality building. I noticed they were cheaper than I had imagined they would be. However, I suppose that makes sense, as like I said, it's not like most people can just up and move to the coast. Good paying jobs aren't that common on the coast, so unless you have a speciality role to fill (like your wife) or have money to retire, then it's certainly not going to be like the California coast!

When are you guys making the move?

We usually go to Neskowin, Lincoln City, Newport, Seaside, or Cannon Beach. But it seems like we're always driving through Tillamook on the way to one of these places.

We take our kids to the Newport Aquariam usually a few times a year. It's a pretty cool place for being on the coast, and Newport is a cool beach town for sure (with nice beaches too).

We were in Rockaway beach a few weekends ago and I was looking at beach properties posted on the wall of this reality building. I noticed they were cheaper than I had imagined they would be. However, I suppose that makes sense, as like I said, it's not like most people can just up and move to the coast. Good paying jobs aren't that common on the coast, so unless you have a speciality role to fill (like your wife) or have money to retire, then it's certainly not going to be like the California coast!

When are you guys making the move?
Yeah thats awesome, we've been to those places as well and they are what keeps us coming back! We also went to the Oregon Zoo in portland a few weeks ago and it was pretty great. The parking on the other hand was a nightmare!

We're moving at the end of the month, wife needs to start work on Oct. 1st which is before our house will be finalized so we're staying in an AirBNB for 1 month in Tillamook then we should be able to just move from there.

Exactly but in this case its Oregon not Washington.

Reactions: JMT
Yeah thats awesome, we've been to those places as well and they are what keeps us coming back! We also went to the Oregon Zoo in portland a few weeks ago and it was pretty great. The parking on the other hand was a nightmare!

We're moving at the end of the month, wife needs to start work on Oct. 1st which is before our house will be finalized so we're staying in an AirBNB for 1 month in Tillamook then we should be able to just move from there.

Exactly but in this case its Oregon not Washington.

Gotta love AirBnB! We use them every time we go on vacation these days.

The Oregon Zoo is great, but it's not worth going unless you either get there right when they open (to get a parking spot), or take the Max there ;)

You'll definitely love the Oregon coast for sure.

The Oregon Zoo is great, but it's not worth going unless you either get there right when they open (to get a parking spot), or take the Max there ;)
Haha we learned that the hard way. Seems like they have quite a number of exhibits coming next year too so we'll definitely be going back, and planning accordingly!

Haha we learned that the hard way. Seems like they have quite a number of exhibits coming next year too so we'll definitely be going back, and planning accordingly!

Yes, most of the new stuff is opening next year. I've watched that zoo evolve quite a bit since I was a kid.

Congradulations @EJD, the north coast is very cool. Grew up there part time in the '60'S and early '70's. You'll love the outdoor activities and the wheeling. Hunt, fish, wheel, hike, camp...

One word of caution though, the weather can be dismal for extended periods on that part of the coast. Get used to being damp. Some people just can't deal with all the gray, all the time.

Used to love the farm reports on KTIL am radio. The Fern in Tillamook used to be a great place to eat and hang out.

Happy for you @EJD, only sad part for me is I won't be able to follow your lead in Montana on any trails. :(

So far we love Spokane, but the wheelin here isn't great. Not much more than a few hill climbs. Maybe if I branch out toward ID and MT I will find some. Need a great map or a great veteran to find my way.

Happy for you @EJD, only sad part for me is I won't be able to follow your lead in Montana on any trails. :(

So far we love Spokane, but the wheelin here isn't great. Not much more than a few hill climbs. Maybe if I branch out toward ID and MT I will find some. Need a great map or a great veteran to find my way.
I have to say I could absolutely point you in the right direction for any trips to the east of you, but hey we'll still be neighbors, maybe I can talk you into a trip over to the Tillamook State Forest where there are 2 Jeep Badge of Honor trails, look into it. I'll be like 5-6 hours to your west basically.

Reactions: JMT
I have to say I could absolutely point you in the right direction for any trips to the east of you, but hey we'll still be neighbors, maybe I can talk you into a trip over to the Tillamook State Forest where there are 2 Jeep Badge of Honor trails, look into it. I'll be like 5-6 hours to your west basically.
Geez, you’re like all around me, east, west, I can’t keep up. I just moved and I don’t have the fluidity of movement you do. A month out from moving I was in the torrents of hell getting packed. Of course, we have 5 kids, so maybe that explains some of it. At any rate, I’m sure I will want to go west too, but things have to calm down, too much going on now with new job, new house, projects, et. Al. I wish I could break away but I don’t see it happening.

Congradulations @EJD, the north coast is very cool. Grew up there part time in the '60'S and early '70's. You'll love the outdoor activities and the wheeling. Hunt, fish, wheel, hike, camp...

One word of caution though, the weather can be dismal for extended periods on that part of the coast. Get used to being damp. Some people just can't deal with all the gray, all the time.

Used to love the farm reports on KTIL am radio. The Fern in Tillamook used to be a great place to eat and hang out.
Thanks man! We have lived in coastal WA before so we have an idea of the gloominess in store. Plus I just bought a new rain jacket for myself and my Jeep!

Geez, you’re like all around me, east, west, I can’t keep up. I just moved and I don’t have the fluidity of movement you do. A month out from moving I was in the torrents of hell getting packed. Of course, we have 5 kids, so maybe that explains some of it. At any rate, I’m sure I will want to go west too, but things have to calm down, too much going on now with new job, new house, projects, et. Al. I wish I could break away but I don’t see it happening.
All in good time my friend!