Moving lower control arm mount point and anti-squat question

Gift rules according to DHL

Who doesn’t love to receive a gift from a loved one or family member?

Customer regulations around the receipt of gifts in South Africa are very clear and we strongly recommend reading through this article to get a better understanding prior to receiving your gift. DHL has noticed increasing numbers of residents in South Africa who are receiving gifts and unexpectedly had to pay money to SARS to clear the item through customs so we hope you find this information useful to avoid any unanticipated surprises.

• A gift which meets the conditions and limits set out by SARS can be imported and cleared through customs without the payment of duties and taxes. The conditions which need to be in place to classify a shipment as a gift are described here.
  • The gift must be accompanied by a commercial invoice on which it should be clearly stated that the items contained within are a gift. The description of gifts, along with the description of contents should also be clearly stated on the accompanying waybill.
  • The total value should also be stated on the invoice for each item within the package as well as a clear description of all the contents. If the contents are described as ‘baby clothes,’ value 15USD for example, this is likely to cause delays. The description should state baby pyjamas x 1 value 8USD and on a separate line baby shoes pair x 1 value 7USD.
  • The total value of the gift cannot exceed R1400.00 (or approximately USD90.00, rate of exchange dependent). If the shipment value is above R1400 duties and taxes will be payable for the entire value of the items, not just the amount over R1400.
  • The importation of gifts cannot exceed 2 parcels per calendar year per person. In other words, a person cannot import gift more than twice in a year where the value does not exceed R1400.00.
Therefore, if any one of these conditions are not met, then the importer is obliged to pay the full rates of duty applicable for the product contained in the package.

https://dhlguide.co.za/useful-information-post/receiving-a-gift-from-overseas/

Last edited:
Weight wise. Stock rear bumper, steel front. and that's pretty much it. No winch or any other armor. Standard tailgate carrying the 33 (I know. One day I'll do a basic rear bumper and swingout)

Hard top now and then and I have the back seats in but I doubt that counts.
Let's see if we can figure out a few things first before you start cutting up control arms mounts. Is there a difference in how it rides when the hard top is on versus when it is off?

What is the shaft bias on the shocks? Or put another way, how much shaft is showing at ride height on reasonably level ground? Don't guess, if you have boots, pull them down to accurately measure. Or pull a shock, remove the boot and reinstall the shock to find out.

If if rides better with the hard top, what happens when you add a 100 lbs of weight inside the rig right in front of the tailgate? (assuming shock bias is reasonable)
Import duties are kinda vague when it comes to "gifts" but usually you do still have to pay. What did you have in mind? I'm open to buying shocks if I know they're gonna help, and be the correct length etc.

Stuff that is available on Amazon I can buy but have to use DHL/UPS because our domestic post office is entirely useless. Like stuff just gets stolen or never arrives.
If you have to pay duty on gifts, that's pretty fucked up. My work around involves you sending money to a trusted forum member who is closest to the jump off shipping point to SA. They get the parts you need and package them up to ship to SA. I can then send them shipping labels after we get size and weights using our special shipping rates. But, I'm not going to do that if you have to pay duty on gifts because that irritates me so much I would just be pissed off about it.

Gift rules according to DHL

Who doesn’t love to receive a gift from a loved one or family member?

Customer regulations around the receipt of gifts in South Africa are very clear and we strongly recommend reading through this article to get a better understanding prior to receiving your gift. DHL has noticed increasing numbers of residents in South Africa who are receiving gifts and unexpectedly had to pay money to SARS to clear the item through customs so we hope you find this information useful to avoid any unanticipated surprises.

• A gift which meets the conditions and limits set out by SARS can be imported and cleared through customs without the payment of duties and taxes. The conditions which need to be in place to classify a shipment as a gift are described here.
  • The gift must be accompanied by a commercial invoice on which it should be clearly stated that the items contained within are a gift. The description of gifts, along with the description of contents should also be clearly stated on the accompanying waybill.
  • The total value should also be stated on the invoice for each item within the package as well as a clear description of all the contents. If the contents are described as ‘baby clothes,’ value 15USD for example, this is likely to cause delays. The description should state baby pyjamas x 1 value 8USD and on a separate line baby shoes pair x 1 value 7USD.
  • The total value of the gift cannot exceed R1400.00 (or approximately USD90.00, rate of exchange dependent). If the shipment value is above R1400 duties and taxes will be payable for the entire value of the items, not just the amount over R1400.
  • The importation of gifts cannot exceed 2 parcels per calendar year per person. In other words, a person cannot import gift more than twice in a year where the value does not exceed R1400.00.
Therefore, if any one of these conditions are not met, then the importer is obliged to pay the full rates of duty applicable for the product contained in the package.

https://dhlguide.co.za/useful-information-post/receiving-a-gift-from-overseas/

I didn't have an opinion about SA before other than some fond memories of nice folks I've met from there but that is just fucked up.

I didn't have an opinion about SA before other than some fond memories of nice folks I've met from there but that is just fucked up.

Yeh it's pain in the ass but it is what it is. I think they're trying to protect local industry but nothing decent is made here haha (although Frontrunner started here I think?)
(EDIT: Motorcycle parts are duty free because they aren't made here, but mislabelling things intentionally can get both sides in shit.)

I can get full measurements next week on the shocks. I can't remember the part numbers offhand. Doesn't seem to ride much better with the hardtop, but it's been a while since I've had it on. What shocks do you supply? Or am I getting the story wrong here?

Last edited:
I don't supply or sell shocks. Just trying to get creative, albeit poorly at this point.

OK I managed to do some measuring.

Front (Bilstein 24-188197)
Bilsteins spec:
Full extended 625,2mm (25inches)
Collapsed 380mm (15.2inches)

At ride height:
Eye to Eye ~550mm (22inches)
visible shaft ~ 140mm5.6inches

Rear (33-185514)
Bilstein spec:
Extended 635mm (25inches)
Collapsed 391.5mm (15,41inches)

At Ride Height:
Eye to Eye ~530mm (21,2inches)
visible shaft ~ 120mm (4.8inches)

So it seems at ride height they're pretty close to being in the centre of the travel/stoke of the shock. I think we have an importer for Ranco shcks here now. Any part numbers I can check out on those?

(Also thanks very much for the help, it is very much appreciated.)

So its purpose is to change the anti squat and only that. Even if that was the only case to it’s improvement, why is it still hated? It’s obviously not fixing things like the mid arm does but it’s still an improvement so why not try it?

So its purpose is to change the anti squat and only that. Even if that was the only case to it’s improvement, why is it still hated? It’s obviously not fixing things like the mid arm does but it’s still an improvement so why not try it?

You won’t notice any difference just moving one bolt. Not worth the effort. The GC is significantly more effort to move mount locations for a short arm and not worth the effort for most.

Reactions: The4bangertj
You won’t notice any difference just moving one bolt. Not worth the effort. The GC is significantly more effort to move mount locations for a short arm and not worth the effort for most.

Just trying to improve the ride a bit.

I was thinking of maybe going Mid-Arm and just buying the brackets as I have my own links I could lengthen....But RHD. So the front becomes a big problem.

Just trying to improve the ride a bit.

I was thinking of maybe going Mid-Arm and just buying the brackets as I have my own links I could lengthen....But RHD. So the front becomes a big problem.

The Geo Correction brackets were originally known as the Handling Improvement Kit. They basically improve onroad handling.

However, shocks are a major player too, as well as a firm sway bar like the SwayLoc or stock bar, and proper tire pressure.

As you can see, ride quality is a multifaceted issue. Each change will make an improvement, with shocks leading the way. But realize that to get those top tier shocks you have to do a whole lot more.

I’d go this route: tire pressure, SwayLoc, then run a basic shock people here like and decide if you want to go further into GC or a midarm, then outboard and tuned shocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhawg011