Mr. B's post on how to dress a winch...

macleanflood

I break sh!t
Supporting Member
Trying to find Mr. B's post on how to dress a winch... synthetic rope...slip knot with the tail tied.

It ought to be pinned to the front of this section.

-Mac

P.S. did find this pic from Jerry...

294540-23388c77712650bc8c7f08d68e24e420.jpg

I just rewrapped mine using the brummel.
I like that it secures the rope to the drum.
However, this creates a rope to rope connection with no proper radius. Essentially, folding the rope in half twice. Guessing it's not a big deal since there probably won't ever be much load on it.

Hopefully Jerry has eliminated the steel tab and screw from the drum to avoid chewing up the rope.

It doesn't mess it up. That is the anchor from a TRE rope. Works just fine but still depends on the little screw into the side of the drum to keep the line on the drum. I came up with that design for TRE and while it works fine, it doesn't prevent the line from coming off of the drum if you spool it out all the way accidentally.

Reactions: Zorba and jjvw
I just rewrapped mine using the brummel.
I like that it secures the rope to the drum.
However, this creates a rope to rope connection with no proper radius. Essentially, folding the rope in half twice. Guessing it's not a big deal since there probably won't ever be much load on it.

It is far from ideal. The only way for it to be ideal is to use a thimble of some sort to maintain the minimum radius for full strength of the line. I'm glad to send one over if you want to install it and then try to bury it under all the line on the drum.

Or, perhaps we just accept that it is less than ideal but far more ideal that depending on that little screw in the side of the drum to keep the line attached in case we do something dumb.

Reactions: LONGJP2
If you have a steel drum I like to weld a piece of solid shaft across at an angle and tie the rope to it. With alum drum I drill and tap for a bolt and use a battery cable end on the rope and run the line across the winch once. Ive also drilled and tapped twice and bolted a u joint girdle on there and slipped the rope thru and tied it off with success.. the tape only method has let my line spin on the drum and burned the first two wraps of my line a few times.

AD1C973E-423D-4DB1-89DB-0D00C944DED7.jpeg

Last edited: