Mucket seals: what holds them on?

GaTechTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So, I'm putting new seals on my hard top tomorrow. I've got the kit with all the seals. I was also missing the musket seals on both sides. I plan to replace them tomorrow as well. I realized I don't know how they attach. I don't have any to go by. Are they glued on, is there a screw that I'm also missing that holds them on, or do they just wedge between the two surfaces? I'm hoping someone can tell me before I start my project in the morning. Thanks in advance.

So, I'm putting new seals on my hard top tomorrow. I've got the kit with all the seals. I was also missing the musket seals on both sides. I plan to replace them tomorrow as well. I realized I don't know how they attach. I don't have any to go by. Are they glued on, is there a screw that I'm also missing that holds them on, or do they just wedge between the two surfaces? I'm hoping someone can tell me before I start my project in the morning. Thanks in advance.
They are form fit around the tub rail and typically don't fall off.

The Bestop instructions that came with my Supertop NX soft top said to remove them. I did and threw them in my spare Jeep parts box. The bestop door surrounds have a foam piece on the bottom.

No issues here.

Maybe that explains my gap. I thought they were only for the soft top, so I took them off.
20200120_115626.jpg

20200120_115633.jpg

If you look under the hardtop, you'll see an indention for the thickness of the seal.
They do typically hold themselves on (without the rivet). However, to reduce the risk of losing one, I remove them when the top is off.

Well, I guess i'll put them back on then. Kinda figured something was supposed to be there, but my 2 minute online search before rushing to buy and install the hard top didn't reveal anything about keeping them. Only that they were needed for the soft top. Not a big deal.

The Bestop instructions that came with my Supertop NX soft top said to remove them. I did and threw them in my spare Jeep parts box. The bestop door surrounds have a foam piece on the bottom.

No issues here.
I have the same top and I removed mine and gave them to a friend in need. Hmmm, I now have a gap and rattling of my door surrounds. The foam does nothing for mine. Guess I need to order new ones. Anyone have an idea where to order the best quality ones besides flea-bay? I've seen them on extreme terrain but not sure of the quality.

I used double sided tape and stuck mine to the door surrounds. When I install the door surrounds, I press down on the seal to attach it to the tub. No issues yet.

Glad I stumbled across this. My bestop instructions said remove the mucket seals as well and I did. It has been rattling for a while just enough to bug me, but not enough for me to remember to fix after I get out. I just put them back in and they fit perfect with the bestop surrounds and no more rattle. I wonder why they say to remove them?

On a side note, maybe it's because I didn't get oem ones, but my seals definitely will not stay in place long without something holding them there. Gonna weatherstripping adhesive on them when I go back to the hard top.