Mud and snow near the Pumice mines

97TJNM

High Desert Redneck
Supporting Member
I was texting with @WHBNM a couple weeks back and told him that I heard of some wheeling prospects near some pumice mines. He said that he knew where I was talking about, that the Pumice mines were on Pueblo land, but there was some pretty trails out that way. Nothing technical, but worth a good couple hours of getting out in on the mesas and ridgelines.
20230211_135227(0).jpg

We met up yesterday around 10am with my wife and his son tagging along. It was cold on the way in, with snow on the ground.
20230211_105818.jpg

We climbed up to the mesa tops and began exploring. We found a couple areas to flex our rigs a bit, but it was mostly just trail riding and taking in the scenery.
20230211_103753.jpg

We did see some cool caves with petroglyphs about 3/4 of a mile off trail. It was windy and cold, so we figured maybe when it warms up a bit it would be worth hiking over to bet a better look, but it wasn't in the cards today. (And I do mean just a look. We aren't interested in trespassing on what may be an important site to the Pueblo.)
20230211_103653.jpg

It is really cool how the ecosystem changes on the mesas. We went from high desert plains to alpine forest in just a couple of miles. There was a lot of snow in the forest, and by the time we left, the mesa top had warmed up and turned into a mud pit.
20230211_114617.jpg

It was a fun morning exploring and hanging out. We decided to get together and plan if the 2024 TJ Fest is in the cards for us. We both have similarly built rigs and about the same tolerance for wheeling. We agree we'd like to do more technical stuff than what is available around here, but neither of us in interested in breaking our rigs. It would be fun if we are able to pull it off.
20230211_135224.jpg

Anyway, it was a good day yesterday!

20230211_110112.jpg

20230211_121538.jpg

I'm glad you that you threw a post up. So many people think NM is desolate and boring desert. We live at such a transition of high desert and mesa to alpine ecosystems. There aren't too many places like it. It was great to get out with you guys!

I'm glad you that you threw a post up. So many people think NM is desolate and boring desert. We live at such a transition of high desert and mesa to alpine ecosystems. There aren't too many places like it. It was great to get out with you guys!

You took some great pics! Makes my camera skills look like hot garbage.😆