Mud terrain tire that's good in the snow and rain?

Alex M.

Supporting Member
Does it exist? A mud terrain tire that's good in both the mud, snow, and ice? Most of the reviews I read about mud terrain tires rate them as being only 'okay' in the snow as well as the rain.

I'd like something that is good in the rain (it rains a ton in Washington) and can handle the snow just as good as an all terrain tire.

Am I dreaming?

MTs are the worst tires in snow.

A snow tire needs a fine tread and lots of sipes. Snow traction is all about packing the tread with snow which then sticks to the snow as you roll forward. A MT is like a slick on snow.

Yep, I don't think it's possible to have the best of both worlds. For me I settled with a Duratrac which is a nice all terrain tire and does pretty good in just about any sort of terrain.

I have had the duratracs
285/75/16 e rated (10 ply) they are a m+s rated tire that are siped from the factory. I have run these tires for three years now with a warranty. Have not had to use it. I run in rain snow rocks mud. The people I run with are suprised where these tire go and do. I do not hesitate to drop the air pressure down to 8 psi and run trails and if no air have run down the highway at 50-55 with no problems. Tread is 60-65%. They are very quiet even with no top. Highly recommend them

Reactions: Chris
I have had the duratracs
285/75/16 e rated (10 ply) they are a m+s rated tire that are siped from the factory. I have run these tires for three years now with a warranty. Have not had to use it. I run in rain snow rocks mud. The people I run with are suprised where these tire go and do. I do not hesitate to drop the air pressure down to 8 psi and run trails and if no air have run down the highway at 50-55 with no problems. Tread is 60-65%. They are very quiet even with no top. Highly recommend them

That's awesome to hear. I run the Duratracs as well and have never had an issue even in some tough shit.

@Jeff Allan might like to hear this.

I really want a C load this time around. The Duratracs E's from 2-3 years ago, were 3 ply sidewalls. Seems they cheaped out on them and for past couple years, have been making even the E's in a 2 ply side. Last week, when I bought my KO2s, they had a Duratrac next to it, and the side was really thin compared to the KO2. It was very flimsy and I felt good going with the KO2 because it looked and felt so much stronger. Those are E loads, and to be fair, the KO2 C load is said to be 2 ply. But it's still a stronger side and that's super important to me.

The same thing with the Fierce Attitude (Goodyear). Few years back, everyone was reporting 3 ply sides, and now their E loads are 2 as well.