Muffler choice for 2.5

02FlameRed

Hey all, I will likely need to replace the muffler and tailpipe on my 2.5L this spring. What is the best muffler choice for the 2.5L I don't want it to sound like a ricer

Reactions: KCsTJ
I've been running a WALKER 21337 Premium Quiet-Flow SS Muffler from Rock Auto for years now. It's a direct replacement OEM style muffler.

X2 on the Walker quiet-flow. I got that and a bolt on tailpipe from Advance Auto. The old muffler had welded bolts, so those had to cut off. Once off, the ones bolted right up no problem. You will need to take the transfer case skid off. This is also a good time to change that rear O2 sensor while the muffler is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 02FlameRed
X2 on the Walker quiet-flow. I got that and a bolt on tailpipe from Advance Auto. The old muffler had welded bolts, so those had to cut off. Once off, the ones bolted right up no problem. You will need to take the transfer case skid off. This is also a good time to change that rear O2 sensor while the muffler is off. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2 on the Walker quiet-flow. I got that and a bolt on tailpipe from Advance Auto. The old muffler had welded bolts, so those had to cut off. Once off, the ones bolted right up no problem. You will need to take the transfer case skid off. This is also a good time to change that rear O2 sensor while the muffler is off. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I know this is old, but I'm interested: is there anything about the 2.5L that makes certain mufflers a better choice than the mufflers recommended in other threads on this forum?

Hi all,

I know this is old, but I'm interested: is there anything about the 2.5L that makes certain mufflers a better choice than the mufflers recommended in other threads on this forum?
Not really, the 2.5 is what it is so other then getting into different exhaust sounds. As you can see above I was running the walker but after a re-frame last year I found an all stainless oem pattern at NAPA for maybe $10 more then walker which is not all stainless

Hi all,

My 2.5 has a habit of eating mufflers (and cats) if they are not of fully welded construction. I run a Dynomax (Walker) Ultra Flo Welded but it might be a bit on the loud side for some.

Thanks. I'm new at this, so thought I'd see if I needed to keep anything in mind when shopping around for a 2.5L.

Can I at least tell myself that I might get a 1HP boost? :)

Thanks. I'm new at this, so thought I'd see if I needed to keep anything in mind when shopping around for a 2.5L.

Can I at least tell myself that I might get a 1HP boost? :)
Well you can tell yourself that but I will not promise it.

Reactions: Jack72
My 2.5L needs a tail pipe. It has the stock header, newly fabbed cat and piping back from cat to muffler but nothing past the muffler. 1) Does the tail pipe past muffler make a pretty big difference in sound dampening? 2) Does it have to be welded or can it be bolted on?

I know these are pretty fundamental questions but I know little where exhaust systems are concerned.

My 2.5L needs a tail pipe. It has the stock header, newly fabbed cat and piping back from cat to muffler but nothing past the muffler. 1) Does the tail pipe past muffler make a pretty big difference in sound dampening? 2) Does it have to be welded or can it be bolted on?

I know these are pretty fundamental questions but I know little where exhaust systems are concerned.

Hey, I know this is old, but what did you end up doing?

Hey all, I will likely need to replace the muffler and tailpipe on my 2.5L this spring. What is the best muffler choice for the 2.5L I don't want it to sound like a ricer
Take it to your local independent muffler shop and tell them what you want. They'll know what will sound like a ricer and what won't. Avoid chain muffler shops like Midas or Meineke, they have quotas to fill and will overcharge you.

Reactions: Tray Burge