Muffler fell apart after 1500 miles

TJ4FUN

Supporting Member
I bought a complete exhaust system from Jeg's about six months ago. The brand was Crown Automotive.

Jeg's Crown Exhaust

It was a bit loud, but not outrageous...I got used to it.

Well, today the baffling inside the muffler let go and it rattles around driving me crazy. SIX MONTHS and 1500 miles. Are you kidding me?

I tried to call Jeg's but their phone number doesn't work. Rings for about a minute, then busy signal thereafter. Tried about 10 times over about a 3 hour period. So, I went online to look at Jeg's reviews and they are dismal for customer service. Caveat emptor as they say...

So, not wanting to waste any more time with Jeg's, I bought a Walker 21337 Quiet-Flow stainless steel muffler. I will get it replaced next week and will let you know the results. I expect it to be quieter and last longer (hopefully).

After living with Blowmasters and them rusting and the baffles breaking loose inside/rattling on my old XJ I got a Walker Quietflow. Held up great and was nice and quiet. Slightly deeper tone than stock but not annoying, more like an OEM+ sound.

UPDATE

Well, a couple of interesting things. ..

First, I bought a new Walker muffler from Amazon and, lo and behold, it is identical in every way to the muffler that came with the Crown exhaust system, including ALL of the stampings. Interestingly, neither muffler has "Walker" stamped anywhere, but they both have "QuietFlow" stamped on them along with part numbers. I can only conclude that the Walker Quietflow muffler is what came with the Crown system.

Second, when we got the Jeep on a lift, we found that the problem wasn't the muffler after all. A hangar bracket had broken off the exhaust pipe just upstream of the cat. They rewelded the hangar bracket and all is well now.

So, I just returned the muffler to Amazon since I didn't need it.

I bought a Borla Cat back stainless with lifetime warranty 16 years ago, still doing the job.

Even after 9 years next to the ocean.

I can't wait to find out from the group why Borla bad choice lol!

Where was Crown 40 years ago when I was a kid? We tried all sorts of silly shit trying to destroy the guts of our mufflers to make them noisy. :)