Muffler Flange Question

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I'm just repeating but I think I need some advice here.

So there is NO flange on my existing Muffler setup. The Mopar replacement has a Flange on the muffler, my issue seems to be that there is not a flange on the Cat pipe to link up with.

How am I supposed to connect this new setup with the flange onto a Cat that has nothing to flange onto? Is there an flange adapter piece? or do I just slide it on but not flange it?

Its weird cause my stock muffler just has no flange. Why would the direct replacement from Mopar offer one with a flange?

Pictures might help so I can see what we're dealing with.

But from what I gather, you have a flange on the catback, but none on the pre-cats / downpipes?

Reactions: EJD

I should have thought to look there.

So if the one that's on your vehicle doesn't have a flange on it, what does it have then to connect it to the muffler?

This is an incredibly easy and cheap fix either way. Take it to any local muffler shop. They'll put it up on the rack, weld a flange on the other side, and have you in-and-out of there in 30 minutes tops. Done this before with other vehicles and it really is that easy.

My guess is the max they would charge you is $60 (probably less in all honesty).

I suggest going to a non-chain muffler shop (i.e., not Meineke). The mom and pop shops will do it faster and cheaper.

Pictures might help so I can see what we're dealing with.
Muffler_01.jpg

Muffler_02.jpg

So the 2 images above are of where the muffler meets the cat pipe, the pipe attached to the muffler goes inside the cats pipe, and simply has an exhaust clamp holding the 2 together.

The 1 image below is a shot of the new muffler w/flange. A direct Mopar replacement. Why does it come with this flange if my original does not? And how do/can I connect that flange to the cats pipe? It seems like I could hacksaw the flange off and connect it in the same fashion as my original setup, right? This seems crazy and is in fact not a direct replacement, even though the number says it is. Like there may be another part number without the flange?

Muffler_03.jpg

Maybe that's not the original exhaust. Previous owner(s) may have changed it out before. If your the original owner disregard:)

There's a difference between an "early" build and a "late" build.

Early build muffler.JPG

Late build muffler.JPG

This latter picture shows the 4 cyl but the 6 has the same flange connection. Not sure of the cut-over.

Reactions: JMT and EJD
There's a difference between an "early" build and a "late" build.
Oh, wow. Is there any chance you have the part number of the early build?

I just looked up the part number from this muffler and there is a "note attached" which says (01/24/00-2006).
Mine is a 2000 but was built in 11/1999. Does that mean there is another version prior 97-00 that would be without the flange like in your 1st image?