Muffler Heat

If I'm not mistaken, my '98 has an aluminum heat shield above the muffler. No rust, but the mounting points were cracking.

I took a peek under a early model wrangler parked in my neighborhood and it has a heat shield attached to the body above the muffler like yours. Mine does not and doesn't have any attachment points either, probably got removed when I replaced the floor pans.

Found this YJ heat shield that looks very similar to what I saw, cannot find a TJ version but I could probably make this work. Or I could go with the shield that straps on the muffler (linked above) but I dont know if that would work as well. Does the link below look like what you have?

YJ Heat shield

Also considering this, its bigger and I could trim/bend it to make it fit, also cheaper.
JK heat shield

I took a peek under a early model wrangler parked in my neighborhood and it has a heat shield attached to the body above the muffler like yours. Mine does not and doesn't have any attachment points either, probably got removed when I replaced the floor pans.

Found this YJ heat shield that looks very similar to what I saw, cannot find a TJ version but I could probably make this work. Or I could go with the shield that straps on the muffler (linked above) but I dont know if that would work as well. Does the link below look like what you have?

YJ Heat shield

Also considering this, its bigger and I could trim/bend it to make it fit, also cheaper.
JK heat shield

These are the two I have. Both are discontinued items, and I've not been able to find an aftermarket replacement. Looks like you just might have to get creative with modifying something else, or try to source a used one.

1589999473941.png

These are the two I have. Both are discontinued items, and I've not been able to find an aftermarket replacement. Looks like you just might have to get creative with modifying something else, or try to source a used one.

View attachment 162914
Thank you for this, I ordered the JK one as its bigger and I think I can trim it to fit. WIll have to get creative, plus its cheap so if I need to order the one that straps on to the muffler as well its not a big deal.

Reactions: Squatch
From what I can see you need to add a heat shield & lower the muffler so there is more clearance between it and the floor (it looks like it is touching the floor or close).

Agree on the shield, the photos might be a bit deceiving there is quite a bit of room between the muffler and the floor, it should be the same as the stock distance as I am using stock body mounts and the stock skid and stock muffler mounting points.

Reactions: Fouledplugs