Musings On The Jeep Wave

jrcotner

Supporting Member
I recently sold my 2000 F-350, and the '05 Rubicon has become my daily driver. Now every time I hit the road I get the Jeep wave. But when I drive my '46 CJ2a I never get the Jeep wave, only the occasional "Hey, that's cool" or something of that sort. I only irregularly drive my wife's '12 Wrangler Unlimited and never take notice. I asked my wife if she gets the Jeep wave, and she says she does, but is anti-Jeep wave and ignores them. I'm agnostic on the subject of the Jeep wave but grew up in the country, where if someone waves at you on the road you wave back. The missus grew up in the city and thinks every gesture is potentially hostile and goes into a defensive crouch,.

I admit, when you park the '46 CJ next to the '05 Rubicon they don't look alike, but there is a family resemblance. So what's the deal, do most current Jeep drivers not even recognize an early CJ as a Jeep, thinking it is a side-by-side or UTV?

I recently sold my 2000 F-350, and the '05 Rubicon has become my daily driver. Now every time I hit the road I get the Jeep wave. But when I drive my '46 CJ2a I never get the Jeep wave, only the occasional "Hey, that's cool" or something of that sort. I only irregularly drive my wife's '12 Wrangler Unlimited and never take notice. I asked my wife if she gets the Jeep wave, and she says she does, but is anti-Jeep wave and ignores them. I'm agnostic on the subject of the Jeep wave but grew up in the country, where if someone waves at you on the road you wave back. The missus grew up in the city and thinks every gesture is potentially hostile and goes into a defensive crouch,.

I admit, when you park the '46 CJ next to the '05 Rubicon they don't look alike, but there is a family resemblance. So what's the deal, do most current Jeep drivers not even recognize an early CJ as a Jeep, thinking it is a side-by-side or UTV?

I will wave at every Jeep I see and have for years, let me rephrase that. I wave at CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, JK's, JL's and gladiators. Some wave back and some don't. Seems more of the JK's and up are less likely to wave back.

I wave at CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, JK's, JL's and gladiators. Some wave back and some don't. Seems more of the JK's and up are less likely to wave back.

I do the same thing, with the addition of lifted XJs. People driving stock XJs are usually grannies. I quit waving at yuppie JK owners (unless they wave first). 🥶

Last edited:
I wave at most, there are a couple that I see twice a day that never wave back so I ignore them, the JKs with the ducks lining the dash always wave
We have LOTS of jeeps up here so there are plenty of opportunities to practice the wave

Been riding motorcycles all my life so the wave thing doesn't freak me out

Last edited:
Reactions: TJJeep4Sale and JMT
The "wave thing" is not solely a Jeep thing, it's common among people that share nearly any common interest. When I was into sports cars in the late 60's and 70's I learned that sports car drivers wave to each other. Corvette owners, Bronco owners, Zuke (Suzuki) owners, Harley people, bikers, pilots on the taxiways, balloonists, you name it. If there's a common interest among people they love to acknowledge it to others that have the same interest. I even had a guy next to me at a stop light wave since we were both driving a Genesis. I thought that was unusual for such a common car but I still waved back lol.

The "wave thing" is not solely a Jeep thing, it's common among people that share an interest. When I was into sports cars in the late 60's and 70's I learned that sports car drivers wave to each other. Corvette owners, Bronco owners, Zuke (Suzuki) owners, Harley people, bikers, pilots on the taxiways, balloonists, you name it. If there's a common interest among people they love to acknowledge it to others that have the same interest. I even had a guy next to me at a stop light wave since we were both driving a Genesis. I thought that was unusual for such a common car but I still waved back lol.

Yup. The Common Interest thing.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The "wave thing" is not solely a Jeep thing, it's common among people that share nearly any common interest.

So true, but it can get you into trouble. I used to cruise the big city streets and wave to young women on the corners late at night. They would wave back and come up to my window to "chat". I got arrested for just being friendly. I know we had a common interest. 🤫
1655565316320.png

Last edited:
I remember growing up my dad always doing the Jeep wave. Now that I’ve had my own Jeep (3 months) and live in a small town, I find I’m waving to the same Jeeps multiple times a day. Especially when there’s at least 3 others who drop their kids of at the elementary as mine. It’s a positive little action in my mind.

Also, in my experience the owners of stock JKU with paint matched tops never wave. I figure they’re just SUV people.

Because Rules!

WARNING:

Owning, registering, insuring, or driving a Jeep implies knowledge of and intent to abide by the following rules, regulations, and guidelines. Failure to obey the letter or spirit of the rules may result in your being ignored by other Jeep owners as you sit along the side of the road next to your stalled vehicle in a blizzard surrounded by Saturns, Yugos, and Hyundais.

Definition:

The Jeep Wave
: An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle, the Jeep. Generally consists of vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette. Examples of commonly accepted modifications:

• Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub
  • Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel
  • Southern/rural locations: Raise fingers from steering wheel, nod.
......It's not what you buy, it's what you build and what you do with it.......

In keeping with this cardinal rule of Jeeping, categories have been established to account for each part of the equation.

• The General Rules.
  • The Jeep Waving Hierarchy: Based on the vehicle itself. Takes into account the nostalgia factor, the discomfort tolerance quotient, and the amount of owner dedication required to maintain the steed.
  • The Modifying Sub-categories: Based on what you do with your Jeep.
  • Equipment Adjustments: What you build.

General Rules:

1. All Jeepers are responsible for upholding the tradition of the Wave. Upon contact with a higher scoring Jeep, a Jeeper is required to initiate the Wave, and continue the Wave until:

• The Wave is returned
  • The Wave is blatantly disregarded
  • The higher scoring vehicle has passed by and is out of sight
2. All Jeepers are required to return the Wave, unless the initiating vehicle is clearly has a negative (below 0) score.

3. All Jeepers are encouraged, but not required, to return the Wave to negative balance vehicles, and take any opportunity presented to guide and mentor them about their responsibilities to their Jeeps in the hopes that they can correct the error of their ways.

4. When unsure of status or wave requirements of a particular encounter or unable to completely assess the other Jeep's score quickly enough to ensure that the proper Jeep Wave Etiquette rules are followed, immediately initiate wave.

.The Jeep Waving Hierarchy (JWH):......

Category A - Pre-CJ: 30

Category B - Pre-AMC CJ: 27

Category C - Other CJ: 25

Category D - Commando: Dana 20

Category E - YJ: 16

Category F - TJ: 15

Category G - Cherokee, Wagoneer: 10

Category H - All other Jeeps: 5

Category I - All other 4WD vehicles EXCEPT yuppie Explorers: 0

Category J - All other vehicles

.The Modifying Sub-Categories (MSCs):

(What you do with it)

1. MSCs must be considered during all Jeep encounters, and wave patterns must be adjusted accordingly.

2. MSC 5 is the median - the accepted norm.

3. MSCs from 1 through 4 will increase score as listed.

4. MSCs 6 and 7 will decrease score as listed.

• MSC 1: Top off; vehicle, driver, and all occupants covered with mud: +30
  • MSC 2: Top partially off; vehicle and some occupants covered with Mud: +Dana 20
  • MSC 3: Top on; vehicle covered with mud: +10
  • MSC 4: Top off during snow, sleet, hail, or heavy rain: +5
  • MSC 5: Somewhat dirty: 0
  • MSC 6: Obviously recently washed, but immediately re-muddied a little: -10
  • MSC 7: Clean, dry, unscratched, untested: -30

Equipment Adjustments (EAs):............

(What you build)

Consideration must be given to the current mechanical condition of the vehicle, including all modifications for trailworthiness, comfort, appearance, and spouse-appeasal. These are known as Equipment Adjustments (EAs). EAs are a complicated category, and often difficult to appraise under certain conditions (passing head-to-head at 60 mph, when covered with mud, etc) but must be used to modify score when feasible. If a vehicle is so covered with mud that you are unable to ascertain any of the EAs, you MUST assume that the EAs, when combined with the MSC 1 adjustment, would place the vehicle in a higher scoring position than any non-MSC 1 Jeep, and immediately initiate the wave. Otherwise, EAs will adjust score as follows:

.Engine:

• Stock, Pre-CJ, Working Condition: +2
  • Stock, 8-cyl: +2
  • Stock, 6-cyl: +1
  • Stock, 4-cyl: 0
  • Replaced, 8-cyl: +3
  • Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 4-cyl): +2
  • Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 6-cyl): 0
  • Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 8-cyl): -1
  • Replaced, 4-cyl: -1
Drivetrain Modifications:

• Improved internal mechanical parts (crank/cam/etc): +2 each
  • Upgraded Transmission: NV4500 or Turbo 400: +3, All others: +2
  • Upgraded Transfer Case: +2
  • Improved exterior mechanical parts (headers/manifolds/pumps/filters/etc): +1 each
  • Stone stock in a pre-1970 vehicle: +3 (for nostalgia and historical analysis)
  • All Comfort enhancements removed for more power: +2
Tires:

• Stock or unremarkable: 0
  • Original Tires on Pre-CJ: +2
  • Slightly oversized (up to 31"): +1
  • Over 31, with other appropriate mods: +2
  • Any size, currently covered with mud: +2
  • Working tires > 31" with original donut spare: -2
  • Low-profile: -10
Suspension:

• Stock, Pre-CJ: +2 if driver can still walk after an hour in the saddle
  • Body lift: +1/inch
  • Suspension lift: +2/inch
  • Spring-Over Lift: +3
  • High-quality shocks: +2
  • Lowered: -Dana 20
Other accessories/conditions:

• Winch, heavy-duty, obviously used: +2
  • Winch, heavy-duty, use unclear: +1
  • Other winch, obviously used: +1
  • Little, chrome-covered, toy winch: -1
  • Lockers: +2
  • Upgraded axles: +1
  • Upgraded transfer case: +1
  • Each chrome accessory currently shiny: -1
  • Each neon accessory: -2
  • Fire extinguishers: +1
  • Block and Tackle, anchors, etc: +2
  • Ropes, straps, tow chains: +1
  • Tow Hooks: +1
  • Nerf Bars/Rock Rails, used and scarred: +2
  • Nerf Bars, shiny, no scars: -1
  • Heavy duty bash/skid plates: +1
  • Other protective plating (diamond plate, etc): +2 if scarred, -2 if unscarred
  • Extra fuel tanks/oversize fuel tanks: +1
  • External Gear Carrying Rack: +1
  • Multi disc-CD Player: -1
  • More than one subwoofer: -1 each
  • First Aid Kit: +1
  • Backpack, food, emergency gear (just in case): +2
  • On-board air compressor: +1
  • On-board Welder: +2
  • Girly, shiny chrome center caps: -1
  • Krylon home-made paint job: +1 (for realizing it's just going to happen again)
  • Blackout Headlight Covers: -1
  • Any little flippy interior vanity mirrors: -1
  • Children in vehicle: +1/each (for proper training/indoctrination), +2 if muddy, an immediate correction if not belted in.
  • EARNED trip stickers/badges/etc: +1/each
  • Unearned stickers/badges/etc: -2/each
  • Stickers advertising for other than 4wd-related businesses: -2 (except No Fear: -5)
  • MSC 1 vehicle in corporate lot sharing with neighbor vehicles: +1 per vehicle decorated
  • Correct mental attitude, seen or proven: +3
  • Windshield down: +1 (+2 if raining/snowing)
  • Bugs left on face/teeth as evidence of recent windshield down driving: +1 (+2 if more than a week old)
  • CB radio or other communication tool (for emergency only): +1
  • Hi-Lift Jack: +2
  • Flexible caulking to fill leaks and body damage: +2
  • Dogs as passengers, properly secured: +1 (sharing the joy of Jeeping)
  • Bringing a new Jeeper into the Family: +5
  • Extra Lighting, used for night-wheeling, not pastel or neon colored: +1/ea
  • Homemade roll bar pads: +1
  • Duct Tape currently in use: +1 per yard
  • Duct Tape Reserve: +1 per roll
  • Top on and windows up, warm day: -2
  • Grenade Hood Ornament: +1
  • P.A. - used to harass drivers of lesser vehicles: +1
  • Storage boxes from solid steel or ammo cans: +1
  • Waving while fighting the older Jeeps' natural urge to wander: +1
  • Plastic headlight covers/accessories: -1
  • Bra (on a Jeep - how could you??): -1
  • Snorkel Gear (functional): +2
Battle Scars:

• Mashed hood, top, etc., obviously from roll-over: +3
  • Holes above glove box where passenger ripped grab-bar out: +3
  • Heavily gouged rocker panels: +2
  • Bloody seats: +2
  • V-bent front bumper from being pulled out of that REALLY bad one: +2
  • Scarred sides from those mis-judged rocks: +1
  • Any small parking lot dent/scratch still identifiable: -1
  • Other accessories bent, folded, mangled or mutilated: +1, EXCEPT:
  • See above, but said item is owned by your spouse: +2
  • No scars whatsoever: -3 (Unless Pre-CJ restored, then: +3)
  • New body due to rust only: -5 (unless a rescue, see discussion below)
  • New body due to damage: Previous damage points carry over (see discussion below)
  • Fire Damage (bubbled paint, singed seats, etc): +2
  • Limbs, Shrubs, etc attached well enough to remain at highway speed: +1/each
  • Any rescue in the Jeep's past requiring the use of snowmobiles: +1
  • Any rescue in the Jeep's past requiring the use of boats: +2
  • Any rescue in the Jeep's past requiring the use of tracked vehicles: +2
  • Scars on the driver - MUST be Jeep-related, may require proof: +1
  • Each Jeep Rescue performed: +1

Because Rules!

WARNING:

Owning, registering, insuring, or driving a Jeep implies knowledge of and intent to abide by the following rules, regulations, and guidelines. Failure to obey the letter or spirit of the rules may result in your being ignored by other Jeep owners as you sit along the side of the road next to your stalled vehicle in a blizzard surrounded by Saturns, Yugos, and Hyundais.

Definition:

The Jeep Wave
: An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle, the Jeep. Generally consists of vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette. Examples of commonly accepted modifications:

• Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub
  • Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel
  • Southern/rural locations: Raise fingers from steering wheel, nod.
......It's not what you buy, it's what you build and what you do with it.......

In keeping with this cardinal rule of Jeeping, categories have been established to account for each part of the equation.

• The General Rules.
  • The Jeep Waving Hierarchy: Based on the vehicle itself. Takes into account the nostalgia factor, the discomfort tolerance quotient, and the amount of owner dedication required to maintain the steed.
  • The Modifying Sub-categories: Based on what you do with your Jeep.
  • Equipment Adjustments: What you build.

General Rules:

1. All Jeepers are responsible for upholding the tradition of the Wave. Upon contact with a higher scoring Jeep, a Jeeper is required to initiate the Wave, and continue the Wave until:

• The Wave is returned
  • The Wave is blatantly disregarded
  • The higher scoring vehicle has passed by and is out of sight
2. All Jeepers are required to return the Wave, unless the initiating vehicle is clearly has a negative (below 0) score.

3. All Jeepers are encouraged, but not required, to return the Wave to negative balance vehicles, and take any opportunity presented to guide and mentor them about their responsibilities to their Jeeps in the hopes that they can correct the error of their ways.

4. When unsure of status or wave requirements of a particular encounter or unable to completely assess the other Jeep's score quickly enough to ensure that the proper Jeep Wave Etiquette rules are followed, immediately initiate wave.

.The Jeep Waving Hierarchy (JWH):......

Category A - Pre-CJ: 30

Category B - Pre-AMC CJ: 27

Category C - Other CJ: 25

Category D - Commando: Dana 20

Category E - YJ: 16

Category F - TJ: 15

Category G - Cherokee, Wagoneer: 10

Category H - All other Jeeps: 5

Category I - All other 4WD vehicles EXCEPT yuppie Explorers: 0

Category J - All other vehicles

.The Modifying Sub-Categories (MSCs):

(What you do with it)

1. MSCs must be considered during all Jeep encounters, and wave patterns must be adjusted accordingly.

2. MSC 5 is the median - the accepted norm.

3. MSCs from 1 through 4 will increase score as listed.

4. MSCs 6 and 7 will decrease score as listed.

• MSC 1: Top off; vehicle, driver, and all occupants covered with mud: +30
  • MSC 2: Top partially off; vehicle and some occupants covered with Mud: +Dana 20
  • MSC 3: Top on; vehicle covered with mud: +10
  • MSC 4: Top off during snow, sleet, hail, or heavy rain: +5
  • MSC 5: Somewhat dirty: 0
  • MSC 6: Obviously recently washed, but immediately re-muddied a little: -10
  • MSC 7: Clean, dry, unscratched, untested: -30

Equipment Adjustments (EAs):............

(What you build)

Consideration must be given to the current mechanical condition of the vehicle, including all modifications for trailworthiness, comfort, appearance, and spouse-appeasal. These are known as Equipment Adjustments (EAs). EAs are a complicated category, and often difficult to appraise under certain conditions (passing head-to-head at 60 mph, when covered with mud, etc) but must be used to modify score when feasible. If a vehicle is so covered with mud that you are unable to ascertain any of the EAs, you MUST assume that the EAs, when combined with the MSC 1 adjustment, would place the vehicle in a higher scoring position than any non-MSC 1 Jeep, and immediately initiate the wave. Otherwise, EAs will adjust score as follows:

.Engine:

• Stock, Pre-CJ, Working Condition: +2
  • Stock, 8-cyl: +2
  • Stock, 6-cyl: +1
  • Stock, 4-cyl: 0
  • Replaced, 8-cyl: +3
  • Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 4-cyl): +2
  • Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 6-cyl): 0
  • Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 8-cyl): -1
  • Replaced, 4-cyl: -1
Drivetrain Modifications:

• Improved internal mechanical parts (crank/cam/etc): +2 each
  • Upgraded Transmission: NV4500 or Turbo 400: +3, All others: +2
  • Upgraded Transfer Case: +2
  • Improved exterior mechanical parts (headers/manifolds/pumps/filters/etc): +1 each
  • Stone stock in a pre-1970 vehicle: +3 (for nostalgia and historical analysis)
  • All Comfort enhancements removed for more power: +2
Tires:

• Stock or unremarkable: 0
  • Original Tires on Pre-CJ: +2
  • Slightly oversized (up to 31"): +1
  • Over 31, with other appropriate mods: +2
  • Any size, currently covered with mud: +2
  • Working tires > 31" with original donut spare: -2
  • Low-profile: -10
Suspension:

• Stock, Pre-CJ: +2 if driver can still walk after an hour in the saddle
  • Body lift: +1/inch
  • Suspension lift: +2/inch
  • Spring-Over Lift: +3
  • High-quality shocks: +2
  • Lowered: -Dana 20
Other accessories/conditions:

• Winch, heavy-duty, obviously used: +2
  • Winch, heavy-duty, use unclear: +1
  • Other winch, obviously used: +1
  • Little, chrome-covered, toy winch: -1
  • Lockers: +2
  • Upgraded axles: +1
  • Upgraded transfer case: +1
  • Each chrome accessory currently shiny: -1
  • Each neon accessory: -2
  • Fire extinguishers: +1
  • Block and Tackle, anchors, etc: +2
  • Ropes, straps, tow chains: +1
  • Tow Hooks: +1
  • Nerf Bars/Rock Rails, used and scarred: +2
  • Nerf Bars, shiny, no scars: -1
  • Heavy duty bash/skid plates: +1
  • Other protective plating (diamond plate, etc): +2 if scarred, -2 if unscarred
  • Extra fuel tanks/oversize fuel tanks: +1
  • External Gear Carrying Rack: +1
  • Multi disc-CD Player: -1
  • More than one subwoofer: -1 each
  • First Aid Kit: +1
  • Backpack, food, emergency gear (just in case): +2
  • On-board air compressor: +1
  • On-board Welder: +2
  • Girly, shiny chrome center caps: -1
  • Krylon home-made paint job: +1 (for realizing it's just going to happen again)
  • Blackout Headlight Covers: -1
  • Any little flippy interior vanity mirrors: -1
  • Children in vehicle: +1/each (for proper training/indoctrination), +2 if muddy, an immediate correction if not belted in.
  • EARNED trip stickers/badges/etc: +1/each
  • Unearned stickers/badges/etc: -2/each
  • Stickers advertising for other than 4wd-related businesses: -2 (except No Fear: -5)
  • MSC 1 vehicle in corporate lot sharing with neighbor vehicles: +1 per vehicle decorated
  • Correct mental attitude, seen or proven: +3
  • Windshield down: +1 (+2 if raining/snowing)
  • Bugs left on face/teeth as evidence of recent windshield down driving: +1 (+2 if more than a week old)
  • CB radio or other communication tool (for emergency only): +1
  • Hi-Lift Jack: +2
  • Flexible caulking to fill leaks and body damage: +2
  • Dogs as passengers, properly secured: +1 (sharing the joy of Jeeping)
  • Bringing a new Jeeper into the Family: +5
  • Extra Lighting, used for night-wheeling, not pastel or neon colored: +1/ea
  • Homemade roll bar pads: +1
  • Duct Tape currently in use: +1 per yard
  • Duct Tape Reserve: +1 per roll
  • Top on and windows up, warm day: -2
  • Grenade Hood Ornament: +1
  • P.A. - used to harass drivers of lesser vehicles: +1
  • Storage boxes from solid steel or ammo cans: +1
  • Waving while fighting the older Jeeps' natural urge to wander: +1
  • Plastic headlight covers/accessories: -1
  • Bra (on a Jeep - how could you??): -1
  • Snorkel Gear (functional): +2
Battle Scars:

• Mashed hood, top, etc., obviously from roll-over: +3
  • Holes above glove box where passenger ripped grab-bar out: +3
  • Heavily gouged rocker panels: +2
  • Bloody seats: +2
  • V-bent front bumper from being pulled out of that REALLY bad one: +2
  • Scarred sides from those mis-judged rocks: +1
  • Any small parking lot dent/scratch still identifiable: -1
  • Other accessories bent, folded, mangled or mutilated: +1, EXCEPT:
  • See above, but said item is owned by your spouse: +2
  • No scars whatsoever: -3 (Unless Pre-CJ restored, then: +3)
  • New body due to rust only: -5 (unless a rescue, see discussion below)
  • New body due to damage: Previous damage points carry over (see discussion below)
  • Fire Damage (bubbled paint, singed seats, etc): +2
  • Limbs, Shrubs, etc attached well enough to remain at highway speed: +1/each
  • Any rescue in the Jeep's past requiring the use of snowmobiles: +1
  • Any rescue in the Jeep's past requiring the use of boats: +2
  • Any rescue in the Jeep's past requiring the use of tracked vehicles: +2
  • Scars on the driver - MUST be Jeep-related, may require proof: +1
  • Each Jeep Rescue performed: +1

This is more like it- needs a little more detail, but we can work with it.