MXT 275

DavidBT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just installed the MXT275 in my 05 TJR. Nothing fancy for now. Used Velcro and stuck it on the driver side console next to my calf above the gas pedal. Just going to use the little antenna it came with for now. I have a couple of Costco Motorola HT's that I picked up years ago. My plan is to add an antenna to my Gladiator and move the radio from vehicle to vehicle as needed.

I am almost sold on this unit, and buy a handheld so I can communicate with the jeep when I'm outside,maybe UV-5R

Time to let go of my cobra 75, and I'm sick of cheap FRS.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmbarreiros
I did that with FRS, seemed like I always ended up with one that wouldn't work Lol.

The MXT and uv5r play nice together?

So far so good. I left one with my sister in law and was able to talk mobile to HT about 5 miles. And it was across a couple of neighborhoods. There actually ham radios that can be unlocked. I might eventually get a ham license, not sure on that yet.

Reactions: Mrholland
I did that with FRS, seemed like I always ended up with one that wouldn't work Lol.

The MXT and uv5r play nice together?

They are just ham radios you can program to GMRS/FRS freqs, so yes. Any radios programmed to the same freqs will play with each other.

*And yes I understand analog vs digital vs AM vs FM etc. I'm just keeping it simple.

Reactions: DavidBT
I am almost sold on this unit, and buy a handheld so I can communicate with the jeep when I'm outside,maybe UV-5R

Time to let go of my cobra 75, and I'm sick of cheap FRS.

It’s a nice simple GMRS setup that works well….

I ditched my FRS handhelds and got some much nicer Midland GMRS handhelds to use in conjunction with the MXT275 in my TJ…

I would do it over again without worry…

Reactions: Mrholland