my 03 wrangler X build

I will probably be doing both at the same time. Does anyone have any recommendations for a winch and rockerguards?

I like my stock Rubicon rocker guards.

As for a winch, I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that the most popular winch for our TJs is the Warn M8000 or Warn M8000-S

Of course it costs a pretty penny, but it doesn't get any better!

Reactions: UpperMI
I like my stock Rubicon rocker guards.

As for a winch, I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that the most popular winch for our TJs is the Warn M8000 or Warn M8000-S

Of course it costs a pretty penny, but it doesn't get any better!

Warn makes a few different winches. Do you know the advantages or disadvantages of the M8000 versus the vr8000 or the Zeon 8 winches?

Warn makes a few different winches. Do you know the advantages or disadvantages of the M8000 versus the vr8000 or the Zeon 8 winches?

The VR8000 versus the M8000 come down to minor differences, but they can play a significant part, depending on how you'll use the winch:
  • M8000 uses a contactor instead of a solenoid
  • M8000 has a faster line pull
  • M8000 is built for longer sustained pulls, while the VR8000 is designed for short pulls (less frequent)
  • Obviously, the M8000 has a proven history that the VR8000 hasn't achieved yet
  • The M8000 costs more than the VR
From what I understand, the majority of the parts are made in China, whereas the M8000 is mostly all made (and assembled in the US).

The Zeon 8 is a further improvement over the M8000 and it's main selling point is a better line speed, but unless you're using your winch all the time, it's probably not necessary. It also looks pretty cool too!

Reactions: UpperMI
The VR8000 versus the M8000 come down to minor differences, but they can play a significant part, depending on how you'll use the winch:
  • M8000 uses a contactor instead of a solenoid
  • M8000 has a faster line pull
  • M8000 is built for longer sustained pulls, while the VR8000 is designed for short pulls (less frequent)
  • Obviously, the M8000 has a proven history that the VR8000 hasn't achieved yet
  • The M8000 costs more than the VR
From what I understand, the majority of the parts are made in China, whereas the M8000 is mostly all made (and assembled in the US).

The Zeon 8 is a further improvement over the M8000 and it's main selling point is a better line speed, but unless you're using your winch all the time, it's probably not necessary. It also looks pretty cool too!

Cool, thanks for that summary. Very helpful.

Reactions: Chris
Yep, the Warn M8000 is a winch that is been tried and tested. That's why it's worth paying more for it than some no name brand. You know it won't let you down!