MiRustyjeep

Wow...really? They have the aluminum tapped so you thread into the Al then to a nutsert? I've read the installation instructions, but not clicking why you'd have to remove the whole slider to change the step.
So the basic mannerism of how the step attaches to the rocker is using countersunk screws and flange nuts. Which is great, but a pita if you ever need to remove the step. None of the aluminum is taped, just countersunk holes :). Basically if you look at the underside of the step that attaches to the rocker, you see the heads of the screws, but you can't get to the flange nuts on the back of the aluminum rocker (Without removing it). Trust me, its really well thought out. Nothing to be concerned about, can't say that for all of their stuff though :D.

More great progress. Good to have that help from your uncle with so much experience. That bottom panel should turn out nice, then a rock slider would be a great plus there. I still like the Savvy and Genright. Stay with it bro! You’re going to turn that corner soon and get to more fun stuff...:)

Ugh...today I worked on rusted bolts. 6 hours, and I got 4 out of 6 out. The two body mounts actually came out, thankfully. I had to go get a welder (borrowed from dad) to get the front body mount bolt.
View attachment 32275
View attachment 32276

The rear, I had to cut into the cross member. Stupid design...fully boxed cross member, and there is a floating nut inside it.
View attachment 32277 View attachment 32278
View attachment 32279
The shock mounts, pain in the ass. I cut the welds, two of them are broken out. Had to lift the body up, sitting on 3.5 inches of wood.
View attachment 32280

View attachment 32281

View attachment 32282
With the first pic, I thought it was a piece of rebar. Not a pretty sight! Sure looks like you're kicking some butt, Chief. Impressive!

Reactions: Mike_H
No turning back now! I drilled the spot welds off the floor boards and cut the rusty metal out of the rocker. I have another patch to make for the floor and weld in a new flange. Anyway, pictures...
20180306_210021.jpg
20180306_210032.jpg

Here is my patch...note: I cut this patch before I cut the rocker out. I've found it is a lot easier to make the hole fit the patch vs the other way around.

20180306_210640.jpg

No turning back now! I drilled the spot welds off the floor boards and cut the rusty metal out of the rocker. I have another patch to make for the floor and weld in a new flange. Anyway, pictures...View attachment 34328 View attachment 34329

Here is my patch...note: I cut this patch before I cut the rocker out. I've found it is a lot easier to make the hole fit the patch vs the other way around.

View attachment 34330
I’ve been worried about you! Nice work and great idea with patch first. I know you’re in way over where you thought you would be, but the work is great.

No turning back now! I drilled the spot welds off the floor boards and cut the rusty metal out of the rocker. I have another patch to make for the floor and weld in a new flange. Anyway, pictures...View attachment 34328 View attachment 34329

View attachment 34330
Impressive work! Where would we be without our projects, right? Actually, don't answer that! ;)

Reactions: JMT and Mike_H
started welding tonight. Got the floor pan repaired. Pretty happy with how it turned out too.

This is the repair, looking down from the inside of the cab. I welded from the bottom up, so, the bead you see here is penetration from the other side. I have a couple of spots to hit again, so I don't get cracks in the paint. Anywhere you can see the split line from the original floor to the patch can possibly crack.
20180309_221027.jpg

This shot is from the bottom (underneath the Jeep). My beads are getting better. I've been reading about sheet metal repair and with 16 ga you can push a bead about an inch before it gets "too hot." Lots easier and quicker than trying to stitch weld the whole thing.
20180309_221053.jpg

Finally, this is the side view. Nothing really to see, other than a nice complete weld flange to attach the rocker to!
20180309_221034.jpg

What have I learned so far?

I should have cut more original steel out of the repair area. I blew a hole through in a couple spots. I thought the 3/4" margin I gave myself would be enough, but it was not. Thankfully, I'm getting good enough welding rusty junk that I was able to fill it. Little grinding and some body filler and it will not even be noticeable (from the inside anyway).

Tack welds need a TON of power to get enough penetration to really hold. I set the welder up per the chart for 16 ga. I stitch welded a practice seam. I ground the bead off, hammered the metal flat, and cracked the weld right along the original seam. I broke it apart by hand. Tacking the metal, then welding in 1" or so long sections works MUCH better. The arc has enough time to develop and you get good heat penetration. Gotta jump around though, or else you'll warp everything.

Welding upside down above your head is as challenging as it is dangerous. I burned a hole in my shop coat, sweatshirt, t-shirt and chest skin. Needless to say, I invested in some PPE. I burned a hole through my helmet tonight too! Gravity is a bitch...the puddle likes to pull down too, which is another reason to weld in short sections vs a full seam.

I'll finish up tomorrow I think, then have my uncle come over and critique my work. My goal is to get this thing back on the road by April 1st. I think I can do it. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Today was a big day for me. I got all my patches welded in! I still need to grind the inside, and obviously body filler, prime, and paint, but its a big step forward for me. It feels like the project is moving again, which is a relief.

Here are all the weld flanges repaired, and waiting on the rocker patch. All the holes are for "spot" welds. I welded from the backside and filled the holes in to attach the rocker to the flanges.

jqWMgUmmWaW_Ma4jNZI14zujtXrqK5DtDzqj7QcyLikmiQ6UVBgG6qy97BfkwddbUdC9YsgVmN_cU7Bz1D=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Here is the rocker, all patched up and ground. Its far from perfect. I fit it a little too tight, and it sucked in when I welded it. Its all below the factory Rocker Guard tho, so no one will ever notice it.
OofAAooFks2AQzaoh_0-woYPMGqWLcFg30L3cLXYM9PH53s3FZ6bU-cR_1oC18onHy-2tRvjkVbckHVV99=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Here is the first couple layers of bondo. Yes, it sucks. I'm NOT a body guy. It will be covered by a nice rock slider in a couple weeks, so I didn't spend a ton of time on it.

dCm5rnNCP2Kd-2NBdrM3o1FYlJjI7bfynR6Lh212XITbTUvBmtmmpxJi9r0xFCQf836ptvMCBg3caa12ua=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Lil Paint, and ok as new...

I will say, the sheet metal on these things is NOT straight. I can't believe how many divots and dents the factory leaves on the tubs.

What else...I fixed a couple other rust spots on the tub. Drivers rocker...again, just a quick grind and shot of primer and paint. Its going to be covered so appearance isn't super important.

Rear Corner...This IS going to be seen, so I spent a bit more time trying to make it smooth. This was what it looked when I started.

3xP2fSLphv-VXGZNumNHQQoEGgwhogcwyrC8OqQ4aOinDUIXFaWpKzO6zA86rP0g999GBW_A-oSPYY4rxolelibA=s617-no.jpg

In Process. This is really wavy, from the factory.

onMh8dh66BE5nEusnb87s7oln1zDoWP8bSSSBPGM8pNzBpyVkRpGtqnB5Q6VIRbh--57KnRUr2awLgNTVBJ=w673-h379-no.jpg

Finished...for now. Couple mistakes. I didn't use a filling primer or sand down smooth, so the gloss level is pretty non-existent. It was also a bit cold to be spraying paint, so it was drying too slow...I have a couple sags to fix. Its a decent 10 foot paint job. I'll probably do it again this summer when its a bit warmer.
eKKHSHT0n8yvLufSXXdU9_TsGsYOIDY5ayhlRE3YdebGIh4U5scPRRibt7-PiiGfxQTW6ev_gjYjJdPPeyR=w348-h617-no.jpg

o4w26c4mK5XDz_1Pz1kxvbCHUr6JGSC3BsnDsxvsn2hmk9Puj7ggL7j4T0YmR_SVUNc9W0Xgah38wqsS1t5=w348-h617-no.jpg

“Rust Belt Heavyweight”

LOL

Great progress. Hoping April 1 is no fool’s day for you!

With the sheet metal finally repaired, I'm able to move forward with installing new parts again! I picked up a radiator fan shroud off CL today for 20 bucks. Mine was broken, not sure how or when, now its all good (but no pic).
JN8BqOU0m9Y2KXWY-k3tAU0Rk6mjq9Uq-zO-qvZuWSJm5qvGAPDrAVJPiHt-hMA1-dwbLAOo84YxnlaVX73=w359-h637-no.jpg

I also welded in some studs for the rear shocks. I've been trying to figure out what I wanted to do here for a couple weeks. I decided that studs will be fine, so in went the Grade 8 3/8" - 16 bolts. I'll slather them with anti-seize when I install my shocks. If they break again...well, lets just say the next time the shocks come off this pig, its going to be because they are being outboarded and I'm installing a Mid-arm kit!
1ZebovUaKZQyrgwkzqokCtMwUmt1N364BKB_kuzeMw8KDJhba7fl27w3MHgvU4RLGplYp1iyUWvI1a_QVwI=w359-h637-no.jpg

Finally, I started working on my Body lift and mount replacement. I had to call it quits before I finished though. The bolts that JKS provided with the kit are not long enough to engage the nuts on the tub.
_XuXmoJTTzHU7DhniYMTeW40QBzXGA2FbigkDwpDpKoVHYMXnNipRMTYwUyOA8F5yrxkbjSAyS-KDzqE0A2=w359-h637-no.jpg

There is only about a 1/2" of thread engagement there. I couldn't even get it to start. So, Tomorrow I'll run to the farm store and pick up some longer ones...I figure 5 1/2" oughta do. Kinda bums me out. I'm going to send JKS a nastygram next week. Anyway, its nice to have some forward progress once again!

Reactions: derekmac and JMT
Well, she's starting to look like a jeep again. I finished up my body lift. What a PAIN in the ass those radiator supports were. I had to pull the headlight buckets to get my hand into the grill and pull the "nubs" through their mounting holes. Once it was down on its mounts again, I was able to install my fenders!

k4L2HbG2g1itDUTIp0o9qADMl-mMYLZrV0zUU7zQ61qG6kcaYXs1jjfeMW1-fOZBzI9s7w95Emo0pKFvvr=w1634-h919-no.jpg

This crap is DIRTY! I have to laugh. We preach "lean" manufacturing here at work. A big part of that is 5S, which is "a place for everything, and everything in its place." I think about my shop (and some of it comes through in my photos) and I wonder, I sure am glad the people that work for me don't see this place all the time!

I also have some concerns with my front springs. They seem awfully high. I'm going to reserve judgment for now, because the rear end is still on jack stands instead of tires, but a quick measurement with fenders and hood, no bumper, showed an installed length of 16" which is a 4" lift! I'm still knocking the crap off the rear of the tub and getting ready to shoot some bedliner up there before the axle goes in, so that will be a couple days.

Wow- just went through your whole thread! Great work!! Looks like you and I are in this rust battle together. Couple of things I picked up as I was getting things ready for my project. First is a great rust reformer called Rust Sergeant that I found (no personal affiliation, just like the product). http://www.vintagejeeps.com/p-2112-rust-sergeant-rcmp-quart.aspx.

Stuff works great. I have been using it for all the hard to reach crevices that I find before I coat it with chassis saver. I was worried that the paint wasn't getting in to the tight seams well enough. I use a cheap sponge brush from Home Depot and I can really force it in. I then just paint over it once it dries and turns black. Couple of good videos on youtube show the results, which is how I found it. A little goes a long way too, which is nice. I am going to keep following your progress and hopefully pick up a few things you have learned along the way.

Second is the use of seam sealer. I have never used it before (this is my first restoration attempt) but from what I was told by a mechanic friend, it is important to use it along the seams where you have plug welded the new metal in to prevent future salt from getting trapped in there and un-doing all of your hard work. Just thought I would share his comments.

Reactions: Squatch and Mike_H
I got her on her wheels today! The front dropped down where it was supposed to, the rear looked good. Couple quick measurements shows a 2.5 inch lift in the rear and 2 inch in the front. This is without the fuel tank. At the control arm mounts, Frame to concrete was 18" front, 19" rear. Both measurements taken on the passenger side. I'll have to find the lift measurements thread and update here with my "before" numbers.

I pulled the wheels and tires back off again, to run through bumpstopping the axle and finish up some assembly. I have to reattach the brakelines, locker stuff, breather, etc. Once that is done, I'm pulling the tank out of the skid and cutting an inch out of the skid to lift the tank higher.

J40rUWsDpZSSTUe5DDDkH_KOh8Mtri04h2nXPlJmwXakJWZtS43d9KjUPVscUlawZqUtKPIX4ov91OPZMR=w1133-h638-no.jpg

In other news...since the OEM rocker "guards" are shot...I'm currently shopping for some rocker armor. Trying to decide between JCR Crusader (not their standard) and Savvy. JCR is considerably cheaper (like 150 bucks after shipping) but I know the Savvy is better. Is it better enough to spend the money? I dunno...I'll probably end up buying JCR, as I can't come up with a REAL distinguishing characteristic. I'm unsure about how far the JCR armor extends. I know it goes under the flares, but not sure how far. Their install video shows nearly WW2WW coverage but I want to call tomorrow and verify that and their lead time. I'll probably go JCR and support a relatively local company ( couple hours away).

Anyway, I'm on track to have this thing drivable again by April 1. Might not be pretty, but I gotta get her on the road again!

Reactions: tquig01 and Squatch