MiRustyjeep

Sweet looking wheel! You know my stance on tire width vs. practicality. Wider tire = more rolling mass, less clearance, rain/snow performance, etc. Just my side of the coin brah.

In choosing tire width, I would consider how much it rains where you live, how much snow, because if your tires are out past the fenders, they will fling it up on your Jeep. That may not bother you. I live in a place where we’re lucky to get 15” of rain a year and 1” of snow every three years. I’m not convinced on the narrower tire performs better in the snow and mud argument. I’d be willing to bet any differences are negligible and attributable to other things.

And on the clearance issue, my avatar says it all. That tire is stuffed inside the flare and not even touching it, though if I turned the tire it would touch the flare.

In choosing tire width, I would consider how much it rains where you live, how much snow, because if your tires are out past the fenders, they will fling it up on your Jeep. That may not bother you. I live in a place where we’re lucky to get 15” of rain a year and 1” of snow every three years. I’m not convinced on the narrower tire performs better in the snow and mud argument. I’d be willing to bet any differences are negligible and attributable to other things.

And on the clearance issue, my avatar says it all. That tire is stuffed inside the flare and not even touching it, though if I turned the tire it would touch the flare.

OK, Mr. Texas. Leave the rain and snow comparisons to guys who actually drive in it! :) A narrower tire will absolutely perform better in rain and snow. It has to do with pressure at the contact patch. When you have to dig through to a solid surface, a smaller contact patch is muy bueno. its all about Pounds per square inch. Same vehicle weight, smaller contact area, greater ground pressure. Simple physics.

I don't drive my jeep in the snow, or rain generally. I'm really torn on the tire/wheel/width thing. Part of me wants to keep the 17's and just run some 285/70R17s. They would rub on the control arms like crazy though...My 10" wide tires already rub. @bobthetj03 sent me some pics of his ride (thanks for that BTW), with basically the same set-up I'm looking at. Obviously, his TJ looks great, so I can assume mine would look great as well. HOWEVER...my buddies (yeah, we all know how this goes) all run 12.5's and they are telling me that 12.5's are the shizzle, even though physics is on the side of 10.5.

I really wish I KNEW why I don't like my current set-up...is it the height, width, or offset? Maybe it just needs more rubber? Couple pics as a reminder...Opinions?

OUVO1F_XYtoAg5cTLAWbFHJTM6XL2uK04LsK-iRVw-IcLFAzGyq48Z7c1q0h5V5eJ5kkWKfRipzd_nKzS8=w1129-h635-no.jpg

_5QWljXsZBYdGhnpsthYfjr8n8egnKmcEHQFEVoUv1FWXA567eInu1vdvWzPhDkesr8tJcwJ7Gq12Vy9jf8=w747-h635-no.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ and Starrs
I really wish I KNEW why I don't like my current set-up...is it the height, width, or offset? Maybe it just needs more rubber? Couple pics as a reminder...Opinions?
Just my personal opinion (and opinions are worth only what you paid for them), but the track seems somewhat narrow to me. It's the first thing I noticed when I saw the first pic, so then I looked harder at it to see if it's the angle the shot was taken, or something. I dunno. Again, it's just my personal opinion. I do have to add that it reminded me of a quote by Bunkie Knudsen when they were designing the 1959 Pontiacs. He didn't like the tires being tucked in as much as they were, and said "It looks like a football player wearing ballet slippers". From that came the Pontiac Wide-Tracks of 1959 and up. (Edit: I am in no way implying that your situation is that extreme. Hope I didn't offend, @Ranger_b0b)
Having said all this, I do think the overall look is a good one. It looks rugged, to me. I bought my rims with more backspacing to get my tires brought in a bit, though not as much as the stock rims did. But remember, this is all coming from a first time TJ owner who has yet to complete his project and drive it for the first time, so it'd be fair for you to say "What do you know?" ;)

*BTW, I agree about the narrower tires doing far better in the snow and rain!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_H
OK, Mr. Texas. Leave the rain and snow comparisons to guys who actually drive in it! :) A narrower tire will absolutely perform better in rain and snow. It has to do with pressure at the contact patch. When you have to dig through to a solid surface, a smaller contact patch is muy bueno. its all about Pounds per square inch. Same vehicle weight, smaller contact area, greater ground pressure. Simple physics.

I don't drive my jeep in the snow, or rain generally. I'm really torn on the tire/wheel/width thing. Part of me wants to keep the 17's and just run some 285/70R17s. They would rub on the control arms like crazy though...My 10" wide tires already rub. @bobthetj03 sent me some pics of his ride (thanks for that BTW), with basically the same set-up I'm looking at. Obviously, his TJ looks great, so I can assume mine would look great as well. HOWEVER...my buddies (yeah, we all know how this goes) all run 12.5's and they are telling me that 12.5's are the shizzle, even though physics is on the side of 10.5.

View attachment 47126

View attachment 47127
Yep, just need more rubber. You’re essentially at a 32.1 now, a 33 really wouldn’t be much bigger, most run 32.5-32.7 out of the box. But the width would make a difference in the looks. It’s only 1” wider on each side, inside and outside. Try this, switch your wheels and tires out for one of your friends who is running the 12.5’s and look at it and drive it. Then decide.

On the traction bit, yeah, I’m aware of the physics, and I may be wrong here, but how many times did you get stuck with a 12.5 but if you had a 10.5 you wouldn’t have? Or some scenario like that. And what about tread pattern? There’s more to it than tire width. That’s all I’m saying. Maybe your friends have a point that 12.5’s is the shizzle. At regular tire pressures, how much more weight is being transferred to the ground with 10.5’s than 12.5’s on the four tires? Is it really significant? ARe we talking 10 lbs or 1000lbs?

View attachment 47126

View attachment 47127

The only thing wrong with that first pic is your wheel's back spacing. Put some spacers on there to scoot those wheels out to the fender flare, and you have a great combo. If you don't like spacers, get some wheels with the proper BS brah. Come on!

The only thing wrong with that first pic is your wheel's back spacing. Put some spacers on there to scoot those wheels out to the fender flare, and you have a great combo. If you don't like spacers, get some wheels with the proper BS brah. Come on!
Since they are jk wheels, I already have spacers. I haven't actually looked for a 2" wide adapter...

Oh, and btw, you don’t drive in the snow, so what difference does it make? And proper BS would possibly solve the rubbing on control arm problem.

Maybe a thicker spacer would bring the current setup out enough to please you. Hard to say.

I like it, but I would want a wider stance and more rubber. Your setup is perfect for 33’s of either width.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
Well, after some sticker shock...quote was over 1800 bucks for wheels and tires (I didn't get an itemized quote), I looked around on Amazon. I found some 2" thick adapters for 140 dollars. I might get those and try them out. That would set me up for some 285/70R17's without rubbing, I suspect.

The other side of the coin is that I have a buddy who just picked up a pretty nice XJ. It has 31's on the steel wheels. He (and I) think my current setup would look pretty awesome on his Red XJ. I know I can do the wheels and tires from Tire Rack for about 1400 bucks. I'm all about supporting local businesses, but a 400 dollar difference is crazy.

Ok guys, (esp @Chris and @Starrs) I need some good luck wished. I found some Pintlers today, on FB marketplace. They are black (yuck) but I'm pretty good at refinishing wheels. 360 bucks for 4 of them. I'm second in line. Dude is showing them to someone, on his way to SC and won't be back until next weekend. I'm really hoping I win! They are my favorite jeep wheel of all time...

The cool thing, is that I think these are the older, cast in USA ones. They don't have the AEV mark in the spokes, but they are definitely AEV wheels (there is a pic of the logo on the back)

31960583_10155528145497371_5104154849851736064_n.jpg

Ok guys, (esp @Chris and @Starrs) I need some good luck wished. I found some Pintlers today, on FB marketplace. They are black (yuck) but I'm pretty good at refinishing wheels. 360 bucks for 4 of them. I'm second in line. Dude is showing them to someone, on his way to SC and won't be back until next weekend. I'm really hoping I win! They are my favorite jeep wheel of all time...

The cool thing, is that I think these are the older, cast in USA ones. They don't have the AEV mark in the spokes, but they are definitely AEV wheels (there is a pic of the logo on the back)

View attachment 47410

Where's the fifth wheel?

Whoever did those in black should be shot. I can't stand black wheels (just my opinion), but yes, you could refinish them in satin silver like they should be. Add the yellow AEV center cap and they'd look awesome!

But you gotta get a matching spare :p

Where's the fifth wheel?

Whoever did those in black should be shot. I can't stand black wheels (just my opinion), but yes, you could refinish them in satin silver like they should be. Add the yellow AEV center cap and they'd look awesome!

But you gotta get a matching spare :p
No matching spare...but I'm ok with that. I'm not a fan of black wheels either, esp on my black jeep. If I got these, I think I'd pony up for a proper blast and powdercoat. Be a couple hundred extra, but shit man, still a good deal.

Reactions: JMT
No matching spare...but I'm ok with that. If I got these, I think I'd pony up for a proper blast and powdercoat. Be a couple hundred extra, but shit man, still a good deal.

Yeah, not a bad deal at all! I looked for TJ Pintlers for a long time, but finally decided I had no choice but to go with the JK ones. I'm okay with that though, just means I have to run wheel spacers, but I'll live.

Those deserve a proper powder coat, I agree. Hopefully they're all straight!

Yeah, not a bad deal at all! I looked for TJ Pintlers for a long time, but finally decided I had no choice but to go with the JK ones. I'm okay with that though, just means I have to run wheel spacers, but I'll live.

Those deserve a proper powder coat, I agree. Hopefully they're all straight!
These are JK pintlers too...But I'm already running the spacers, so meh. The person listing them had them on a Grand Cherokee.

Reactions: Chris

View attachment 47410
Nice find! Satin silve. Did the AEV Pintlers come in a gunmetal gray too? Black ones would look good in a white Jeep with the yellow centers

These are JK pintlers too...But I'm already running the spacers, so meh. The person listing them had them on a Grand Cherokee.

Oh yes, then they cost $225 a wheel brand new, so for the right price these could be a good deal. Just factory in refinishing costs of course.