MiRustyjeep

Finishing my weekend work today, Got a nice coat of paint on the axle. My knuckles are REALLY nasty...like I think I should replace them...anyone got a good spare set laying around? Anyway, once the axle is hanging under the jeep again, I'll pull them apart and finish painting the inside of the axle "C" and the knuckles. I'm not going to wrestle with it until I can use the power steering to pop the unit bearing...IF I can get the bolts out.

As a Reminder...Before:

4PWgSDntLtB9fzOEt1q8CkRI2kEz6k_8P_0bGbECXVaJe4HyHEGhTlhnjmx0KOo21KxE4r5_QBXs-ycVUl=w1133-h638-no.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for paint:

gzPa1RXjSWf_8lwOTJxrmROarUwPxrpqTPzVgx-_7xIb1kJ-k6vfHGXRl-C25zaXxAneDacR-C4K8O1yGj=w1133-h638-no.jpg

B8V5JPhhSnAJGzzZ9MjegbkzRBC9I6fB41cn9yRqzJZOa0GxQ1GKGpmKQIblOKrU6T7TNQcGmaDaTQm2fP=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Finally, PAINT!!! Its still wet here, but I used a semi-gloss so it should tone down a bit...I hope.
M7ZHWGIgPIueFMDItLToOkqF64tfnRoUcy9yqUd5whez-7v7eCbZYJtQ2LTGj2MbiWqi7xuKtt6_x7akb8=w1133-h638-no.jpg

CUtBsdwKMICU0wcOFoBbetg9f5J3gqjDuvZXFPnc3AOwKuKP6Dnj8bHTCOY2QjevEar3Xii46P7IngbG0Q=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Finishing my weekend work today, Got a nice coat of paint on the axle. My knuckles are REALLY nasty...like I think I should replace them...anyone got a good spare set laying around? Anyway, once the axle is hanging under the jeep again, I'll pull them apart and finish painting the inside of the axle "C" and the knuckles. I'm not going to wrestle with it until I can use the power steering to pop the unit bearing...IF I can get the bolts out.

As a Reminder...Before:

View attachment 29611

View attachment 29612

View attachment 29613

Finally, PAINT!!! Its still wet here, but I used a semi-gloss so it should tone down a bit...I hope.
View attachment 29614

View attachment 29615
Damn that looks good. Wow

Reactions: Mike_H
Oh, and for those of you who DON'T live in the salt belt. Thank you lucky stars. This is my oil pan...and why I'm replacing it. This jeep is weird. Most of it is really solid, and I wouldn't have thought it spent its life in the Midwest. But some of it....HOLY COW. Looks like its been at the bottom of the sea for 50 years.

OH6kgaddLgKUtwtuPIFx80UBHeTYWX22LeVjBsNTxugmmrkcnfnpnD1WgPtRrvYlv2X6bSbakLKp_NC_7y=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Its literally flaking away by my fingers. Tapping on it, its feels as flexible as tinfoil in some spots! So...Those downpipes are gonna be fun to get out. I think my drivers side fender is coming off, just so I can get in there.

As a Reminder...Before:

View attachment 29611

View attachment 29612

View attachment 29613

View attachment 29614

View attachment 29615
Looks really good, although I used something very similar on mine. If you wheel the paint will be taken right off. Spring break project is going to be hitting the axles/frame up with a stronger paint/rust encapsulate pretty soon.

For the c's I highly recommend going to a junkyard and pulling them off a late 90s Cherokee. It was like $5 each when I needed a spare.

Really nice work bud!

Looks really good, although I used something very similar on mine. If you wheel the paint will be taken right off. Spring break project is going to be hitting the axles/frame up with a stronger paint/rust encapsulate pretty soon.

For the c's I highly recommend going to a junkyard and pulling them off a late 90s Cherokee. It was like $5 each when I needed a spare.

Really nice work bud!
What paint did you use? I've had pretty good luck with the high performance rustoleum (it's what i used here). its pretty durable, for a spray paint.

Did you mean knuckles? Every thing here in a junk yard is going to be just a rusty as this one.

What paint did you use? I've had pretty good luck with the high performance rustoleum (it's what i used here). its pretty durable, for a spray paint.

Did you mean knuckles? Every thing here in a junk yard is going to be just a rusty as this one.
Yes i meant knuckles.

I used a gloss rustoleum. Planned on doing everything in POR15 and topcoating. Its quite a bit more durable and really what I want for metal protection. I have never used performance rustoleum.

Yes i meant knuckles.

I used a gloss rustoleum. Planned on doing everything in POR15 and topcoating. Its quite a bit more durable and really what I want for metal protection. I have never used performance rustoleum.
Por is the bees knees. Very tough. It's $$$ though, and a bit of a pain to apply. Be careful with it around threaded holes and places where other things fit. It's thick enough to ruin press fits and you have to chase threads after it dries.

Had to take a break from lift work to address some mechanical stuff. I pulled my downtube and oil pan tonight so I can repair the impending doom of a blown out pan. It actually went MUCH better than I thought it would. Didn't even need to pull the front fender. Got all the bolts out without breakage. These are the four buggers that hold the downtube to the manifold...One of the heads had started to shrink but she came out. Obviously, I'll be replacing those.
_5AfLPYIPsDv55aoiOOPb-qVF6qaBlFGOpx_uqt3duBwJ8lGb03YsFRN3lTx7mei2qQqvqAlQW2e-qrnZ_3=w359-h637-no.jpg

Here is the downtube, all in one piece and undamaged.
7cqkYwEUV98voWkfHtWtNzRM-xVhaD-dCLVjbDJJagStSiEKjGEJZokDOA3T0Rc9uY311CuANrgGSs6IO1Y=w359-h637-no.jpg

Finally, the underside of my 4.0. Looks really good. No sludge and the cam looks brand new. I have a rear main seal coming too as I was just starting to leak.

dl9D9fqFsiWY--iogXU-zkLsnDpIjbedkRXE4f-RGAwZ7x0t69rFXPA3HHF1rGipeJmzX9IF3Yj_2xuKfA=w1133-h638-no.jpg

And the POS oil pan.
LF65SuiVneEKv5kgMWRBsFU5j64wADiSrGLtOqujb8IVs0Iu08IDaPe7nbNspGvZTSRwLsPxOpYP1LJv5Q0=w359-h637-no.jpg

This is why you look at frames...Check out the edges of this thing. There is NO strength left in the metal. You can literally break it away with your fingers.

a-o4lDjZyz9ws0f54NpcOM2TIW5UnPQCh2jCfiL8UEQq63Fgapbj3t94sfBn5_a5QM3-LrFPOyaA6a7qfF=w1133-h638-no.jpg

One last picture of Rot...Note, this isn't actually a hole...but its DAMN close. I can chop at this thing with a screwdriver, and giant chunks of metal fall off. 65 bucks for a new one is CHEAP insurance.

MK0Kvv-U71qcyvomcL1Yvl_PJeB3h1Da86orsAlwk5fL-g-1xou4s8Nx6RCq3DSeHXddn3vOiZFZPccmhD=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Had to take a break from lift work to address some mechanical stuff. I pulled my downtube and oil pan tonight so I can repair the impending doom of a blown out pan. It actually went MUCH better than I thought it would. Didn't even need to pull the front fender. Got all the bolts out without breakage. These are the four buggers that hold the downtube to the manifold...One of the heads had started to shrink but she came out. Obviously, I'll be replacing those.
View attachment 29767

View attachment 29768

Finally, the underside of my 4.0. Looks really good. No sludge and the cam looks brand new. I have a rear main seal coming too as I was just starting to leak.

View attachment 29769

And the POS oil pan.
View attachment 29770

This is why you look at frames...Check out the edges of this thing. There is NO strength left in the metal. You can literally break it away with your fingers.

View attachment 29771

One last picture of Rot...Note, this isn't actually a hole...but its DAMN close. I can chop at this thing with a screwdriver, and giant chunks of metal fall off. 65 bucks for a new one is CHEAP insurance.

View attachment 29772
Wow! I am thankful I’m not in the rust belt. What Oil Pan Replacement did you go with? I found a few in the $65 range, but they didn’t have the compartments that keep the oil from moving to the rear of the pan on inclines. The Mopar one was more like $150 I think.

View attachment 29767

View attachment 29768

View attachment 29769

And the POS oil pan.
View attachment 29770

View attachment 29771

View attachment 29772
A few friends of the family and my GFs parents TJs don’t look any where near this bad as far as rust goes and I’m def in the rust belt being in IN. I guess maybe they spray theirs off quite frequently or something I’m not sure. How does rust affect others TJs so much worse than other ppls??

Wow! I am thankful I’m not in the rust belt. What Oil Pan Replacement did you go with? I found a few in the $65 range, but they didn’t have the compartments that keep the oil from moving to the rear of the pan on inclines. The Mopar one was more like $150 I think.

The Mopar one doesn't have windage trays either. I ended up with this one on Amazon. They also carried it on rock auto.

Spectra Premium CRP06C Oil Pan for Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UE2RXS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

A few friends of the family and my GFs parents TJs don’t look any where near this bad as far as rust goes and I’m def in the rust belt being in IN. I guess maybe they spray theirs off quite frequently or something I’m not sure. How does rust affect others TJs so much worse than other ppls??
Most of my jeep is pretty good. Must have just been a poor coating process. I can't explain it. My uncle has a jeep that is perfect... he bought it because the frame broke in half and he replaced the frame. The body and everything else is beautiful.

Reactions: Starrs
Reactions: Mike_H
Most of my jeep is pretty good. Must have just been a poor coating process. I can't explain it. My uncle has a jeep that is perfect... he bought it because the frame broke in half and he replaced the frame. The body and everything else is beautiful.
Not gonna lie it freaks me out lol. I have been checking my frame constantly, but I don’t want to dwell on it. Spray it off couple times a week, and I’ll rustoleum undercoat it again after this season is over.

Did you think the lack of the trays is significant?

Nope. The pick up is in the deepest part of the pan, and it's quite a bit deeper than than the rest of the pan. You'd have to be on quite an incline to starve for oil. It's a huge sump, and we put 6 quarts of oil in, so, I'm good with it.

Nope. The pick up is in the deepest part of the pan, and it's quite a bit deeper than than the rest of the pan. You'd have to be on quite an incline to starve for oil. It's a huge sump, and we put 6 quarts of oil in, so, I'm good with it.
Thanks. I need an oil pan sometime. If my rear main seal starts leaking I’ll just do it all at once. Your work is coming along good. Going to be quite impressive!