MiRustyjeep

This post is not for the faint of heart, viewer discretion is advised... with that out of the way. I started frame restoration tonight... bought a needle de-scaler, which is an awesome invention, by the way, to help out. I worked on the front frame rails, back to the lower control arm mounts. Got both rails descaled, and one of them wire wheeled. Here...

Where I started...
20180126_194935.jpg

Where I ended after the needle descaler...

20180126_201951.jpg
20180126_194910.jpg
20180126_194915.jpg

The rust is worst around the welds. Don't fret though friends. The metal is still solid. I will get this cleaned up and protected. Stay tuned!

Man, I feel for you guys who live in the rust belt. Terrible...
I’ll have to locate the video, but unless you have drain holes in your frame water will rot your frame from the inside out as well...rust belt or no rust belt. Salt is significantly worse...I get that, but jeep made a huge design flaw with these frames.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
The inside of the frame is very tedious job.
You need a little rotary tool to be able to insert into it.
I helped a lot of friends back in Chicago, I know the pain.
I am sure it takes a lot of work getting those scales flushed out.

I have already drilled a hole in both sides of the frame, right ahead of the rear LCA mount. 3/8" diameter. I used my power washer to flush the crap. I still need to get my camera in there and take a look to see how it is. Since I have a manual trasmission, there is already a "Drain hole" in the front of the frame...where the auto tranny crossmember mounts up. I don't have that crossmember, so the hole is just there. The front was pretty clean when I did the flush at the end of last summer. I kinda wish for the old days of the CJ Frame...It was a C-Channel instead of fully boxed. Kinda wish they had just done that with thicker walls for stiffness.

My experience: The skid plate's nut & bolt inside the tube frame will prevent the rust scales from getting flushed. Even the cable wire brush can not clean around the nut-serts I just mentioned. Rusts will just gobble up around those four major spots inside there.

Reactions: Starrs
I passionately hate rusts!!!! when I live in Chicago.

I plugged the four drain holes with ear plugs then flooded the frame with POR-15. I kept it there that way for months (you could see I am seriously pissed off with rust).

Hoping that the POR-15 caked up the little rust that mudded my frame. Then I flooded it with Bolied Linseed Oil there after.

I removed the ear plugs after 6 months. Hopefully I won the battle :)

Can we just fill the frame with concrete??? Hahahah
Don't laugh. I bought a '59 MGA parts car and that's exactly what the previous owner did. MGA's are notorious for rusted out frames. They have wood floor boards and the frames rust from the interior out. You can usually strip out the interior and replate the frame before they buckle ... but this guy thought he had a "better idea". :meparto:

Another dirty, dusty day in the shop today. Decided to go all in, and pull my fenders to make sure I get good coverage from my paint. Only broke one bolt, so that was a nice change from my norm.

Here is the drivers frame rail, de-scaled, de-greased, and dried off. This is ready for paint.
20180127_163322.jpg

Spring and shock mount. I found a huge pile of shit in both of the long tubes, spring guides I guess you'd call them.
20180127_163327.jpg

Passenger side, ready for paint.

20180127_163343.jpg

I was going to use POR-15, but couldn't get any locally. So I used this, which is the same stuff. Applies the same, has the same properties. ..same ridiculous price tag too. 43 bucks a quart!

20180127_163403-1.jpg

The rest of the pictures are after my first coat. I'm going to do three coats, then topcoat with some semi gloss spray to knock the sheen down. What a difference though. It's a lot of work, but I'm glad I'm doing it. I love this jeep.

20180127_175305.jpg
20180127_175309.jpg
20180127_175319.jpg

Tomorrow's tasks will be finishing the frame, getting paint on my new steering parts, and sandblasting the support brackets, trays, and jounce bumper cups in prep for chassis saver.

Well. . I'm admitting defeat to the evil rust monster on a couple brackets. The two fender supports are too far gone. Found some good used ones on ebay for 40 bucks... each. Kinda seems like highway robbery, but then again, they are pretty clean.
All that rust on the ground was from those two brackets. I started cleaning them up with the needle descaler, and noticed I could see through them. The metal was half the thickness of what it should be.
20180128_170959.jpg

On a more positive note, I was able to clean up the battery and abs trays.
20180128_143153.jpg

20180128_140929.jpg

Wow those rusts huh?
Glad I escaped out of the rustbelt.

But you can do preventive maintenance with lot's of patience.

I actually kind of enjoy it. I like bringing things back from the "dead." Yeah, its a lot of time, but the satisfaction of knowing you did it, and its better than anything coming out of a factory is nice indeed.

What has been happening in the old garage? Getting things ready to bolt together. Lots of painting lately. I should get the front axle back in this weekend.

Shelf full of cleaned and painted parts, waiting for a place to put them.
LtkRq-NWdKoBLMjc0JZgaj0jr_SNTrUOUyZoG9JT6fQSzinZ1YjCVa0kKZAD6wU0FcVpiFwz3jMM8ihH8w=w1097-h618-no.jpg

My newly painted used Fender Brackets...
eAv9UrS4rt58eUlWNpwOAT9R2ZzscXUiTCVqgD81lXqwk2ziM2rgKexaFwBKrej0WgVlnkknI7HTvIojes=w1097-h618-no.jpg

6cbrY7J1pckqzVIIig-zdyKCeLb9A4Axtt2zAV9rtkoXH-7M5QHOmFxIn1JUKEqwO5wQS-kWYXpKlqqAIJ=w1097-h618-no.jpg

These one are so much nicer than the old ones. Glad I spent the money for them.