derekmac

TJ Addict
Here is a list of what has been done to the Jeep so far, and each thing is linked to its post.
  1. Lifted 3" front, 2" rear
  2. 33" M/T's
  3. Superwinch LP8500
  4. Auxiliary LED lights front
  5. Auxiliary LED back up lights
  6. Locker mod
  7. Tablet mount
  8. Under hood ammo can OBA
  9. Under hood ammo can storage
  10. CB
  11. Door less mirrors
  12. Rugged Ridge steering box skid plate
  13. Rock lights
  14. Homemade front BPE's
  15. Ford Windstar cowl intake
  16. Bestop cargo carrier
  17. New Headlights installed
  18. Tube fenders ordered, will look similar to these
  19. Cut stock front bumper
  20. Hand throttle
  21. Raw tube fender material arrived
  22. Tube fender work started
  23. Fenders finished and installed
  24. Made a mesh top
  25. Picked up an Insta-Trunk
  26. Wired up an in cab winch switch
  27. Installed a new MOOG ZJ tie rod
  28. Mounted my 35" Grabber X3's
  29. Installed rear 4" RC springs
  30. Installed a 1" MML and 1.25" BL
  31. Cheap LED headlights
  32. Checking tire clearance
  33. JKS front track bar and 3.5" Rock Krawler springs
  34. New switch panel
  35. Rear caliper flip, power steering cooler, Viair OBA install
  36. New rims
Here is the 2019 wish list for the Jeep...
  1. Adjustable Currie control arms
  2. Adams or Tom Wood rear DC driveshaft
  3. Paint the Jeep (Desert Tan)
————————————————————————————————————————————————————

So tonight I picked up my 2005 TJ Rubicon. It has 160,000 km (100,000 miles) on it, and is a 6 speed. The lady I bought it from owned it for 6 years, and kept all receipts for the work done on it, and kept it undercoated. It's in good shape, but has the typical TJ rusty fenders and windshield frame.

So, the build plans.... Nothing major on this one. 2" lift, and maybe a 1" body lift, and later down the road, a tummy tuck. Also no bigger than 33" tires. Tires also won't come until new ones are needed. Right now it has 31" Toyo AT's that are still in very good shape.

I don't have much for pics now, but will try to grab more tomorrow.

Last edited:
I like the color combo! The TJ Rubicon even in stock form is very capable, so I can't say I blame you at all for going with a mild build. Congrats on the purchase by the way, I'll bet you love it!

I do love it! It really is exactly what I was looking for, so quite happy I was able to get it! Unfortunately the WJ has to go though. I spent 5 years slowly building it, but it's time for something new. I told my wife I should keep it for a dedicated trail rig, and she was having no part in that, lol.

She really wanted me to get a black one, but there's something about silver TJ's that I just love! That, and it was the only Rubi for sale, lol.

Reactions: Chris
Trust me, you want silver. Black (which I've owned before on numerous vehicles) shows every single imperfection it's just horrible.

Tonight I picked up a Firestick, cable and mount, and got the antenna installed. I haven't pulled my CB from the other Jeep yet, so I still have that to install. Not sure where I'm going to mount it, but I might go with the Rugged Ridge dash mount.

99ED43C1-57DB-422F-B626-FE10241754D6_1.jpg

25B3066E-4D37-466A-A52F-AAA2FAC394C5.jpg

I also did the locker mod, but just did the one where you can engage in any transfer case setting, but has to be below 10 mph. I can't see that being a problem, but if it is, I'll just tap the other wire into it.

7CADE532-886B-4D03-922A-73AB19CAA326.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
I have a friend that has it mounted like that in his JK, and I wasn't really a fan of it there.

For now, I mounted it to the back of the centre console. I haven't done the kid test yet though to see if it'll be in the way of their feet.

A31315C5-B467-4ACC-BE03-4D74D71CA97E_2.jpg

Someone has a set of 2" coil spacers for sale here that I'm thinking about getting. I have a like new set of JK shocks here, and from what I understand, they would work well with a 2" lift.

Reactions: derekmac
That one looks pretty good Chris! If it doesn't work on the back of the console, I think I'll order that one.

For OBA... I had a 2 gallon Viair setup in the WJ, and it worked awesome. The thing is, I can't seem to find a good mounting spot in the TJ. I tried beside the rear seat, but I'm worried one of the kids might lean against it and burn themselves if it has been running, or hit against it off-roading. It takes up too much room in the back too. I think I might have to sell it and just get a compressor that hooks to the battery.

That one looks pretty good Chris! If it doesn't work on the back of the console, I think I'll order that one.

For OBA... I had a 2 gallon Viair setup in the WJ, and it worked awesome. The thing is, I can't seem to find a good mounting spot in the TJ. I tried beside the rear seat, but I'm worried one of the kids might lean against it and burn themselves if it has been running, or hit against it off-roading. It takes up too much room in the back too. I think I might have to sell it and just get a compressor that hooks to the battery.

You could turn the AC into on board air. However, I wouldn't do that of course if you ever use the AC!

You could turn the AC into on board air. However, I wouldn't do that of course if you ever use the AC!
It's too cold here yet to see if the AC works, but if it does, I definitely want to keep it, lol. I know a guy with an XJ that added another AC compressor, and uses that for his OBA. I might look into that, and see how much it'll cost. I'll be selling my Viair, so that should offset a good chunk of the cost I hope.

Let us know what you end up doing. It's never warm enough here to need AC, however, I never wanted to remove mine because it seemed pointless to get rid of something that works just fine. Not to mention, it does add to resale value.

Reactions: Adms01TJ
I picked it up, and did some testing. I found that with the engine running, it was cutting off about 6psi short of what I have it set for. With the engine off, it was shutting off right on the mark. Even if it doesn't work perfect, it'll more than do to get me home and use my proper compressor, and good digital inflator/gauge.

I also spent about an hour ponder how/where to mount my 4" LED lights that I was using for AUX reverse lights. I honestly couldn't come up with something that worked to how I wanted. Well I did, but didn't like my options for running the wires. I want everything I install on this to look very neat and tidy, and this wasn't cutting it. I did mount one though, on top of the drivers side tail light.

757130B9-84FA-4044-885D-E37D7CB360A6.jpg

81A17325-DCB5-4093-A429-6D8393936240.jpg

I drilled a hole in the side of the light, and used a grommet to keep it sealed up, and looking half decent.

11819D00-CEC4-444A-AF28-F7A818C9BBA4.jpg

Also, I LOVE LOCKERS!! I went to a local business park after leaving Canadian Tire, and played around a little. Now there's nothing much to play on, just a little gravel turn around section with ditches on the side. I wanted to try out the 4:1 transfer case, and man is it low!! So much control just letting it go in 1st and not touching the gas. I was going down into the ditch, and up the other side a bit, and it felt so much different than driving the WJ! I think I'll prefer driving a stick off-road. Where the banks were muddy, I was able to test the lockers. Once it would stop moving forward, I engaged the rear locker and it would go a bit further. Started slipping again, engaged the front, and back in business. I can't wait to put it to a proper test!

Damn, now that's what I call reverse lights. I have reverse LED lights myself and it is absolutely awesome being able to see everything behind you when you're backing up in the dark.

It also lets people know you're there which is helpful as well.

Reactions: derekmac
After my first trip night wheeling, and us having to turn around on a narrow trail with deep ditches, I thought to myself "I NEED auxiliary reverse lights".

Today I sprayed the underneath with some LPS 3. There was lots of undercoating from when the previous owner had it, but I noticed a couple of dry spots, so sprayed them, and everything else. I also drilled a couple of drain holes in the rear of the frame.

We drove it to the valley (4 hour round trip) today to pick up a set of 2" coil spacers, and it developed an exhaust bang. Looking at it, the bolts that attach the down pipe to the manifold are a bit loose. There's also a broken hangar in the back just past the muffler. The muffler looks like it's on its last legs, so I'll just wait to get everything exhaust related done all at once.

To prepare for wheeling, I decided to take the front sway bar links out to make sure they were not seized. Started on the passenger side, and it came out nice and easy. "Great" I thought. Went to do the drivers side, the nut came off easily, but the bolt is seized in the link bushing. I tried hitting the bolt with a hammer, and turning it, but it won't break free. I sprayed penetrating fluid on it, so maybe it'll work its way through, and let it break free.

Reactions: Chris