My 1978 GMC motorhome

Possibly. The tanks are less than 7" deep, so I would actually just try an use bolts. It might require some additional frame crossmembers, but that is the leading idea in my mind as well. I'm concerned about rubbing through the plastic with that idea as well...

Could you not simply use padded straps? I don't know what area you have to work with, but I’m thinking something like fuel tanks straps.

1710257168117.jpeg

1710257178680.jpeg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
If you make platforms cover them with cork. For your freshwater you'll want to completely encapsulate it for freeze protection and darkness to prevent algae.

Reactions: Mike_H
While I'm waiting for my new tanks (about two weeks still) We've been working on some of the interior stuff. The bathroom was the source of a lot of discussion back and forth. They are VERY small in an RV, and exceptionally so in a GMC. Ours is bigger, since its a "dry" bath instead of wet, like most of them. What that means actually, is that the area for the comode and sink is VERY, VERY tiny, and it has a VERY, VERY tiny shower in it. We kicked around the idea of 'reinventing" it, similar to this one.

1710805580111.png

1710805603245.png

But we couldn't come up with a good way to keep the shower water where it belongs...plus I have enough projects on this thing. So, we decided, for now, to keep the bathroom set-up the same. Maybe a future project...

As was most of the 70's the bath tub, toilet, and sink were all Harvest Gold. After 45 years, Harvest Gold is a really dark color. Our color pallet is much lighter for this project. The toilet has already been replaced with White, and Sinks are easy to swap...But how the hell were we going to change the shower color?

We tried a new (new to us anyway) produce from Rustoleum and used white epoxy "Tub and Tile" paint to paint the shower stall. After some "learning" we got it to look really nice. Updated the fixtures and bright white paint made a world of different in this shower that is smaller than an old school phone booth. No before pictures, unfortunately.

Shower 1.jpeg

Shower 2.jpeg

Shower 3.jpeg

The bathroom was the source of a lot of discussion back and forth. They are VERY small in an RV, and exceptionally so in a GMC. Ours is bigger, since its a "dry" bath instead of wet, like most of them. What that means actually, is that the area for the comode and sink is VERY, VERY tiny, and it has a VERY, VERY tiny shower in it. We kicked around the idea of 'reinventing" it, similar to this one.

Have you looked for a sink-toilet combo? You might find something that would work for you and open up a little space.

1710855090231.jpeg

1710855100778.jpeg

1710855110335.jpeg

Or the timeless prision daycare unit, sure to be a favorite of the wife. ;)
1710855150026.jpeg

I found one of these for sale at an antique festival last year. I seriously considered buying it for my garage, but couldn't justify $400 for it. If only they had a pic of Capone or Dillinger sitting on it...

View attachment 510712
I found one of these for sale at an antique festival last year. I seriously considered buying it for my garage, but couldn't justify $400 for it. If only they had a pic of Capone or Dillinger sitting on it...

I hear those are great for making wine.

Have you looked for a sink-toilet combo? You might find something that would work for you and open up a little space.

View attachment 510709

View attachment 510710

View attachment 510711

Or the timeless prision daycare unit, sure to be a favorite of the wife. ;)
View attachment 510712

We haven't. The reason the sink is against the wall (like in the example pictures) is that the wheel wells and all the plumbing returns to the tanks are buried back there too, so that bump out is there, regardless of how things are arranged.

Reactions: Wildman and BlueC
While I'm waiting for my new tanks (about two weeks still) We've been working on some of the interior stuff. The bathroom was the source of a lot of discussion back and forth. They are VERY small in an RV, and exceptionally so in a GMC. Ours is bigger, since its a "dry" bath instead of wet, like most of them. What that means actually, is that the area for the comode and sink is VERY, VERY tiny, and it has a VERY, VERY tiny shower in it. We kicked around the idea of 'reinventing" it, similar to this one.

View attachment 510560

View attachment 510561

But we couldn't come up with a good way to keep the shower water where it belongs...plus I have enough projects on this thing. So, we decided, for now, to keep the bathroom set-up the same. Maybe a future project...

As was most of the 70's the bath tub, toilet, and sink were all Harvest Gold. After 45 years, Harvest Gold is a really dark color. Our color pallet is much lighter for this project. The toilet has already been replaced with White, and Sinks are easy to swap...But how the hell were we going to change the shower color?

We tried a new (new to us anyway) produce from Rustoleum and used white epoxy "Tub and Tile" paint to paint the shower stall. After some "learning" we got it to look really nice. Updated the fixtures and bright white paint made a world of different in this shower that is smaller than an old school phone booth. No before pictures, unfortunately.

View attachment 510571

View attachment 510572

View attachment 510573

Are you thinking about going with those colors in the bathroom? They look really nice and clean.

We have an iridescent tile for the bascksplash/wall, but its a darker silver vs that aqua marine. I'm not the color dept, my wife does that, so I'm just getting the big stuff neutral for now, so she can get her accent colors in. I'm thinking the walnut will be part of it, our couch is a coffee brown. The vinyl I'm using to trim out the cockpit is an offwhite, and our cockpit seats are a light gray. The Ceiling and plastic trim on the roof is white as well. So far, everything works together in my mind...we'll see what happens when its all crammed into an 8 x 26 space.

Reactions: toximus
If you have any yellowed plastic I have a trick to fixing that, I did our RV shower when we first bought it, it had yellowed, especially near the top, from being parked in the Arizona sun. I also fixed the slide trim strips. the process is called Retro0brite and uses hairdresser's cream peroxide, UV light and time.

before.jpg

after.jpg

plate before.jpg

plate after.jpg

Last edited:
If you have any yellowed plastic I have a trick to fixing that, I did our RV shower when we first bought it, it had yellowed, especially near the top, from being parked in the Arizona sun. I also fixed the slide trim strips. the process is called Retro0brite and uses hairdresser's cream peroxide, UV light and time.

View attachment 510810

View attachment 510811

View attachment 510812

View attachment 510813

Wish I knew that before I painted all that plastic trim I have.

My waste tanks showed up yesterday on a big FedEx Truck!

1712459027225.png

Spent most of the trying to figure out how to mount these, then getting material, holding them in place, and rethinking my whole mounting process. I DID get the big tank mounted and removed again so I can paint the straps. I ended up going with 2 x 2 x 1/8 Angle. The angle is mounted to the cross members and supports the bottom and sides of the tank. I have two supports right now. I have enough material to add a third, if necessary (like if the center of the tank sags).

Got the tank right where it needs to be. Astute observers might notice the sawdust and new hole...Well, I failed to notice this tank is about 10" longer than the old one. No issue fitting it underneath, but when I told the company that made the tank where I needed my fittings to be, I dimensioned the openings off the closest end from each hole...not from one corner, like I should have (and know better). Not a huge deal, I can make it work. Thankfully it doesn't interfer with anything.

1712459372293.png

And some terrible pictures underneath. Looking at the third picture, I guess I'll have to further modify that cross member too.

1712459593224.png

1712459612874.png

1712459625285.png

And, got my straped deburred, removed pointy corners, and welded a couple tabs on. They are ready for to be cleaned up and painted.

It’s hard to fathom working on something this big, Mike. Kudos to you.

I always tell people, its like restoring a classic car and building a house at the same time. It's daunting and there are days when I just can't bring myself to work on it. Its a constant "pressure" on my psyche, knowing that any time I'm doing anything else, I'm NOT working on my motorhome. I don't have any real timeline though so the only pressure is what I apply to myself and the desire to actually go camping, LOL.

I got the big tank "permanently" mounted today. Cleaned and painted the angle I used to hold it up, then added some cork/rubber gasket material to keep the plastic from rubbing against the steel.

1712542969188.png

And this ol girl (not what I said in the moment) decided to throw me another curve ball. These tanks are just enough different from what came out that everything is becoming custom and nothing is bolt in (kinda like my jeep at this point).

After getting the black tank installed, I started working on the Gray tank and immediately noticed an issue. The new black tank has the outlet more toward the center of the coach than the original. Its not much (maybe 1.5"?) but its enough to stop my progress again...

To be honest, I suspected this might happen. As soon as I noticed that the cutout in the cross member didn't line up with the outlet, I was worried. I was hopeful, but worried. Today confirmed my suspicions. I should have enough room to run a couple elbows to jog the pipe around the corner of the gray tank, but I don't have them and no one around here actually carries a good selection of 3" ABS DWV pipe. So, I'll order a few different elbows (45s and 90s) to make sure it will work.

1712543631741.jpeg

Unfortunately, I can't just move the tank over...Where the inlet comes through the floor is VERY close to the edge of a wall. Moving it any more toward center will put the inlet into a walkway. The inlet is also very close to the edge of the tank, already, so its not like I can move it closer to the edge to move the tank starboard.. If the elbows don't work, I'm going to have to get weird...I might have to run a pipe under the coach and add a bulkhead fitting to my new tank.

Reactions: Rickyd