My 2000 TJ

Saber Jumah

I got this tj not too long ago after a long search for one. It had death wobble since i test drove it. One tire was blown and some surface rust but nothing crazy. I got it for a fair price and didn't mind the work it needed since that was my intention anyway.
I started with replacing the tie rods and ball joints the first week i got it. That came out to be a nightmare. The hub bolts were sized so i had to cut the hub off to get it out. So hubs got replaced in the process. Along with new brakes and rotors. And the ball joints were sized to the poing i broke two of the ball joint press tools trying to get them out.
I still had death wobble so i hurried up n got the lift kit i wanted instead of replacing all control arm bushings. So i got the Rubicon Express 4.5 short arm kit which includes all 8 control arms and the front track bar. Installing it was alot easier than i anticipated. After doing the ball joints i was debating to do it myself or not. But it went through alot better than I imagined.
I'd say the one thing I'd do if i ever do a job like this again is make sure I have all new hardware if my car is from the midwest. Or even better don't buy a project car from a place were rust is common.
I'm still trying to figure out the reason for death wobble
I'm gonna drop the transfer case temporarily until i have time to do and sye and a cv shaft.
Im going with 35s. Still debating whether to go with 15s or stick to the 17s I have on.
Paint job once I'm done with mechanics.
Soft top next spring.
Regear as well once i find someone who would do it for a reasonable price near Chicago. Any recommendations would be nice. Thanks .

Before lift
20180813_010132.jpg

When i finished lifting the front end
20180903_142939.jpg

When i finished lifting it
20180915_141113.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
DW is often a tire balance issue. First thing to do is have the tires balanced, perfectly, then go from there.
I'll be replacing the tires in a couple of weeks hopefully that'll do. I was just holding off on it trying to decide whether to go with 15s or 17s on 35s. Thanks n I'm praying you're right

I like the green personally. I don’t see them that often. I had a wobble when I first got my jeep. All I did was change out my 16 inch wheels and 33 tires to 15 and new 32s and ensured the technician balanced them perfectly, and it rides like a dream now. I’ve heard of some needing to take tires back several times until they found a shop that did a good balance. If it were me, I would have solved your death wobble issue first, before adding in other factors that could contribute to a wobble( lifting it). I guess pay close attention to any changes in the ride after each change you make to it.Tracking down the culprit can be crazy making ive seen. Here’s hoping your tire balance does the trick! Oh, and rust has become your new little friend. Or not. Staying on top of it will be crucial If you want to get out of your jeep the amount of money it looks like you are wanting to stick into it. I bought mine knowing it had rust. Therefore I’m limiting the amount I’m investing in it. So far, that it. The urge is a serious one, and there are tons of enablers on the forum so beware!! But many are rust haters. I’ve embraced the rust! Lol. Have fun!

I made sure to take it around the neighborhood. It brought more attention than anything. And you couldn't see the street. Everyone should do it while thery are at it. It only reminded of old Lincolns and buicks with busted shocks lol.

Reactions: Chris