My 2003 Wrangler feels top heavy

Jbgjeep

Hi all. New here but not new to jeeps. Just bought ‘03 Sahara with low miles, no rust. I noticed when I test drove it that it seemed to feel like it was top heavy (like I could flip it easily)/ and didn’t hold the road as tight as with previous jeeps I’ve had. I know it’s know sports car but this is my 3rd jeep if this vintage and I’ve never experienced this.
Jeep has no mods, no lift, oem tires and wheels.

My gut tells me either shocks, track bars, sway bar , all bushings or all of the above. Not sure where to start.

Lastly I’m new to Denver so if anyone can reco a good mechanic (knowlegable, fair and honest) please pass along.

Thanks all

"My gut tells me either shocks, track bars, sway bar , all bushings or all of the above"

Probably all of the above with tie rods and ball joints thrown in. Check everything and remember, the tires are always the weakest part of a suspension.

Top heavy is top heavy but I think most worn suspension parts create issues like pulling to one side (or the other),
wobbles, vibrations, and/or clunks.

As for the flip easily feeling, the suspension parts I'd look into would be the swaybar links. If they are still connected, it could be the springs, maybe even the shocks if the Jeep seems to bounce to the point of feeling that way. The type, size, and condition of the tires could also play a hand.

"Low miles" on a 16 yr old vehicle can get pretty close to 200,000. While I figure yours is nowhere near that number I'm going to ask, how many miles are on this Jeep?

And pictures, we need pictures! Not that pictures would help us figure it out but it is a TJ.

Last edited:
I'd check the swaybar links first to make sure they are attached. They can sometimes separate at the top mount on the front.
When I replaced all four links, it made a substantial improvement immediately. I also replaced tires, shocks, ball joints and wheel bearings. Each played their part.

Reactions: derekmac
Especially insure the front and rear antiswaybars are connected via both of their links.

Next suspicions would be blown shock absorbers and/or under inflated tires. Exactly what size tires are installed and exactly what air pressure is in them?

Reactions: Jbgjeep
Hi all. New here but not new to jeeps. Just bought ‘03 Sahara with low miles, no rust. I noticed when I test drove it that it seemed to feel like it was top heavy (like I could flip it easily)/ and didn’t hold the road as tight as with previous jeeps I’ve had. I know it’s know sports car but this is my 3rd jeep if this vintage and I’ve never experienced this.
Jeep has no mods, no lift, oem tires and wheels.

My gut tells me either shocks, track bars, sway bar , all bushings or all of the above. Not sure where to start.

Lastly I’m new to Denver so if anyone can reco a good mechanic (knowlegable, fair and honest) please pass along.

Thanks all

I use Bending Wrenches in Arvada (80th/Wadsworth) as my regular shop, and twice in a pinch, used All Seasons 4 wd in Broomfield. They treated me great.

Ray

I use Bending Wrenches in Arvada (80th/Wadsworth) as my regular shop, and twice in a pinch, used All Seasons 4 wd in Broomfield. They treated me great.

Ray
Thanks Ray. Going to a local mechanic that was recommended from a few peeps. Will cost me $60 for them to give me an opinion. It an only be so many different things so let's see what they come up with. Need to get her tightened up. I need to drive this back to CT in the next month or so.

Reactions: WWII Jeeper