A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

WTF!? They said you'd get it yesterday! Ugh!

I know, and it's not like you sent me some massive package either.

It didn't come with today's mail, so maybe tomorrow.

All it says when I track it is, "The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. The item is currently in transit to the destination as of February 15, 2018 at 12:59 pm. It is on its way to SALEM, OR 97304."

Yep, that's true! Didn't even think about that. I think someone just needs to design a non tummy tuck transfer case that looks more visually appealing than the ugly stock one, that's all!

Something like this comes to mind. 0” drop. And it allows you to drop the skid plate without supporting the trans case or transmission. The tube and mouting brackets provide the support. This is the way Jeep should have built it IMO. Pictures from Throttle Down Customs website.* for use with factory trans and transfercase.
5D7648DA-349D-4AE3-8154-594CE162BB2A.jpeg
605F72FA-C79C-4CE3-ACD0-331DD635A92D.jpeg
D4B08B29-B776-4B7F-A9EC-ED102AF70F92.jpeg

ABA94426-56D9-4D49-AD4B-6D6B464EFF5D.jpeg

Only caveat is they list it for 02 and down. But Im going to call them today and ask about an 03+ custom becuase they do custom work.

http://www.throttledownkustoms.com/i-26373455-tj-skid-plate-factory-frame.html

Also, they offer different drops. This would be so much better looking than the stupid skidplate drops that most lifts come with. Although I’m a fan of SYE and not dropping the skidplate.

Also wonder if they could counter sink the skid plate mouting hardware. Yikes.

Also, the folded up end may interfere with the 42RLE trans pan. But thats just a thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Something like this comes to mind. 0” drop. And it allows you to drop the skid plate without supporting the trans case or transmission. The tube and mouting brackets provide the support. This is the way Jeep should have built it IMO. Pictures from Throttle Down Customs website.* for use with factory trans and transfercase.
View attachment 32079 View attachment 32082 View attachment 32081
View attachment 32080

Only caveat is they list it for 02 and down. But Im going to call them today and ask about an 03+ custom becuase they do custom work.

Also, they offer different drops. This would be so much better looking than the stupid skidplate drops that most lifts come with. Although I’m a fan of SYE and not dropping the skidplate.

This is really cool! If you find out they make them for 03+ Rubicon models, be sure to let me know. I would definitely be interested!

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Love the build so far @Chris the only thing baffling me is the winch choice. I would have totally expected an M8000S, whats the deal? Lol.

Reactions: Starrs
Love the build so far @Chris the only thing baffling me is the winch choice. I would have totally expected an M8000S, whats the deal? Lol.

I was going to go with an M8000-S, but I happen to know quite a few people here locally who have this same Smittybilt winch and just abuse the crap out of it and have for a long time. It's held up amazingly well, and never crapped out at once. These are guys who really wheel hard too (way more than the stuff I do). I figured that for the price, I might as well give it a try since it's significantly cheaper, and I won't be putting it to nearly as much abuse as they are.

Reactions: EJD
View attachment 32079 View attachment 32082 View attachment 32081
View attachment 32080

If any one installs one of these post pictures , side angles etc

@Chris Holy crap I am not sure how I missed this, but it looks like some changes need to be made on your first post already.

First I too am curious to see pics of your OME lift. Did you buy heavies or lights? and did you do different for front and rear. Just to let you know I did buy OME Shocks for mine only because they offered a heavy duty for the front to go along with my heavy duty springs. I thought they may play nice together and they definitely do, although I cannot not compare it to the bilstiens. I am a bilsteins fan though. I run those on my Ram.

Also I wanted to clear something up. I am running the lights in the rear and the heavies in the fronts. I have 31" Duratracs and have bump stops extensions in the rear. I have no transfer case drop. Both my front and rear pinion angles are slightly off as you you know when lifting the truck. Also as you know because we have had this conversation I am running the crown control arms not adjustable.

Here is the issues I am having:
Slight vibration on take off. Really not bad and a SYE will most likely take care of it, and is on my list, and at high speeds my steering wanders slightly. Both issues are livable, but I think will be fixed with adjustable control arms. I really want the Curries as you and others have mentioned they are the best but I really think they are overkill for mine and your applications.

A few days ago I believe @Rob5589 posted these and I am seriously considering them. They come in different tiers from 1 - 4 with 4 having double Johnny joints. I am not sure if I even need those but they seem pretty reasonable so I wanted to pass this along to see what you thought.
https://www.core4x4.com/product/complete-control-arm-set-tj-lj-2/

You can even get them in different colors.

They start at rubber and go to JJ.
Anyways. I think the crowns are OK, but to dial in your suspension, I think you will end up getting adjustable control arms.

Also after hooking up my trailer with the lights in the rear it pushed down my rear quite a bit, so I am considering putting the rear heavies back in even though they will give me an incredible rake again; again more need for an an adjustable control arm.

First I too am curious to see pics of your OME lift.

I haven't installed it yet, but as soon as I do, I'll post photos. I have to find a good time to do it with the kids being such a handful!

Did you buy heavies or lights?

I bought the HD springs, front and rear. Same ones I had on my old black TJ Rubicon before I went to the Currie lift.

Just to let you know I did buy OME Shocks for mine only because they offered a heavy duty for the front to go along with my heavy duty springs. I thought they may play nice together and they definitely do, although I cannot not compare it to the bilstiens. I am a bilsteins fan though. I run those on my Ram.

Yep, I'm only running Bilstein 5100s because I had them with my OME springs on my last TJ, and I loved the way it rode. That, and they were much cheaper than the OME shocks as well.

Also I wanted to clear something up. I am running the lights in the rear and the heavies in the fronts. I have 31" Duratracs and have bump stops extensions in the rear. I have no transfer case drop. Both my front and rear pinion angles are slightly off as you you know when lifting the truck. Also as you know because we have had this conversation I am running the crown control arms not adjustable.

I should be fine. I have a Rubicon which has a fixed yoke, so I don't need a SYE like non-Rubicon models do. I also ran this same setup on my black TJ Rubicon with the stock control arms and no transfer case drop, and it was 100% perfect with no vibrations whatsoever.

Slight vibration on take off. Really not bad and a SYE will most likely take care of it, and is on my list, and at high speeds my steering wanders slightly. Both issues are livable, but I think will be fixed with adjustable control arms. I really want the Curries as you and others have mentioned they are the best but I really think they are overkill for mine and your applications.

Yeah, you need a SYE. You may actually be able to pair that with the stock driveshaft (like I have on my Rubicon), stock control arms, and be just fine with no vibrations. I mean that's how it was on my previous Rubicon and it was perfect. And of course, the only thing really different about the Rubicon models is that they have a fixed yoke, whereas yours doesn't.

A few days ago I believe @Rob5589 posted these and I am seriously considering them. They come in different tiers from 1 - 4 with 4 having double Johnny joints. I am not sure if I even need those but they seem pretty reasonable so I wanted to pass this along to see what you thought.
https://www.core4x4.com/product/complete-control-arm-set-tj-lj-2/

I've seen these before, and they are nice! I don't think you need them with only a 2.5" lift, but at the same time, it is nice to have adjustable control arms, especially when they use Johnny Joints! If it's in the budget, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

Anyways. I think the crowns are OK, but to dial in your suspension, I think you will end up getting adjustable control arms.

I won't need adjustable control arms, which is one of the reasons I am staying mild with this build. Not to say I might not get them in the future if I have money burning a hole in my pocket, but I won't actually need them, just as I didn't on my old Rubicon. That's the nice thing about the OME lift when paired with a Rubicon!

Also after hooking up my trailer with the lights in the rear it pushed down my rear quite a bit, so I am considering putting the rear heavies back in even though they will give me an incredible rake again; again more need for an an adjustable control arm.

I would never have the light duty springs on mine. The weight of the rear bumper, plus two kids in the back (and sometimes a hardtop), it just wouldn't make any sense. The HD springs front and rear rode excellent on my previous TJ!

@Chris

I would look into the super short offerings when it comes to SYE for your Jeep. This will net a longer driveshaft for you which will result in less chances for driveline virbrations.

And since you tow a trailer I would go with the HD OME springs under your TJ.

Reactions: ac_ and Chris
I would look into the super short offerings when it comes to SYE for your Jeep. This will net a longer driveshaft for you which will result in less chances for driveline virbrations.

And since you tow a trailer I would go with the HD OME springs under your TJ.
I originally did go with the HD's but it netted me OVER a 2" rake in the rear end. I really liked @bobthetj03 stance on his TJ so I went with the lights and it leveled it down to about a 3/4" rake. Then after all of that, I bought a trailer and that makes it squat. I am almost thinking what I need to do is keep the lights but put in air shocks. but that would be sad because the OME shocks are so nice. What I really need is some OME air shocks. but sadly, I think I will have to put up with a over 2" rake when I am not towing my trailer. Or just change my rear springs and align before and after every tow. I am much too old for that though!

I originally did go with the HD's but it netted me OVER a 2" rake in the rear end. I really liked @bobthetj03 stance on his TJ so I went with the lights and it leveled it down to about a 3/4" rake. Then after all of that, I bought a trailer and that makes it squat. I am almost thinking what I need to do is keep the lights but put in air shocks. but that would be sad because the OME shocks are so nice. What I really need is some OME air shocks. but sadly, I think I will have to put up with a over 2" rake when I am not towing my trailer. Or just change my rear springs and align before and after every tow. I am much too old for that though!

You could put air bags in the rear springs and just air up when you're towing something.

Reactions: Starrs and Chris
This is really cool! If you find out they make them for 03+ Rubicon models, be sure to let me know. I would definitely be interested!
That skid is bitch'in! Will be interested if they offer one for 03+ too.
If any one installs one of these post pictures , side angles etc
Emailed Jeremy at TDK and he reassured me of what i thought would be his answer. They do make the skids for 03+ Wranglers they just are not isted on the website.
EC12D53E-2E1C-4775-A3BF-9DBCE6176DFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: bobthetj03