A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Mine lists "leather wrapped steering wheel" also, but I think Jeep was smoking their lunch the day they installed mine, cause it's the furthest from a leather wrapped steering wheel than I have ever seen. More like molded foam with fake stitching.

Reactions: Chris and jjvw
Haha, so in other words it's fake leather that they're trying to upset as real leather. That's one thing I'm glad I don't have.

Now that Rubi may qualify as "too gorgeous to take off-road " if there is such a thing.. :)

I don't wheel it too crazy. We mostly use it for exploring trails, forest service roads, etc. We do wheel it, it's just not the extreme, undercarriage ripping stuff you see down in Johnson Valley or Moab for instance. So in other words, it's not really a rock crawler.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I blame @Starrs for this one. Texting back-and-forth, he really got my hooked on the AEV Pintler wheels.

Problem is, they only come in 17" size. I figured a 17" wouldn't look quite right with a 33" tire, so I found these babies on eBay

s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

They are take-offs from a brand new 2017 JKU. The tires are BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2s in a 35x12.50R17 size with a D load rating (still better than my E rating, right?).

Anyhow, I scored them for $2200 for a set of 5!

And to think... I said I would never go bigger than 33s... Haha

Looks like I'll have some brand new Moabs and Duratrac tires for sale.

BTW, my rational here is that the true size of these tires is 34.7", so I'll really only be gaining 1" in height with these, so it won't be as extreme as say 37s.

Of course now I REALLY need a re-gear.

Only 2200? Holy crap dude...You and I have a different idea of "only!" Nice wheels though...Now you can go get the 17" Black Magic BBK, so you can get those monsters to stop.

Well if you price it out I would have paid around $2700 for the setup if I bought it new. I figure I can offset the cost by selling my brand new Duratracs and Moab wheels.

These are JK wheels though, so I’ll need adapters. Do you have any recommendations? I ask since I know you run JK wheels.

And yep, the plan now is to re-gear to 5.38 and then get those 17” Black Magic Brakes. That should help with stopping power.

Well if you price it out I would have paid around $2700 for the setup if I bought it new. I figure I can offset the cost by selling my brand new Duratracs and Moab wheels.

These are JK wheels though, so I’ll need adapters. Do you have any recommendations? I ask since I know you run JK wheels.

And yep, the plan now is to re-gear to 5.38 and then get those 17” Black Magic Brakes. That should help with stopping power.
Spidertrax is what everyone recommends. I'm running some from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVKIZW0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They were a bit cheaper, are still fully machined (not cast) and black instead of blue, like the Spydertrax ones. They've been good to me, ymmv.

The big thing to look out for is staying away from the really cheap ones. They are most likely cast...which means they could have porosity (voids) that are impossible to see. STAY AWAY. Get billet adapters and you should be good.

Reactions: JMT and Chris

Will the spacers help with any running if there was going to be? I ask because I get a tad of rub when I turn driver in mine currently. Doesn’t the spacer push it out an Inch or so? God those look good!

I blame @Starrs for this one. Texting back-and-forth, he really got my hooked on the AEV Pintler wheels.

Problem is, they only come in 17" size. I figured a 17" wouldn't look quite right with a 33" tire, so I found these babies on eBay

View attachment 46537 View attachment 46538 View attachment 46539

They are take-offs from a brand new 2017 JKU. The tires are BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2s in a 35x12.50R17 size with a D load rating (still better than my E rating, right?).

Anyhow, I scored them for $2200 for a set of 5!

And to think... I said I would never go bigger than 33s... Haha

Looks like I'll have some brand new Moabs and Duratrac tires for sale.
Does it say Argent or silver anywhere in the listing? They look almost Argent to me haha. But then I look again and I see silver.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Spidertrax is what everyone recommends. I'm running some from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVKIZW0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They were a bit cheaper, are still fully machined (not cast) and black instead of blue, like the Spydertrax ones. They've been good to me, ymmv.

The big thing to look out for is staying away from the really cheap ones. They are most likely cast...which means they could have porosity (voids) that are impossible to see. STAY AWAY. Get billet adapters and you should be good.

I worried about that, which is why I was trying to stay away from the cheap ones. Did you have to use red loctite to install the adapters to the hub?

I’ll order those ones you linked too. I definitely want machined and not cast. I’m no expert on the matter, but I know enough about casting to see how it could break a lot easier than a machined billet piece.

Will the spacers help with any running if there was going to be? I ask because I get a tad of rub when I turn driver in mine currently. Doesn’t the spacer push it out an Inch or so? God those look good!

Spacers would help, but you can also easily adjust your steering stops for free and that will fix it.

Oh, and they are silver. They don’t make JK Pintlers in Argent.

I worried about that, which is why I was trying to stay away from the cheap ones. Did you have to use red loctite to install the adapters to the hub?

I’ll order those ones you linked too. I definitely want machined and not cast. I’m no expert on the matter, but I know enough about casting to see how it could break a lot easier than a machined billet piece.

Spacers would help, but you can also easily adjust your steering stops for free and that will fix it.

Oh, and they are silver. They don’t make JK Pintlers in Argent.
Lol they do, but they are super rare. They don’t make the color In the new pintlers.

Onyx replaced argent***

Last edited:
Dang, nice score Chris! Between the Rock Crawler bumpers and the AEV wheels that'll be sweet. Still kicking myself for not getting that dude here in ATL to respond about that bumper!

Reactions: Starrs