A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

F824B663-889F-4B45-A912-19D7C45B87E1.jpeg
At the time he designed them, the Antirock likely wasn't as popular (it was still new then) as it is today. Hence it wasn't take into consideration.
It can be done ;)

No, from what I understand it won't weaken it whatsoever. You just have to take a considerable amount of material off the bumper.

Here's what you have to do:

View attachment 50470
Far gosh sakes...please use a hole saw when you decide to cut. That square clearance hole looks like garbage.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Geez, every time I get on this thread it’s another marathon read to catch up. You spend money faster than I can read. Do you have any pants that still have pockets? More popcorn, please :icon_popcorn:

That’s why I was so hesitant to cut, because the ones I did see that were cut looked like crap.
That can be done pretty cleanly. Use a 1" hole saw to radius the corners, and then chop out the rest with an angle grinder and maybe a receipt saw.

That can be done pretty cleanly. Use a 1" hole saw to radius the corners, and then chop out the rest with an angle grinder and maybe a receipt saw.

Yep, that’s my plan of attack. I don’t mind cutting it at all, I just want it to look clean and not like some hack job like that one in the photo I posted.

@Chris thanks for sharing the cost of your build. I've come to realize that you get what you pay for.Your TJ is the nicest in all of Oregon for sure, and I am sure it's worth to you more than what you put in. Now finish that build and enjoy driving that beauty!

Reactions: Chris
@Chris thanks for sharing the cost of your build. I've come to realize that you get what you pay for.Your TJ is the nicest in all of Oregon for sure, and I am sure it's worth to you more than what you put in. Now finish that build and enjoy driving that beauty!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I just wanted to add up the costs to prove a point. That point being that things add up really quick, and that it's very easy to see how some of these guys have 40k into a build, especially if you consider V8 swaps and what not.

As @jjvw mentioned, A hole saw and a cutting wheel...Cut holes to round the corners, and cut straight lines off the tangents of your circles.

Do you think a cutting wheel (I have one I got from Harbor Freight) would be the best tool for this job?

Do you think a cutting wheel (I have one I got from Harbor Freight) would be the best tool for this job?
For Sure. Don't forget the Hole saw though. I honestly think I'd buy a 3 or 4" bi-metal hole saw and try to center it up on that frame crossmember that the Anti-Rock goes through. Not sure what one costs though...might be prohibitive. The alternative is to sketch out your clearance, get your centerpoint to make the circle tangent to the two lines that form the corners. Drill your holes, so you have rounded corners, then follow your lines to connect the holes with straight cuts.

I cut mine for the Antirock but still need to take a little more off the front to give the arm full clearance. I used a cut-off wheel on the angle grinder as well as a grinding disc and tried to stay as straight as I could. The plan now is to take the bumper up to the shop doing some work on the LJ and have them use their plasma cutter to clean up the clearances for me. In hindsight I should have had @Ranger_b0b come over with a hole saw and get me started......

IMG_5419.jpg

I cut mine for the Antirock but still need to take a little more off the front to give the arm full clearance. I used a cut-off wheel on the angle grinder as well as a grinding disc and tried to stay as straight as I could. The plan now is to take the bumper up to the shop doing some work on the LJ and have them use their plasma cutter to clean up the clearances for me. In hindsight I should have had @Ranger_b0b come over with a hole saw and get me started......

View attachment 50536

That doesn’t look too bad, I’m sure it will look even better when it’s done. How much more material do you think you need to remove from the front to get full clearance on the Antirock?